Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

SuperCharger Question

Old 05-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
HaoleBilt
elsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave Smith
elsenordave's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb SuperCharger Question

I just got my truck off the transporter (8miles on the ODO) and its got a full tank of regular in it
I'm installing my Supercharger on it tomorrow and need it not to be regular...can I cheat and throw some octane boost in or do I need to drain the tank??
Mahalo ahead of time!!
Old 05-29-2013, 06:33 AM   #2
Never Satisfied
KingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed
KingKoda's Tacoma Gallery
I think you will be fine. You can if you want. My truck had 8-10 miles on it when the supercharger was installed, and I am pretty sure there was just regular gas in the tank. You don't really want to be rompin' on it for a little while anyway. 1000 mile break in, drive it normal just don't race the engine much until the seals set and what not.

Manual says during break in not to maintain certian rpm's for long periods....well, I was headed out on a 4 hour road trip the day after I picked up my truck. All is well after 12000 miles, I just didn't get on it hard until about the first oil change. I drive normal for me 95% of the time and occasionally let the engine stretch it's legs. It's also fun getting on the highway and passing traffic. Actually, I like the whine and probably get on it more than I think I do.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
HaoleBilt
elsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKoda View Post
I think you will be fine. You can if you want. My truck had 8-10 miles on it when the supercharger was installed, and I am pretty sure there was just regular gas in the tank. You don't really want to be rompin' on it for a little while anyway. 1000 mile break in, drive it normal just don't race the engine much until the seals set and what not.

Manual says during break in not to maintain certian rpm's for long periods....well, I was headed out on a 4 hour road trip the day after I picked up my truck. All is well after 12000 miles, I just didn't get on it hard until about the first oil change. I drive normal for me 95% of the time and occasionally let the engine stretch it's legs. It's also fun getting on the highway and passing traffic. Actually, I like the whine and probably get on it more than I think I do.
Thanks bro!!
Old 05-29-2013, 11:11 PM   #4
HaoleBilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKoda View Post

I threw a BG 44k kit in so we will see tomorrow when I start it up tomorrow
Old 05-29-2013, 11:18 PM   #6
HaoleBilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
Yup gotta reflash it in the morning...and then fire it up!
Old 06-01-2013, 08:52 AM   #7
AZWildcat is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Ladder Capt. turned Medic
Name: Rickster
AZWildcat's Tacoma Gallery
You only need the higher octane to suppress the fuel burn rate when you are under boost. Given it's a new truck and needs a break-in, I'd suggest you burn that entire tank and not put your truck into boost. Good luck...I'm not sure I could do it.

Your idea to put in an octane boost product would work, but you don't have a lot of control of the octane rating that will jump your fuel to.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
HaoleBilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZWildcat View Post
You only need the higher octane to suppress the fuel burn rate when you are under boost. Given it's a new truck and needs a break-in, I'd suggest you burn that entire tank and not put your truck into boost. Good luck...I'm not sure I could do it.

Your idea to put in an octane boost product would work, but you don't have a lot of control of the octane rating that will jump your fuel to.
Thanks!
Old 06-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #9
Lord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Mar Div
Name: Nick
Lord Helmet's Tacoma Gallery
I see you have a intake on it. I remember Toyota saying not to have a intake installed with their supercharger. They claim it will lean out the engine too much. I hope the truck is tuned for that intake with the supercharger though.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #10
HaoleBilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
I see you have a intake on it. I remember Toyota saying not to have a intake installed with their supercharger. They claim it will lean out the engine too much. I hope the truck is tuned for that intake with the supercharger though.
It should be...

the 2nd Gen TRD intake has lean issues but not the AFE/TRD one that I have on it...
Old 06-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #12
HaoleBilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by S7ICKlVlAN View Post
Nice mods so far Dave.
thanks!!
Old 10-29-2013, 11:14 PM   #14
HaoleBilt

Just hit 5k no lights no issues!