1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cold Air In-take, anyone?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by ZombieHorde, May 30, 2013.

1. Aug 11, 2013 at 9:29 AM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    I couldn't have said it any better :thumbsup:

2. Aug 11, 2013 at 11:43 AM
    tank3105

tank3105 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    13 baja T/X edition supercharged
    Supercharged.
    Bought my volant for 240 shipped with the 100,000 mile filter. Get it cheap on ebay. Glad I bought it, helped the supercharger out. The ram air part is garbage IMHO, plus I offroad.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Aug 11, 2013 at 1:23 PM
    Gadget@URD

Gadget@URD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Southern Maryland USA
    Vehicle:
    URD Supercharged XRunner

The Volant intake seems to have some issues.

It seems that it causes a significant amount of MAF sensor error. The fuel trims deviate heavily and the resulting AFR in open loop is very much richer than stock killing power and MPG.

We had one customer come by URD when we had our shop in California. He stopped by the dyno before he got to URD. We installed the MAF Cal and did a quick road tune and we were surprised how rich it was running. He left and stopped back at the same dyno on the way home. The result was a 30 RWHP gain after tuning with the MAF Cal and he reported he also got a nice jump in MPG.

I have also tuned a couple out here on the East Coast and the result was pretty much the same.

We do have a map we can preload in the MAF Cal for the Volant intake.

I have heard they have a new version out for the 2012 and later V6 that seems to have a different tube design where the MAF sensor is. I have not checked/tuned this new version yet so I cannot say how much induced MAF sensor error there is.

Anyway, if you have the older version of the Volant, do a quick check of your fuel trim deviation and AFR at WOT and max RPM. If you find your tune to be a little on the jacked up side, we can help straighten that out for you.

G

4. Feb 3, 2015 at 6:46 AM
    ZombieHorde

ZombieHorde [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma TRD Off
    Cat Back Exhaust, pondering others...
    UPDATE: 2 years later, I thought I would update this thread. I installed mine last night. Instructions blow, basically just went off commonsense, because their's are horrible. A lot left to guess. It took me 2 hours to install, 30 minutes of that was wrestling with the air filter to get in mounted in the CAI box. Finally just used a bit of WD40 on my finger and placed it around the edge of the filter on the rubber. It finally went on. The MAS Air Sensor doesn't seat well on the tube from the box to the engine intake. Not seeing a huge gain in HP, but my acceleration is up at 3500 RPM and higher. I have a TRD Cat Back Exhaust. This is a pricey quick MOD, as of now I am not sure it was worth it. Will get back to you

20150202_173400.jpg
    20150202_200133.jpg

5. Feb 3, 2015 at 6:51 AM
    cgs2k2

cgs2k2 old man

Member:
    nice update. i had a CAI for a while, I also had an MBRP cat back exhaust for a while. had both of them on for a short while. now i am running completely stock. i never hit a dyno, but honestly, i felt my trucks performance remained pretty much the same through all of the combinations of intake/exhaust/both. i don't doubt i could have gained some power, but nothing ever too noticeable. it did sound good. now i just do too many long trips and the extra noise was starting to get on my nerves... maybe i'm getting old.

6. Feb 4, 2015 at 3:27 PM
    ZombieHorde

ZombieHorde [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma TRD Off
    Cat Back Exhaust, pondering others...
    Yeah, not sure it was all worth it. And the noise is annoying this "old" guy too.

7. May 3, 2016 at 7:47 AM
    WorldWar546

WorldWar546 Baja Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthon
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    TRD Charged '14 Black TX Baja
    TRD Supercharger And a lot of rice n chrome
    Nice set up man looks really good! How did you mount the Volant Scoop on the AFE?

Products Discussed in

To Top