Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Does my computer compensate for elevation?

Old 06-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
ChrisGralnic is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
ChrisGralnic's Tacoma Gallery
Does my computer compensate for elevation?

i am moving to high elevation (about 8500 ft asl) I have the 4 cl and am worried about power loss. My father, who is a master tech, told me getting a high flow air filter is a waste of money and to keep it the way its built to be. He believes that the more you change things around the more problems you will have. He told me my truck has a float that compensates the elevation change. true?
Old 06-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Your truck is EFI, no float. The MAF compensates for airflow and density that comes with elevation changes.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
ChrisGralnic is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
ChrisGralnic's Tacoma Gallery
So would a high air flow filter or a cold air intake benefit me? or would it be a waste of money? Not trying to make my 4cl fast. Just maintain the power it should have.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
There is a difference between having a restrictive filter, or whatever else, and not having enough air density. Can't really bring the density back at high altitude.
This

I drove to the top of mauna kea (13,000 ft) a bunch of times, with the stock air filter and with a aftermarket drop in and notice a whopping nada change in performance between the two