Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Exhaust that doesn't sound like a ricer for 2013 Tacoma

Old 06-06-2013, 03:44 AM   #1
eaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud of

Army: SPC
Name: Cory
eaglesfn5402's Tacoma Gallery
Exhaust that doesn't sound like a ricer for 2013 Tacoma

Read multiple threads and watched a lot of videos to compare sounds. Flowmaster, Borla, TRD, MBRP, MagnaFlow, Gibson, Dynamax, etc.

The videos are nice and all and I'd love to be able to hear stuff in person before spending $ but with being stationed in Geramny not a lot of people have Tacomas (and the ones I do just have stock exhaust).

Has anyone came up with a exhaust set up thats loud but doesnt sounds more like a V8 and not a damn weed eater?

Single or Dual, straight back or dumped, etc. I'm open to all options as long as i dont sound like a pissed off bumble bee.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:05 AM   #2
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
In my opinion, no V6 setup sounds like a deep dumbly V8. It was the same when I owned a V6 Mustang in college. People would throw duals on them and they end up sounding hollow. There are some Tacoma mufflers hat sound nice at idle or low rpm but when you get on it, no one is like "where's that V8 coming from?".

If you want a V8 sound and not just a raspy loudness, I suggest you just save your $$ and don't even go down the road of changing your taco's exhaust.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:59 AM   #3
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
no V6 setup sounds like a deep dumbly V8
+2. Now if it was an I6 then yes you would get a nice V8 sound.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:15 AM   #4
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
18" or 22" magnaflow. Sounds nice w/no ricey sound. Youtube clips are available.http://youtu.be/Tye4pCr6e1c
Old 06-06-2013, 08:08 AM   #5
BigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant future

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfn5402 View Post
i dont sound like a pissed off bumble bee.
Lolz on the bumble bee comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO TX View Post
18" or 22" magnaflow. Sounds nice w/no ricey sound.
X2 on the magnaflows! Huge step from stock but not ricey at all and that was what I wanted to avoid. If you end up deciding on a magnaflow, I think TacoTX is right that 18" to 22" is the sweet spot but if you want to turn heads go with the 14". I installed my magnaflow with cat-back over the weekend and love the sound.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
eaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOly View Post

X2 on the magnaflows! Huge step from stock but not ricey at all and that was what I wanted to avoid. If you end up deciding on a magnaflow, I think TacoTX is right that 18" to 22" is the sweet spot but if you want to turn heads go with the 14". I installed my magnaflow with cat-back over the weekend and love the sound.
What length did you go with?
Old 06-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
In my opinion, no V6 setup sounds like a deep dumbly V8. It was the same when I owned a V6 Mustang in college. People would throw duals on them and they end up sounding hollow. There are some Tacoma mufflers hat sound nice at idle or low rpm but when you get on it, no one is like "where's that V8 coming from?".

If you want a V8 sound and not just a raspy loudness, I suggest you just save your $$ and don't even go down the road of changing your taco's exhaust.
Anything that's louder and deeper then stock but still not rice?
Old 06-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
BigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant future

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What length did you go with?
14", it came with my MF cat-back system and it turns many heads in a good way Going to eventually swap it for a more conservative 18" at the muffler shop so that my wife will stop nagging me about the extra attention I'm getting from it while on the road.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #9

Quote:

Do you have it dumped or straight back? And what diameter is it? 2.5" or 3"?

Edit: meant to quote your second post, stupid iPhone.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
Aero Turbine 2525XL FTMFW!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cOLinhprvg
Do you buy it with 4 catalytic converters? We just have one stock correct? So what would it sound like with one, and what is the purpose of 4?
Old 06-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #12

Quote:
14", it came with my MF cat-back system and it turns many heads in a good way Going to eventually swap it for a more conservative 18" at the muffler shop so that my wife will stop nagging me about the extra attention I'm getting from it while on the road.
http://www.carid.com/2005-toyota-tac...s-1678649.html is this somewhat like what you are referring to?
Old 06-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #13
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do you buy it with 4 catalytic converters? We just have one stock correct? So what would it sound like with one, and what is the purpose of 4?
We have 4 bone stock.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #14
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No it's just the muffler welded in place of the stock one. We have 4 cats stock, and that's what my truck has. Plenty of sound, great low end rumble, and the best part.........*drum roll, please*.........absolutely no drone. But you MUST get the 2525XL, because the 2525 does not have the built in resonator. Without it, you'll be tearing your hair out on the highway.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #15

So if I went with this:
http://www.ourdealsrock.net/aeroexhaustat2525xl.aspx

I'd just replace the stock one with this and it would sound like the video clip? 4 catalytic converters seems like overkill.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #16
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So if I went with this:
http://www.ourdealsrock.net/aeroexhaustat2525xl.aspx

I'd just replace the stock one with this and it would sound like the video clip? 4 catalytic converters seems like overkill.
Yessir. And the 4 cat converters is 2 per pipe before the Y. Pretty standard to be 50 states legal. Do I agree with it? Not really...but it's never bothered me.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Yessir. And the 4 cat converters is 2 per pipe before the Y. Pretty standard to be 50 states legal. Do I agree with it? Not really...but it's never bothered me.
So are trucks would be prime targets not only for the tailgates but the crackheads would have a hell of a payday with the 4 cats.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #18
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No it's just the muffler welded in place of the stock one. We have 4 cats stock, and that's what my truck has. Plenty of sound, great low end rumble, and the best part.........*drum roll, please*.........absolutely no drone. But you MUST get the 2525XL, because the 2525 does not have the built in resonator. Without it, you'll be tearing your hair out on the highway.
uhhh....i have the 2525 and im not tearing my hair out on the hwy lol
Old 06-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #20
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
OP, no one has said it yet, but exhaust sound is very subjective. What is ricey to one, is a deep performance sound to another, what is no drone to one is drone to another. IOW, it's all a crapshoot as to whether you will like it or not.

For example, all the "press" around here stated the the TRD is the best catback if you want a bit more sound without being annoying and no drone. I put one on, and to me, just off idle to 1500, sounded ricey. At 2500 I had a drone. Above 3000, all good. Ended up taking it off as I have little tolerance for drone.

Right now I have a Magnaflow drop-in installed. The 22" case, 5x8 oval (12586). To me it's still a bit ricey just off idle, but not too bad, has a sound peak at 2200 rpm (not a drone, but a sound peak), and all good at 3000+. I'll probably stay with this.

FYI, I was also considering a Borla drop-in, since Borla was the catback on the older Texas Edition Tacoma's, but then decided to go Magnaflow.