Notices

Which is a stronger, 3.4 or 4.0?

View Poll Results: 3.4 or 4.0
3.4 77 21.81%
4.0 276 78.19%
Voters: 353. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #21
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
wuh
confused about???
Old 06-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #22
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
first gen > second gen
4.0 > 3.4

first gen + 4.0 = sex
Old 06-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #23
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs.
LukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: luke
LukeBo4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by higherlux View Post
first gen > second gen
4.0 > 3.4

first gen + 4.0 = sex
That would be a sick combo
Old 06-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #24
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeBo4x4 View Post
That would be a sick combo
no a first gen with a supercharged 4.0 would be sick
Old 06-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #25
LukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
very true.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #26
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gincoma View Post
confused about???
So by driven, you mean timing?
Old 06-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #27
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Meh, the 1GR blower from TRD is more hype than it's worth IMO. Unless you are hitting 3k+ rpms everytime, you don't get your moneys worth out of it.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:59 PM   #28
LET IT EAT®
SLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SLOBRA's Tacoma Gallery
What's the highest mileage 4.0 anyone knows of? Obviously I'm impressed with 300,000+ miles out of a 3.4, just hoping to see the same out of my 4.0 someday! I could give a shit less about HP, I bought a Toyota truck for longevity.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOBRA View Post
What's the highest mileage 4.0 anyone knows of? Obviously I'm impressed with 300,000+ miles out of a 3.4, just hoping to see the same out of my 4.0 someday! I could give a shit less about HP, I bought a Toyota truck for longevity.
my brothers 4.0 has 174,xxx, still runs good.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #30
dph473 is on a distinguished road
dph473's Tacoma Gallery
I've owned both. I like the current 4.0 but it would be interesting to see if the longevity of the 4.0 will match or surpass the 3.4. Only time will tell I guess.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #31
jake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jake
jake72's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOBRA View Post
theres a guy on here with 300,000 on his 4.0
Old 06-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #32
Lord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Mar Div
Name: Nick
Lord Helmet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
no a first gen with a supercharged 4.0 and URD "stealth" pulley would be sick
Corrected for ya
Old 06-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dph473 View Post
I've owned both. I like the current 4.0 but it would be interesting to see if the longevity of the 4.0 will match or surpass the 3.4. Only time will tell I guess.
i know a dude with 350,xxx plus on his 3.4. its a 2000 truck.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #34
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yota243 View Post
i did a quick search because i couldnt even believe the 3.4 got any votes, and found that the 2004 DC (didnt say long bed or short) 4x4 boast a 19.5 power to weight ratio and a 2013 DCLB 4x4 a mere 17.9. this is shocking to me actually i new that the 2nd gen was bigger and a little heavier but couldnt of imagined it being out done in anyway really by its predecessor.
What calculation do you do to get those numbers? I thought a lower number was better as in less pounds per horsepower. Am I doing that wrong?
Old 06-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #35
mach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
mach1man001's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yota243 View Post
i did a quick search because i couldnt even believe the 3.4 got any votes, and found that the 2004 DC (didnt say long bed or short) 4x4 boast a 19.5 power to weight ratio and a 2013 DCLB 4x4 a mere 17.9. this is shocking to me actually i new that the 2nd gen was bigger and a little heavier but couldnt of imagined it being out done in anyway really by its predecessor.
I didn't do any reasearch on the models but when power to weight ratio is discussed it is usually how many pounds to each horsepower. So if a 2004 4x4 really is 19.5 that means it has 19.5 pounds per each horsepower. So if a 2013 has a 17.9 ratio it would be better/more powerful because it has less pounds per HP to move.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #36
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for confirming that, mach.

Just for reference, a 2.7 standard cab 2X4 is a measly 22.32.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:20 PM   #37
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by miacevedo View Post
Why would Toyota ever make the 4.0 weaker?
Well, the 22-re was about as strong as it got and they got rid of it
Old 06-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #38
AWilson013 is on a distinguished road

Army: Boom
Name: Alex
AWilson013's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luka View Post
4.0 > 3.4 + TRD supercharger

I tested this with my 4.0 and my co-workers 3.4+blower
Either your co-worker is driving a 5spd and cannot drive, or he's running just the SC with no supporting modifications. I have shat on many brah's with their 4.0's. I did fall victim to a SC'd XRunner though... Feelsbadman.jpeg

IMO, the 4.0 is the STRONGER motor. The 3.4 is the more durable (until the 4.0 proves us wrong).
Old 06-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #39
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gincoma View Post
4.0L = Chain driven
3.4L= Belt driven...........The 4.0l is stronger in power and more durable
but, if the belt snaps on the 3.4 it shouldn't harm it.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:27 PM   #40
NW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NW4RUNNER's Tacoma Gallery
Stronger?