Notices

Which is a stronger, 3.4 or 4.0?

View Poll Results: 3.4 or 4.0
3.4 77 21.81%
4.0 276 78.19%
Voters: 353. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #81
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by egan View Post
they didn't make 1st gen DCLB, so that would make it a DCSB
Actually, they did. Obviously rare, but they exist in the Pacific Northwest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgecko View Post
Toyota engine's are like the Duracell bunny......
Almost true. The 3VZE(3.sl0w) was a piece of junk.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #82
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettBretterson View Post
Actually, they did. Obviously rare, but they exist in the Pacific Northwest.

Almost true. The 3VZE(3.sl0w) was a piece of junk.
No DCLB for 1st gen, and the 3.slow was the worst engine they ever put in a truck.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #83
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco terror View Post
No DCLB for 1st gen.
Yes, there is. This has been debated more that once before.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #84
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Really? I am interested in seeing a picture of one.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #85
Lord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Mar Div
Name: Nick
Lord Helmet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Really? I am interested in seeing a picture of one.
Me too
Old 06-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #86
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
x2 I have seen one before myself. They aren't very common though at all
Old 06-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #87
BillJC is on a distinguished road

Name: Bill
BillJC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Really? I am interested in seeing a picture of
one.
I remember seeing one in the 1st gen section. Here's a link to the thread and a pic from RelentlessTaco.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...dnt-exist.html

Old 06-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #88
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSgt - A.G.E. Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
well since guys are boosting the 4.0 to the mid 400's range in the ponies, i would say 4.0.
I know it's a little late, but just sayin lol

http://youtu.be/uDxxnZQvYeg
Old 06-27-2013, 11:44 PM   #89
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
3.4 is stronger all the way around. Might not be as efficient as the 4.0, thus the lower power output, but it is definitely an engine that was build with strength and durability in mind.

Iron block, closed deck is a good starting point.

4.0, is all aluminum, open decked with sleeve liners. Powder cast steel rods, and weak ring-lands.

2rz,3rz,5vz > 1GR
This.

Plus isn't like the stoke of a 5vz like modeled after f1? Or some other race motor?

3.4l takes boost better too I think I've read.

I've experienced both many time. Including my dads supercharged beast 1gr. It's a great motor. But I still think the 3.4l is more durable.

But for real the 22re was the most damn bullet proof motor ever created on the face if this earth other then a 12valve Cummings.

Either way. Fuck em both. 3uzfe swap for me
Old 06-27-2013, 11:47 PM   #90
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Iím going to say 4.0 like others. more many reasons more power. itís also has a timing chain instead of a belt, and is said to last 2x as long.

If anything i would say they are at least the same. but with the 4.0 being a little newer, and having a very better set up parts(i.e chain over timing belt.) i have to say the 4.0 is stronger. it sure as hell is not a weaker/ less reliable engine.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:55 PM   #91
Yotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant future

Name: Ze
Yotamac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luka View Post
4.0 > 3.4 + TRD supercharger

I tested this with my 4.0 and my co-workers 3.4+blower
did the same with my buddy who had a 3.4 TRD supercharged 4 runner
blew me away... he also had a lift and larger aftermarket rims and tires as my 4.0 DC Taco... I was a little jealous but at least its still a Toyota
That supercharger kicks ass!
Old 07-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #92
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
theres no replacement for displacement
Old 07-27-2013, 06:37 AM   #93
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeBo4x4 View Post
My brother and I have arguing bout which moter is stronger. i say the 3.4 is and he says the 4.0 is, so what do yall think?
Depending on what "stronger" means in this case, but overall I'd say your brother wins, the 4.0 is not only faster/higher performance but it gets better gas mileage too...
Old 07-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #94
Icepuck72 is just really niceIcepuck72 is just really niceIcepuck72 is just really niceIcepuck72 is just really nice

Firefighter:
Name: Mark
Icepuck72's Tacoma Gallery
4.0 by far. I've owned both.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #95
Older Guy
Smardt Turbocor is a jewel in the roughSmardt Turbocor is a jewel in the roughSmardt Turbocor is a jewel in the rough
Name: Galen
Smardt Turbocor's Tacoma Gallery
1996 tacoma inSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeBo4x4 View Post
very tough moter for sure.
I just purchased my first pickup truck 1996 Tacoma V-6. 212,000, probably original engine. Gas mileage 26 - 27 mpg. Last fill up pulled 29 mpg.
(5 speed manual transmission with a driver who knows how to use it properly)

The gas mileage suggests the engine is in great condition.

The thing about durability. It depends on design, quality or parts, etc. But REMEMBER, the harder you stress something, the quicker it wears out.

So an unloaded stock, 4.3 liter = low stressed engine Add a turbo charger, more cubic inches and guess what ?

Horsepower comes with a price.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #96
JabbaJabbaJabba
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
2jz
Old 09-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #97
ag3nt0rang3 is on a distinguished road
ag3nt0rang3's Tacoma Gallery
The old saying holds true: There's no replacement for displacement!
Old 09-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #98
yota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: E.J.
yota243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag3nt0rang3 View Post
The old saying holds true: There's no replacement for displacement!
F/I comes real close if it isn't a replacement.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #99
trdtoy is on a distinguished road
trdtoy's Tacoma Gallery
I would say the 3.4 over the 4.0 by a narrow margin. The 4.0 seems a lot more sensitive to knock and failure than the 3.4. The turbo 3.4 I had was making more power daily driven than most of these 4.0's are failing at. Also the 3.4 can be built to hold more power than the 4.0 per a post I read gadget posted somewhere.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #100
wildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shed
wildcats's Tacoma Gallery
There is a 4th gen 4runner who claims to have over 500k miles on his 4.0. I think his username is 8007m, or something like that.