Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Safari vs Airflow Snorkels

Old 06-18-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
Frogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: On EOS duty
Name: Chris
Frogsauce's Tacoma Gallery
Safari vs Airflow Snorkels

Any opinions on a Safari Snorkel vs a Airflow Snorkel?

Safari:
http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/safarisnorkel.html

Airflow:
http://trdparts4u.toyotaofdallas.com...dproduct=-9554

Mainly for dust/light water and to act as a cais.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Ive got the safari, its actually made for the hilux, which im sure you know, so the lines dont match up perfectly. Installation wasnt to bad about 6-7 hours. Took breaks and measured 3-5+ times so i only had to drill once . Overall not bad at all, havent heard to much about the airflow, i know they are made specifically for taco's so installation is supposed to be alot easier. A few members are running them now from what ive seen.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
hcoulby is on a distinguished road
Name: Barry
hcoulby's Tacoma Gallery
I was about to ask the same question.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
n00b waffle
mutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mutilatedjak's Tacoma Gallery
Sadly its not like one of those mods where you can swap it out and try both, like going between foxes and kings heh heh. I like my safari, install takes a good 6+ hours like others have said. I did see a 2mpg gain from it. I imagine the airflow one would improve mpgs somewhat too, but I'm not sure how the airflow plumbing compares to the safari.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #6
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
i'm a fan of the airflow

the larger hood sucks in a lot of shit though...watch out in big snow storms if it's wet snow..to help even more with dust i have a donaldson pre-cleaner

pre-cleaner helps a TON with the dust! did a week in moab for cruise with the normal hood on and after a week i tapped out a good amount of dust from my AFE filter. after a week in moab for rock therapy at the end of may, i used primarily my donaldson and insignificant amount of dust was in the filter. i caught more dust in the filter on my way home when i swapped back to the normal hood than 10 days in utah using my donalson.

couple safari snorkels next to my airflow with donaldson
Old 06-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #7
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedjak View Post
Sadly its not like one of those mods where you can swap it out and try both, like going between foxes and kings heh heh. I like my safari, install takes a good 6+ hours like others have said. I did see a 2mpg gain from it. I imagine the airflow one would improve mpgs somewhat too, but I'm not sure how the airflow plumbing compares to the safari.
big difference in the plumbing comes with the diameter of the tubing..4" throughout with the airflow..the factory tubing is actually slightly smaller than the airflow. so less restriction there. plus the tubing is made so you do not have to modify the inner engine bay to meet up with the factory intake like a lot of people have to do with the safari.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›

NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
downfall with the airflow is mainly aesthetics..lot of people don't like the looks of the larger hood and they stick up slightly higher than safari.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:48 PM   #9
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Snorkel is next on the list of stuff I am saving to do. I was, and still am torn between the two, though I know ARB makes a good quality product, I'm sure Airflow does as well. I would like to see more results here before I would make my final decision, because personally, I was leaning more toward the Safari snorkel due to it's reputation of being a proven product.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:54 PM   #10
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›

NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
airflow = made for 2nd gens

safari = made for a hilux and modified to fit 2nd gens.

what it's made for
http://www.safarisnorkel.com/snorkel...d/ss135hfd.htm

modified to fit
http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/tec...o_snorkel.html
Old 06-18-2013, 07:10 PM   #11
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCO View Post
i'm a fan of the airflow

the larger hood sucks in a lot of shit though...watch out in big snow storms if it's wet snow..to help even more with dust i have a donaldson pre-cleaner

pre-cleaner helps a TON with the dust! did a week in moab for cruise with the normal hood on and after a week i tapped out a good amount of dust from my AFE filter. after a week in moab for rock therapy at the end of may, i used primarily my donaldson and insignificant amount of dust was in the filter. i caught more dust in the filter on my way home when i swapped back to the normal hood than 10 days in utah using my donalson.

Any charge air temperature or vacuum pressure issue w/ that precleaner?? I know Airflow has a TON of warnings about using the hood facing the right direction...
Old 06-19-2013, 04:01 AM   #12
Frogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I was leaning more towards Airflow since it was made for the Tacoma.

But if the only downside is aesthetics, then I don't consider that a problem.

Does the Donalson restrict any airflow? I would assume it's negligible; any reason to swap them in and out?
Old 06-19-2013, 06:18 AM   #13
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›

NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
i do notice a slight drop in mpg with the donaldson due to the air being sucks in versus jammed down it's throat..

temps are maybe 1-2* higher with the donaldson...with the normal hood i see 0-5* over outside temps normally..anything >30mph i'm usually about outside temps

normal driving i use the normal hood...dusty and snowy conditions i'll be using the donaldson. last trip to moab i was seeing sustained winds around 50+ i'd say coming at me, at that point i switched over to the donaldson for the rest of the trip because the winds kicking up all the dust around the state. and like i said, after 10 days of driving all around utah, there was insignificant amounts of dust that made it to the filter. so it did its job well i'd say!

so..
temps...slightly
vacuum...not that i noticed
airflow...restricted enough to slightly drop my mpg
daily driving..not recommended, stay with the main hood
dusty/snowy..highly recommended
Old 06-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #14

Alright, thanks for the info on the Airflow.

Anyone with a safari snorkel have input about dust collection on the filter while wheeling?
Old 06-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #15
n00b waffle
mutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mutilatedjak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogsauce View Post
Alright, thanks for the info on the Airflow.

Anyone with a safari snorkel have input about dust collection on the filter while wheeling?
So far it seems better than stock. I get a few more bugs and little leaves in there more than anything. Granted I'm not in the desert, though I have been on some real dry fire roads.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #16
la0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
la0d0g's Tacoma Gallery
Glad I searched before I created a thread. I was going to do a poll for Airflow v. Safari since I'm in the market for a snorkel. Anyways, I'm leaning towards the Airflow due to the installation compatibility but aesthetically I think the Safari looks better (I know, function over form). I guess I'll just grab some and see what others are running and what their experiences are.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #17
CASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
CASTRATE's Tacoma Gallery
I'm gonna have to keep a lookout on this thread since I plan on getting a snorkel one of these days
Old 06-21-2013, 11:05 PM   #18
-TACOMBO-
mh3kgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh3kgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh3kgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh3kgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh3kgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh3kgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh3kgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh3kgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh3kgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh3kgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh3kgt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mh3kgt's Tacoma Gallery
Contemplating getting a snorkel. Based on input here I'll go with airflow
Old 06-21-2013, 11:37 PM   #19
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Thats what I'm ordering.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #20
hcoulby is on a distinguished road
Name: Barry
hcoulby's Tacoma Gallery
So what happens in a heavy wet snow? Does it get clogged?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCO View Post
i'm a fan of the airflow