Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Borla muffler?

Old 07-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #1
Master Shredder
xtyfighterx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxtyfighterx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxtyfighterx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxtyfighterx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxtyfighterx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxtyfighterx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxtyfighterx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxtyfighterx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxtyfighterx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxtyfighterx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxtyfighterx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Juice
xtyfighterx's Tacoma Gallery
Borla muffler?

So there is a lot of info on the catbacks and videos but Iam just interested in the muffler I could only find one video on a 4.0 taco does anyone have experience with them or videos or sound clips they can post?
Iam looking at the pro xs if there is a better option iam all ears thanks.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
Scotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud of
Name: charley
Scotty3's Tacoma Gallery
the bolt in cat back made by borla is deeper toned and slightly louder than the stock muffler. definitely noticeable but not too much. I sold my cat back to another member so i cant get a clip for you. I changed to another borla muffler so that i could modify my Y-pipe to fit some new skid plates. I removed the rear cats and went to a dual 2.25 in muffler, single 2.5 out and it is much louder with similar tone to the bolt in cat back.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
Scotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud of
Name: charley
Scotty3's Tacoma Gallery
with the bolt in cat back( which should be similar to a Turbo XL welded in the place of the stock muffler) it was not raspy and not loud in the cab. with no rear cats and 2.25 pipe straight to 2.5 in at the muffler it is now much louder in the cab but still not raspy.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
Captain Taco
tacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Volunteer Firefighter
Name: Matt
tacofire38's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Borla Pro XS Muffler. When I had it put on I originally had the pipe run in the stock place behind the right rear and then decided to have it cut off at the axle. IMO it is not raspy at all. It has a nice low deep tone but not at all too loud. As for cabin noise, its not too bad. It is def louder if you have it dumped as opposed to running it out the back. I would recommend it to anyone and would not have any other exhaust on my taco. 4.0 2008 Prerunner btw. If I can figure out how to post a video I will for ya
Old 07-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
Master Shredder
xtyfighterx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxtyfighterx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxtyfighterx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxtyfighterx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxtyfighterx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxtyfighterx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxtyfighterx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxtyfighterx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxtyfighterx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxtyfighterx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxtyfighterx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Juice
xtyfighterx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofire38 View Post
I have the Borla Pro XS Muffler. When I had it put on I originally had the pipe run in the stock place behind the right rear and then decided to have it cut off at the axle. IMO it is not raspy at all. It has a nice low deep tone but not at all too loud. As for cabin noise, its not too bad. It is def louder if you have it dumped as opposed to running it out the back. I would recommend it to anyone and would not have any other exhaust on my taco. 4.0 2008 Prerunner btw. If I can figure out how to post a video I will for ya
Awesome I would appreciate that thank you
Old 07-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
climber25 is on a distinguished road

Army: Infantry
Name: Eric
climber25's Tacoma Gallery
I recently installed a Borla catback on my 13' taco. Definitely sounds better than stock and its a deeper sound. My main concern when looking for an exhaust was that it would sounds like the Megan Racing exhaust i had on my RSX but the Borla definitely makes it sound like a truck. You can hear it inside the cabin but its not loud, turn on some music and you can't hear it at all (unless you really open it up)
Old 07-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #10
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Borla muffler behind the stock cats:

http://s255.photobucket.com/user/mjp..._2657.mp4.html

It's definitely loud in my truck but I don't have a carpet or headliner.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Borla muffler behind the stock cats:

http://s255.photobucket.com/user/mjp..._2657.mp4.html

It's definitely loud in my truck but I don't have a carpet or headliner.
Are you going to rhino line it or anything? Do you have any pictures of how that looks right now?
Old 07-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #12
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a Borla Cat Back. Sounds great. As others have said, it's not raspy, and it's not obtrusive. Heard other mufflers and they're annoying.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #13
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber25 View Post
Are you going to rhino line it or anything? Do you have any pictures of how that looks right now?
I do have a bedliner on the floor and roof. It came out decent but doesn't do a whole lot to muffle the noise.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #14
ระดับอาวุโส สมาชิกอาวุโส
dYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dyl0n
dYL0n's Tacoma Gallery
I have the borla cat back as part of the TSS package. Really deep when I removed the pipe past the muffler and out the back. With the pipes installed, virtually silent at idle but loud and clean sounding when it needs to be. I recently cut off the chrome tips and dumped it right past the axle.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #15
DMBFan37 is on a distinguished road
DMBFan37's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU-IlLA5i_w I ordered this same setup. I am installing Thursday I can post a video is you want.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:23 AM   #17

I'm in the process of making a before and after video, I also installed a k&n intake which changes the sound as well. It's way louder when you step on it if you have an aftermarket intake.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #18
MEMO CAMPOS is on a distinguished road

MEMO CAMPOS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBFan37 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU-IlLA5i_w I ordered this same setup. I am installing Thursday I can post a video is you want.
Wish this video was a little better, cant hear much with it just idling. I'm sure the gentlemen above will provide a better video!
Old 07-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEMO CAMPOS View Post
Wish this video was a little better, cant hear much with it just idling. I'm sure the gentlemen above will provide a better video!
That's the plan, I couldn't really find a good Borla/taco video so I'm making one, it won't be for about another week though, sorry.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #20
Ttruck55 is on a distinguished road
Ttruck55's Tacoma Gallery
Borla Muffler Swap

Sorry guys i am new to the site and don,t mean to doubt what you have done just want to be sure what is being changed. Is it just the muffler that is swapped out? It does sound good on the video and would like to get the right part/s. Only interested in the muffler. Am putting it on a 08 Taco.

Thank