Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Questions about exhaust, headers, and sound

Old 07-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
dmanwags is on a distinguished road
dmanwags's Tacoma Gallery
Questions about exhaust, headers, and sound

hello tacomaworld, i have a 2010 4wd 4.0L v6 tacoma with a trd sport package on it (so its got the exhaust and 17" alloy wheels and stuff), I got it about 5 months ago. The only mod iv got on it now is a k&n cold air intake, which does sound pretty nice up in the high revs. Anyways, im looking to make it louder in regards to exhaust/headers. I dont know squat about car parts, but I know the headers run from the engine to the start of the exhaust system, and then the exhaust system out the end of the car, etc etc. Iv got a couple questions:

1) Should I replace the headers OR exhaust system for a louder sound? I only have enough $ to replace one of them right now.

2) Also, I heard from a friend of mine (a mechanic) that if i replaced the factory headers that I would need to replace the factory (in this case trd) exhaust (because aftermarket headers would allow alot more airflow and then it would not work with the stock exhaust, which cant handle that much air). And vice versa. Is this true? In other words, would i be able to install aftermarket headers onto my stock (trd) exhaust? and vice versa for aftermarket exhaust

3) Who in your opinion makes the best headers/exhaust systems? In regards to sound and quality (?). The only headers iv heard of are doug thorley, and some exhaust companies iv heard of are mbrp, magnaflow, flowmaster, urd, etc

4) ^Im asking these questions so that I can get a better understanding on how to make my truck sound loud. If I am not looking into the right mods for sound, what mods would you put on to make it sound louder?

Thanks a lot, I appreciate your answers
dmanwags
Old 07-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
Taco 12 is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
Taco 12's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW. I installed a magnaflow cat back system on my 2012 Tacoma and it is much louder. not sure what your mechanic buddy was talking about but i didn't have to change a thing with my headers to install the new set up and it works and sounds great.

My recommendation is to replace the exhaust system for now with the magnaflow system and if you want it louder down the road you can replace the headers.

If you YouTube "Tacoma exhaust" you can hear some of the different products and get a better idea of whats available and what will fit your needs.

Good luck!
Old 07-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
gotta grill so me steaks........... Ill be back later
Old 07-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
For a quick and easy change in sound and performance, go with a cat back exhaust system. It took me about 15 minutes to go from stock exhaust to performance exhaust. I have a Banks Monster , stainless exhaust, and everyone that heres it says it sounds great. The headers are a little more complicated. The exhaust manifolds on the 4.0L have the main Cats attached to them. There are two options there, either get long tube headers, which will delete those cats, but you will need o2 simulators to keep from having a constant check engine light, or get short tube headers, which you will need to have the manifolds cut from the cats and welded to the headers. I have the short tube JBA headers here

The shop I took them to did an amazing job. People drive over hundreds of miles to have the guy work on their rides. Look up DeCordre in Spring City,PA.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #5
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
quick info here..

deleting all cats and going with the long tubes plus URD's 3" catback gives insane rasp.

Its said that the APR and thorley y pipes reduce rasp tho.

depends on how u feel about emissions and if ur gunna stay n/a or go force fed eventually.

for now, try a simple muffler swap.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #6
Sleeper 4x4
Super Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Super Werty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post

The shop I took them to did an amazing job. People drive over hundreds of miles to have the guy work on their rides. Look up DeCordre in Spring City,PA.
No joke! Those look factory! Nice!