1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Questions about exhaust, headers, and sound

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by dmanwags, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Jul 4, 2013 at 12:43 PM
    dmanwags

dmanwags [OP] New Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd sr5 double cab trd sport
    TRD Sport Package (Exhaust etc) K&N Cold Air Intake (77-9025KP)
    hello tacomaworld, i have a 2010 4wd 4.0L v6 tacoma with a trd sport package on it (so its got the exhaust and 17" alloy wheels and stuff), I got it about 5 months ago. The only mod iv got on it now is a k&n cold air intake, which does sound pretty nice up in the high revs. Anyways, im looking to make it louder in regards to exhaust/headers. I dont know squat about car parts, but I know the headers run from the engine to the start of the exhaust system, and then the exhaust system out the end of the car, etc etc. Iv got a couple questions:

1) Should I replace the headers OR exhaust system for a louder sound? I only have enough $ to replace one of them right now.

2) Also, I heard from a friend of mine (a mechanic) that if i replaced the factory headers that I would need to replace the factory (in this case trd) exhaust (because aftermarket headers would allow alot more airflow and then it would not work with the stock exhaust, which cant handle that much air). And vice versa. Is this true? In other words, would i be able to install aftermarket headers onto my stock (trd) exhaust? and vice versa for aftermarket exhaust

3) Who in your opinion makes the best headers/exhaust systems? In regards to sound and quality (?). The only headers iv heard of are doug thorley, and some exhaust companies iv heard of are mbrp, magnaflow, flowmaster, urd, etc

4) ^Im asking these questions so that I can get a better understanding on how to make my truck sound loud. If I am not looking into the right mods for sound, what mods would you put on to make it sound louder?

Thanks a lot, I appreciate your answers
    dmanwags

2. Jul 4, 2013 at 1:21 PM
    Taco 12

Taco 12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 TRD-Off Road
    Welcome to TW. I installed a magnaflow cat back system on my 2012 Tacoma and it is much louder. not sure what your mechanic buddy was talking about but i didn't have to change a thing with my headers to install the new set up and it works and sounds great.

My recommendation is to replace the exhaust system for now with the magnaflow system and if you want it louder down the road you can replace the headers.

If you YouTube "Tacoma exhaust" you can hear some of the different products and get a better idea of whats available and what will fit your needs.

Good luck!

3. Jul 4, 2013 at 8:15 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    gotta grill so me steaks........... Ill be back later

motodude95 likes this.
  4. Jul 4, 2013 at 8:27 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    For a quick and easy change in sound and performance, go with a cat back exhaust system. It took me about 15 minutes to go from stock exhaust to performance exhaust. I have a Banks Monster , stainless exhaust, and everyone that heres it says it sounds great. The headers are a little more complicated. The exhaust manifolds on the 4.0L have the main Cats attached to them. There are two options there, either get long tube headers, which will delete those cats, but you will need o2 simulators to keep from having a constant check engine light, or get short tube headers, which you will need to have the manifolds cut from the cats and welded to the headers. I have the short tube JBA headers here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The shop I took them to did an amazing job. People drive over hundreds of miles to have the guy work on their rides. Look up DeCordre in Spring City,PA.

5. Jul 4, 2013 at 8:33 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    quick info here..

deleting all cats and going with the long tubes plus URD's 3" catback gives insane rasp.

Its said that the APR and thorley y pipes reduce rasp tho.

depends on how u feel about emissions and if ur gunna stay n/a or go force fed eventually.

for now, try a simple muffler swap.

6. Jul 4, 2013 at 8:37 PM
    Super Werty

Super Werty Sleeper 4x4

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Tacoma
    air and fuel
    No joke! Those look factory! Nice!

7. Feb 24, 2018 at 10:06 AM
    Country

Country Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Country
    East Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl.-Everyone says it looks like a tank
    Pro Comp 6in lift w/ Icon Coilovers,AllPro UCA's, AllPro Baja Leaf pack, Bilstein 5150's in the rear. Tires Mickey Thompson MTZ 275/70R18 w/ procomp 7089 wheels. ARB front bumper with mile marker winch, Custom made all quarter inch steel rear bumper. Demello rock crusher slider's. CoverKing neoprene seat cover's, AllPro trail armor All-pro U-bolt flip kit with Timbren bump stops and many many many other mods, way to many to list.
    So how difficult is it to install aftermarket headers on a 2nd Gen taco? is it an all day event, do I need an extra set of hands?

8. Feb 25, 2018 at 5:20 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    It depends on if you have 4wd, what style headers, and how mechanically inclined you are. Passenger side is easiest, so do it last. Driver side there is alot in the way, starter, steering shaft, catalytic converter, wires, ect. Don't get frustrated, if you find yourself in a situation where what you're doing isn't working, walk away for a few min, come back, and analyze. Let me know if you need any tips, tricks, or advice.

9. Feb 25, 2018 at 3:52 PM
    inwood customs

inwood customs Roaming potato

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2006 v6 potato bugTuRD
    K&n, flowmaster, plastidip, chipped, hids, daves

Yes, ive done this swap a few times and its good to walk away sometimes.... take 10min, then go back and sometimes the header pops right into place.

Texoma[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Feb 25, 2018 at 6:03 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    I made up some new curse words putting in the JBA long tube headers.

11. Feb 26, 2018 at 10:18 AM
    Country

Country Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Country
    East Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl.-Everyone says it looks like a tank
    Pro Comp 6in lift w/ Icon Coilovers,AllPro UCA's, AllPro Baja Leaf pack, Bilstein 5150's in the rear. Tires Mickey Thompson MTZ 275/70R18 w/ procomp 7089 wheels. ARB front bumper with mile marker winch, Custom made all quarter inch steel rear bumper. Demello rock crusher slider's. CoverKing neoprene seat cover's, AllPro trail armor All-pro U-bolt flip kit with Timbren bump stops and many many many other mods, way to many to list.
    Yes, i am 4WD, I'm pretty mechanically inclined. Father is 47 year automotive mechanic.

12. Aug 2, 2018 at 8:23 AM
    TPDTaco

TPDTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Huntington Beach,CA
    Vehicle:
    LT 2011 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB MGM
    Fog light mod, avs wind deflectors, 4x4 illuminated switch, 30" light bar, TRD CAI, 285/70R17 terra grappler g2, blacked out toyota logo, more to come
    Just got the jba shorties but didnt get the ceramic coating how have these been?

13. Aug 4, 2018 at 7:55 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    The headers developed a pin hole in the collector and killed my driver side cat, so I switched to JBA long tubes. I need to get those headers to someone that can tig then soak the cat in laquer thinner to see if I can revive it.

14. Aug 10, 2018 at 5:06 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []

Products Discussed in

To Top