Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Oil in intake manifold...?

Old 07-15-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
Oil in intake manifold...?

I cleaned my throttle body and intake manifold today and I noticed a good amount of oil in the manifold and near the intake valves. Im pretty sure this isn't a normal thing. Can anyone tell me whats going on or what I need to do? Any input is helpful

Old 07-15-2013, 11:50 PM   #2
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMABOSS View Post
I cleaned my throttle body and intake manifold today and I noticed a good amount of oil in the manifold and near the intake valves. Im pretty sure this isn't a normal thing. Can anyone tell me whats going on or what I need to do? Any input is helpful

Probably just lots of miles sucking down the blow-by gases and vaporized oil coming from the PCV valve. Look upstream in the induction system in your plenum and all the way to the throttle body, and also on the front side of the throttle body. I bet they are pretty dirty too.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:53 PM   #3
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Probably just lots of miles sucking down the blow-by gases and vaporized oil coming from the PCV valve. Look upstream in the unduction system in your plenum and all the way to the throttle body, and also on the front side of the throttle body. I bet they are pretty dirty too.
I cleaned all that up today. There wasn't a whole lot but there was some. Seems the further I got into the engine, the more oil I was seeing
Old 07-16-2013, 12:02 AM   #4
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I cleaned all that up today. There wasn't a whole lot but there was some. Seems the further I got into the engine, the more oil I was seeing
Oh duh, you already said that.
Are you consuming oil?
Old 07-16-2013, 12:04 AM   #5
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Why are you tearing it apart? Because my next question is have you done a compression test on it? Could be worn valve guides, or maybe even rings.

Are you consuming oil?
My original intention was to clean up the throttle body. No I haven't done a compression test and no I don't use any oil
Old 07-16-2013, 04:46 AM   #6
kigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to behold

Name: James
kigmob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This cant be too bad of a thing right??
Old 07-16-2013, 08:38 AM   #7
Firefighter:
I dont use any oil. Could this be a pcv valve issue? Or is this this a normal thing?
Old 07-16-2013, 08:44 AM   #8
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
This is a normal condition. PCV stands for Positive Crankcase Ventilation. The system is DESIGNED to take unburned gasses that normally get into the oil crankcase and draw them into the intake system, to be burned. This in turn does draw some oil vapor, which will deposit trace amounts on the cooler intake runners. Normal condition completely.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #9
PutterClutch
SconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
SconnieHailer's Tacoma Gallery
pretty normal. I had my intake off to put the spacer in and my '12 had oil in the intake... I have a air/oil separator that I put on in the summer and take off in the winter but it hasnt gone back on yet this summer which is why I had oil in the intake when i looked recently. Look into an oil catch can or air/oil separator if you want to stop the oil from getting into your intake...

Edit: beat me to it bill
Old 07-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #11
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

No problem. That is what we are all here for!
Old 07-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #13
BlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud of
Navy: EM1 Coastal Warfare
BlackSportD's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BlackSportD
I run a catch can to prevent that 'ish. MPGs went up- figured that is because it was catching water vapor (evaps from oil from water condensation in case) that otherwise was sucking up some BTUs here and there. Anyhow nice to know those vapors are not depositing in the intake track causing a rough surface, more air friction and such. On direct injected cars the catch cans are crucial, they do not have port injectors to clean that crud off of the intake valves, causing big issues as time goes by.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #14
ASE Master Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by SconnieHailer View Post
Bill, how much do you stand to gain realistically by running a catch can and stopping most of that from getting down the runners?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSportD View Post
I run a catch can to prevent that 'ish. MPGs went up- figured that is because it was catching water vapor (evaps from oil from water condensation in case) that otherwise was sucking up some BTUs here and there. Anyhow nice to know those vapors are not depositing in the intake track causing a rough surface, more air friction and such. On direct injected cars the catch cans are crucial, they do not have port injectors to clean that crud off of the intake valves, causing big issues as time goes by.

Not trying to sound anti-anything here, but there is no evidence to prove that any kind of "catch can" system will improve MPG. There is no basis in how the PCV system operated to support this. MPG will change based on driving conditions, weather, fuel quality, etc. Even a small amount of water vapor will not affect fuel economy enough to notice a difference. Trust me, if a catch can system WAS something that improved MPG, the factory would install it! Anything that can help sales numbers they would use.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #16
Firefighter:
Quote:
Yea I could care less about MPG via a air/oil separator. I was more getting at how good of an idea is it to run a catch can?
Im curious about this as well
Old 07-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #17
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yea I could care less about MPG via a air/oil separator. I was more getting at how good of an idea is it to run a catch can?
Pretty sure it is a really good idea. Helps keep your engine cleaner by removing the oil rather than trying to burn it off. The consensus seems to be that the average person already sucks at doing basic vehicle maintenance so no point in adding even more maintenance to a vehicle... which is why companies don't install them from the factory.

Group buy going on right now for some good ones. We have basically met the max discount already too!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gro...group-buy.html
Old 07-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #18
PutterClutch
SconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
SconnieHailer's Tacoma Gallery
I actually already have one installed but curious if leaving it on will really make my motor that much better after 200k miles and thought bill might have some great insight
Old 07-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #20
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I also ran into a problem with it freezing in the winter... so i took it off for the winter months
Interesting.