LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

TRD Cat Back - have you installed a resonator?

Old 07-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
idioteque is on a distinguished road
Navy: Firecontrolman
Name: James
idioteque's Tacoma Gallery
TRD Cat Back - have you installed a resonator?

I have a 2012 Baja (doublecab) which came with the TRD Cat-back exhaust. I knew it was going to be loud so I had them apply the sound-proofing. It is still too loud and drones.

What I am hoping to find out is whether anyone has added a resonator to the TRD exhaust and what was the results. If you were like me and did not like the drone and a resonator resolved the issue - I would appreciate knowing which resonator you used. I have searched and found good info, but I am looking to you folks for specifically an update to the TRD exhaust and how it went.

The reason I am not simply running out to put a stock exhaust back on is fairly silly: I happen to like the chrome tip. I am hoping that I can simply throw a 12" resonator in the section past the flange, which would allow someone to remove it again (if/when I sell my rig).

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
Toyota Tech..when im not Fishing
blakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
blakes09's Tacoma Gallery
mine sounded loud when i first put it on...after about a month it sounded alot quieter..
Old 07-25-2013, 06:39 AM   #3
Instagram: stormtrooptaco
HighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud of

Name: Hank
HighTQCummins's Tacoma Gallery
agreed with above, give it a few miles to get carbon'd up and break in, it will settle down some, then re-evaluate before spending money on a res
Old 07-25-2013, 07:06 AM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakes09 View Post
mine sounded loud when i first put it on...after about a month it sounded alot quieter..
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTQCummins View Post
agreed with above, give it a few miles to get carbon'd up and break in, it will settle down some, then re-evaluate before spending money on a res
These ^^^
Old 07-25-2013, 07:12 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
If your only reason for keeping it is the chrome tip, cut it off, get a stock exhaust and weld the tip onto it. You could then sell off the TRD exhaust and still come out ahead.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:38 PM   #6
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Give it time..... I rode in a double cab with the TRD exhaust and i would have never known it wasn't stock.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:46 AM   #7
idioteque is on a distinguished road
Navy: Firecontrolman
Name: James
idioteque's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies

I should have mentioned that I have about 7000 miles on the rig now.

Sadly the Baja package is everything I would have done to a Tacoma when I was in my 20's and now I guess I'm getting to be an old man as all the "upgrades" bug the hell out of me ;-)

You guys are probably right though - I should just replace that cat-back with stock and put another tip on that (I don't really care that much about the tip). If I do go the route of the resonator I'll be sure to update this thread.

Thanks again for the replies/
Old 07-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #8
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
No no no don't replace the entire catback that's way too much work. There is a smarter way and that is just replace the dang muffler. Buy a used OEM muffler here which you can get for $25-$50 bucks, cut out the TRD muffler and put the used one in place. Then keep your TRD muffler in your garage and if you ever decided to go back it will be easy to change out.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:14 PM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
No no no don't replace the entire catback that's way too much work. There is a smarter way and that is just replace the dang muffler. Buy a used OEM muffler here which you can get for $25-$50 bucks, cut out the TRD muffler and put the used one in place. Then keep your TRD muffler in your garage and if you ever decided to go back it will be easy to change out.
Yeah, you're right, cutting and welding a muffler in place is a lot easier than unbolting 2 bolts and re-hanging the pipe
Old 07-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #10
Shooter808 is on a distinguished road

Name: Mel
Shooter808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
x2!
Old 07-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #11
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
Wildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Edward
Wildlandtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Yeah, you're right, cutting and welding a muffler in place is a lot easier than unbolting 2 bolts and re-hanging the pipe
Lol
Old 07-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #12
2011 TX TRD Offroad
Cmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: B.C.
Cmurder's Tacoma Gallery
if ya come to KS i'll trade ya for my stock exhaust with chrome tip :-) got 14K on it. you know you want to
Old 07-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #13
mpfjax is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
mpfjax's Tacoma Gallery
loud exhaust

Had the same issue with my previous vehicle (2003 4runner) with Gibson cat-back. Took it to a muffler shop and the guy said he sees this all the time. He said a resonator or a glass pack wont work. He said that you need to put a smaller muffler in front of the existing muffler. He put something on that looked similar to this. It worked great. still loud enough, but much less drone.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-14416/overview/

Products Discussed in this Thread