Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

DT Long Tube Headers Questions....yes I searched.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:02 AM   #1
Are you Recreationally Insane?
mr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brant Luckow
mr.trd's Tacoma Gallery
DT Long Tube Headers Questions....yes I searched.

Has or is anyone running the DT Long Tube Headers with only a cat back exhaust and a factory y-pipe. No URD MAF calibrator. What would this do to performance and gas mileage. I want to get the DT pipe bomb to get the crossover pipe above the bottom of the frame and keep some sort of resinator and then do the MAF calibrator. But for now, how would it be. Or should I just let the headers sit in the garage until I supercharge some day....

Oh the truck is a '06 with the 4.0L V6 and 285's with stock gears right now.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:49 AM   #2
eztrucken has a brilliant futureeztrucken has a brilliant futureeztrucken has a brilliant futureeztrucken has a brilliant futureeztrucken has a brilliant futureeztrucken has a brilliant futureeztrucken has a brilliant futureeztrucken has a brilliant futureeztrucken has a brilliant futureeztrucken has a brilliant futureeztrucken has a brilliant future

eztrucken's Tacoma Gallery
I was running DT Long Tube Headers for about a month. But it was two much flow for the other 2 cats. They we braking up. You could here them ratting apart. So I got the pipe bomb. My truck runs and sound better after the pipe bomb.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:07 PM   #3
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
I am currently running the DT long tubes, stock y-pipe, and URD 3" catback.

The long tubes will definitely help your performance, especially when mated with a quality CAI.

Gas mileage is more determined by your driving habits rather then your mods.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David Tarantino's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XrunnIT View Post

The long tubes will definitely help your performance, especially when mated with a quality CAI.

but what about the 02s
Old 03-02-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tarantino View Post
but what about the 02s
Nothing an o2 sim, or other calibration unit can't fix.

The o2 sensors that would be effected by the long tubes, are for monitoring the cat's health. Their reading is needed by the ECU, but not needed for tuning purposes.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:04 PM   #6
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David Tarantino's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nothing an o2 sim, or other calibration unit can't fix.

The o2 sensors that would be effected by the long tubes, are for monitoring the cat's health. Their reading is needed by the ECU, but not needed for tuning purposes.
ok so i now have the trd cia and was thinking about
exhaust i had the trd exhaust but removed it for a flowmaster 50
more for looks then anything but not happy with it thinking
of puting the trd exhaust back on so do i go with the long tubes?
for a littel more hp and put the trd exhaust back on? thanks
Old 03-02-2009, 01:13 PM   #7
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tarantino View Post
ok so i now have the trd cia and was thinking about
exhaust i had the trd exhaust but removed it for a flowmaster 50
more for looks then anything but not happy with it thinking
of puting the trd exhaust back on so do i go with the long tubes?
for a littel more hp and put the trd exhaust back on? thanks
That would be my personal choice. You'll get a great sounding exhaust with the DTLT and the TRD catback.

Being N/A, you will lose some of that low-end pickup. What will happen is your low-end torque will be changed into mid/high range HP.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
mr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mr.trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Well I'm screwed then....

Ok, So are you running a MAF calibrator too then?
Old 03-02-2009, 01:48 PM   #9
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.trd View Post
Well I'm screwed then....

Ok, So are you running a MAF calibrator too then?
I am not running the MAF cal. It cannot tune my truck anywhere close to what it needs to be tuned at.

I'm tuning with the APR X-1 controller.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:59 PM   #10

mr.trd's Tacoma Gallery
Damn, now that is some tuning adjustabilty. Skip the baby steps. But I think you have a different agenda for your x-runner than I do for my 4x4. But the info helped. I am going to just get the gaskets and the o2 sim and call it good for now. Then get the pipe bomb when my factory cats come apart. Then get the AFR calibrator and MAF calibrator with MAP/boost option and snorkel and supercharger down the road someday...Then Then Then Then.........
Old 03-02-2009, 08:14 PM   #11
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Quote:
Damn, now that is some tuning adjustabilty. Skip the baby steps. But I think you have a different agenda for your x-runner than I do for my 4x4. But the info helped. I am going to just get the gaskets and the o2 sim and call it good for now. Then get the pipe bomb when my factory cats come apart. Then get the AFR calibrator and MAF calibrator with MAP/boost option and snorkel and supercharger down the road someday...Then Then Then Then.........

Just a heads up... I got the DTLT's and ran them with URD Y-pipe... It was way to loud and a bit raspy for me. Ordered the Pipe bomb and now Im totally happy. Dont seem like you are in a rush, but I should have a good clip by this friday/saturday... 3 resonators replacing 4 Cats = nice low rumble.

check the last post on this thread.. Its DTLT's with URD Y, 1 resonator right before the Borla muffler:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...-thread-2.html

Same set up w/Pipe bomb coming soon
Old 03-03-2009, 06:30 AM   #12

mr.trd's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet thanks man. Yeah I will for sure be going with the pipe bomb. It is a family truck so it can't be too loud. But you added another resinator right infront of the muffler too. Thanks man...I look forward to the clip.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:24 AM   #13
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Then get the AFR calibrator and MAF calibrator with MAP/boost option and snorkel and supercharger down the road someday...Then Then Then Then.........
If you plan on going boosted, don't waste your time with all the other calibration tools. They won't be able to tune the truck as well as the X-1. Not to mention X-1 comes with Engine Guardian to help protect the motor in the case something goes wrong with the motor.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #14
TRON is on a distinguished road

TRON's Tacoma Gallery
It seems that the longtube thorley headers are hard to find... I can only find them on urdusa.com... any other websites that would be helpful...

thanks...
Old 03-04-2009, 03:37 PM   #15
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRON View Post
It seems that the longtube thorley headers are hard to find... I can only find them on urdusa.com... any other websites that would be helpful...

thanks...
URD is the best price you will get. They have great customer service, and are all about providing only the best for our trucks.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:47 PM   #16

mr.trd's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, URD is a great business... I however did not get my headers from them. Don't be pissed guys, but I got them at a Toyota dealership auction. They must have pulled them off of someone elses truck and not known what they were and just wanted to get rid of them, cause got them for the bid of $25, but I did have to pay a $15 registration fee. So $40 for a set of Doug Thorley Long Tube headers... yeah I had to order new gaskets and a o2 sim from URD though... Oh well still under $160 for headers, can't beat it!!!!!
Old 03-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #17
Enjoying my addiction

Awesome

you lucky bastard...
Old 03-05-2009, 08:57 AM   #18

mr.trd's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I know I am...this type of thing usually never happens to me.... I feel like I won th lotto, except that I do have to buy parts to make them work and if you were to win the lotto you wouldn't have to buy anything....
Old 03-05-2009, 06:23 PM   #19
Enjoying my addiction

Quote:
Yeah I know I am...this type of thing usually never happens to me.... I feel like I won th lotto, except that I do have to buy parts to make them work and if you were to win the lotto you wouldn't have to buy anything....
If I one the Lotto, Id have one of the baddest Tacos ever, and a second one just for back up
Old 03-05-2009, 07:08 PM   #20
tacomakid is an unknown quantity at this point
tacomakid's Tacoma Gallery
the long tube headers seem like a lot of work. do you still have the same problems with the cat if you just got the short headers?