Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Limited slip for front end ??

Old 07-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
Andys Toy is on a distinguished road

Name: Andy
Andys Toy's Tacoma Gallery
Limited slip for front end ??

Been a while since I've had a 4 x4 . I'm looking to get more traction. The truck is an 02 . Stock drivetrain with 6". Lift and 35's . It's got the stock rear locker for now and want to get both wheels turning up front. What products are out there that are good.
Also any suggestions on who to do the installation in SoCal and a price range I can expect to pay. Thanks for any input.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andys Toy View Post
Been a while since I've had a 4 x4 . I'm looking to get more traction. The truck is an 02 . Stock drivetrain with 6". Lift and 35's . It's got the stock rear locker for now and want to get both wheels turning up front. What products are out there that are good.
Also any suggestions on who to do the installation in SoCal and a price range I can expect to pay. Thanks for any input.
You're trying to convert your part-time 4WD system to a full time AWD? I'm pretty sure it's more complicated than simply adding an LSD (if one even exists for the front). You'll need a center differential as well.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #3

I want to keep it part time four wheel drive but have posi up front when in four wheel drive. I just don't know what brand of posi to go with. Who makes one for this truck that is good.
Back when I had my 83 Toyota I had a Detroit locker rear and limited slip front but can't remember what brand. It's been 30years so I'm sure things have come a long way.
I run Detroit lockers in the rear of my drag cars because clutch type posis don't hold up but I wouldn't want one in the front. Don't think the stealing would be fun!
Old 07-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #4

I just did a little searching and came across ARB lockers. Like I said its been a while since I've had a 4x . Are these the hot ticket for our trucks now ? Is there cheaper options or are they a waste of money?
Old 07-30-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andys Toy View Post
I just did a little searching and came across ARB lockers. Like I said its been a while since I've had a 4x . Are these the hot ticket for our trucks now ? Is there cheaper options or are they a waste of money?
ARB is a very trusted, very reliable brand that make air lockers for the front and back of our pickups. They're unbeatable but you'll need to get an onboard air compressor and run air lines to the front and back.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
I think if you are going to spend the bucks to control the spin on the front, go with ARB lockers over just a limited slip. 99% of your severe off road hill climbing will be served by the factory rear locker and your open front diff... but for the 1% of extreme climbing, go all the way and locker-up the front.