1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

best exhaust for supercharger

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by tfeltz73, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Aug 14, 2013 at 7:57 AM
    tfeltz73

tfeltz73 [OP] That's greasy Ricky

Member:
    central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2013 supercharged long travel thing
    I want to get a cat back exhaust and just wanted to know what exhaust company is best for the supercharger and can make the most power, thanks.

2. Aug 14, 2013 at 8:19 PM
    TRON

TRON Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    All Wheel Drive X-runner
    TRD Blower, 2.3 Pulley, NST OverDrive Pulley Kit, B&M Shifter, TR Lowering Kit, Spec Clutch, Xrunner Body Kit
    One would get more hp gains from headers than a new catback exhaust. Headers are the most restrictive, next is the ypipe, the muffler is the least of the three.

3. Aug 15, 2013 at 4:48 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Long tube headers to get rid of the front cats, a URD Y-Pipe to get rid of the back cats and then add a cat back or performance muffler built into a custom piping.
    All about opening restriction and clearing more exhaust out of the system.

4. Aug 15, 2013 at 5:15 AM
    tfeltz73

Member:
    central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Do the Tacomas have 02 sensors on the cats because my old truck had them and the check engine light came on when they got old, so if the Tacoma had it wouldn't the check engine light be on all the time if you got rid if the cats

5. Aug 15, 2013 at 6:31 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    ...O2 Sims...

6. Aug 15, 2013 at 6:32 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    There are devices out there to take car of that. All 4 O2 sensors and two wide band sensors are going into my set up...

7. Aug 15, 2013 at 8:40 AM
    tfeltz73

Member:
    central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Would the dealer be able to tell if I did it because if I had to go in for any work I would swap the old exhaust back in so I wouldn't void the warranty

8. Aug 15, 2013 at 8:46 AM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb trd offroad 4wd
    Urd 3" cat back...yes the dealer could tell.

9. Aug 15, 2013 at 10:18 AM
    tfeltz73

Member:
    central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    How can they tell?

10. Aug 15, 2013 at 10:37 AM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    Magic.

Do you honestly think they're stupid enough to not know the difference between stock exhaust w/ cats & aftermarket exhaust w/o?

11. Aug 15, 2013 at 10:49 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Should not be necessary unless you think the problem is somehow related to a catback. Warranty cannot be denied unless they can prove it has to do with an aftermarket part. A catback is just not something that can cause much....

12. Aug 15, 2013 at 11:03 AM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb trd offroad 4wd
    100% gurantee if you have issues with the supercharger they will blame the modified exhaust.

13. Aug 15, 2013 at 11:16 AM
    tfeltz73

Member:
    central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    No I just didn't know if it would say something in the computer because I heard if you have a chip in your truck , the dealer can look it up. I didn't know if it would do the same with the 02 sensor

14. Aug 15, 2013 at 11:37 AM
    Amo-cat3

Amo-cat3 Wizard Sleeve Master

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Blown dubcab
    TRD Supercharged 4.0 w/ 2.5" Quick change Pulley, UCON EMS, URD 7th injector, AFE Stage II intake, DT Longtubes, MBRP 2.5" dual exhaust w/ Vibrant Ultra resonator, URD Y-pipe w/ vibrant v-bands (Cat free), Walboro 255 fuel pump, SS Oil catch can, Aeroforce gauges, Icon CDC 2.5 coilover set at 3", 1.5" Wleelers Progressive aal, Light racing uca, 17x8.5 Fuel Anza 4.5" backspace/-6 mm offset, Kelly Safari a/t 265/70/17, scanguage 2, AMP electric steps, bed extender, Low-pro tonneau cover, 20% tinted windows/headlights/taillights, tacoma seat covers, Image dynamic sound system w/ Pinoneer avh3200 head, assrtd stickers................
    The computer or "OBDII" read out won't indicate if your'e running a chip/o2 sim/etc... However, if they do inspect underneath they will most difinitely know you have an aftermarket exhaust. Especially if you remove your cats then any warranty coverage is automatically forfeited.

For now you can safely go with a cat back exhaust - 3" is optimal with a supercharger setup. Once you get the exhaust in you will be introduced to the lovely "RASP" that is associated with a supercharger setup. You'll want to remove cats to quiet this down which means longtube headers and Y-pipe. There are numerous combinations of exhausts tried on our tacomas and Xrunners including dual muffler setups and adding resonators. I don't think anyone has gotten rid of the rasp 100% but there are some impressive sounding setup for our trucks.

15. Aug 15, 2013 at 12:01 PM
    tfeltz73

Member:
    central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    I know they will notice them if I leave them on but I was talking about putting the old exhaust with cats back on only if there is something wrong with my truck (which I hope never happens) so they wouldn't see the headers and y pipe but I didn't know if there was some way of them knowing which it sounds like they can't so I'm going to look into buying some

16. Aug 15, 2013 at 1:01 PM
    tfeltz73

Member:
    central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    And does anyone have a rough estimate for hour much more power a full exhaust will give me, and sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure of things before I spend a bunch of money

17. Aug 15, 2013 at 9:10 PM
    Amo-cat3

Amo-cat3 Wizard Sleeve Master

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Blown dubcab
    TRD Supercharged 4.0 w/ 2.5" Quick change Pulley, UCON EMS, URD 7th injector, AFE Stage II intake, DT Longtubes, MBRP 2.5" dual exhaust w/ Vibrant Ultra resonator, URD Y-pipe w/ vibrant v-bands (Cat free), Walboro 255 fuel pump, SS Oil catch can, Aeroforce gauges, Icon CDC 2.5 coilover set at 3", 1.5" Wleelers Progressive aal, Light racing uca, 17x8.5 Fuel Anza 4.5" backspace/-6 mm offset, Kelly Safari a/t 265/70/17, scanguage 2, AMP electric steps, bed extender, Low-pro tonneau cover, 20% tinted windows/headlights/taillights, tacoma seat covers, Image dynamic sound system w/ Pinoneer avh3200 head, assrtd stickers................
    I'm sure if they have to pull the exhaust to inspect they would notice it had been previously removed and replaced. When putting back your stock exhaust you might need all new gaskets, etc..., fresh threads from bolts being re-tourqed, etc...Then they might ask "has your exhaust been worked on recently?". Your call from there.:D

Side note: After I put my K/n intake and MBRP cat back exhaust (still had stock headers and y-pipe) I threw a O2 sensor code for one of my cats. I took my truck to dealership cuz i was still under warranty and they still replaced O2 sensor for free. Never said a thing about aftermarket stuff. Luckily I never needed any warranty work after that.

18. Aug 16, 2013 at 6:04 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Check out the N/A Mods link, in my sig. :thumbsup:

19. Aug 16, 2013 at 8:30 AM
    STiLL WILL

STiLL WILL MY NAME ISN'T WILL

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt [again, not WILL]
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra TRD Sport 4wd
    Yes, I sold my '13 Taco. :'(
    So I'm confused. You asked in your original post the stuff I put in bold....but now you're concerned about having it 'noticed' at the dealer?

Which is it?

Your answer has been posted already....3" exhaust, y-pipe, and long tube headers.

You can't have both the 'best' aftermarket performing exhaust and not expect to affect warranty.

If warranty is that big of a concern, the best performing exhaust would be to leave it alone.

20. Aug 16, 2013 at 2:20 PM
    tfeltz73

Member:
    central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    At first I wanted a cat back, and it was answered with a 3" exhaust, then people said I should do a full exhaust to get the best power, and I know that will void the warranty, but if I put one on and had to go in for warranty work and put the old exhaust on just to go there, would there be a way for them to tell I had a aftermarket exhaust on before.

Products Discussed in

To Top