1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Volant Problems?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by DMBFan37, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Aug 16, 2013 at 6:22 AM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    gotcha. is there a target range i should be shooting for? gadget was talking about severe negatives, but didn't state any numbers, so is 3 severe, or is 15 severe? i'm just not sure what kind of min/max scale i/we should be thinking about.

2. Aug 16, 2013 at 6:23 AM
    Vassily28

Vassily28 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Quebec, Quebec, Canada
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD SPORT 4x4 Quadcab LB
    TRD supercharger with 2.85" URD stealth pulley and OEM FPR mod. URD fuel pump upgrade, URD TB plate adapter 70mm, FJ/4 runner 70 mm Throttle body, URD exhaust cam gears URD performance thermostat TRD CAI 1st gen. with custom cover (coupe), ProDry S + Filter skin, Doug thorley long tube headers, URD spec U exhaust Icon LT 2.5 front coilover, Timbren front bumpstops, Total Choas UCA, Deaver custom leafpack 3 inch. lift, Icon 2.5 VS series rear resishocks, Timbren rear bumpstops, ARB front bumper with WARN 8500 lbs winch,Hella 500 blackmagic, AVID rear bumper, Allpro front IFS skid + Trans. skid + Transfercase skid. Total chaos LCA skid, SS braided brake line, URD O2 sims, URD MAF controller, Wetokole front seatcovers, Innovate MTX-L, MTX-D AFR and boost gage.
    After installation, have you disconnect the battery to erase old fuel trim and let the ECU learn the new Cold air inbox?

There is no trim at WOT cause you are in open loop and the ECU doesn't use the sensor to correct the amount of fuel. For this section you need a scangage and it's the most important important condition to verify and be sure you are not too lean at this condition.

For the closed loop section, yep the LTFT are the important one to check but after the reset of the ECU you should let some times to the ECU to build his new trims. Let it run at iddle few minutes and the wait after 60 miles on the road.

;)

3. Aug 16, 2013 at 6:27 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Start on post #125

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53217&page=7

4. Aug 16, 2013 at 6:29 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    yeah, i saw short term drop to zero, and the monitor switch to open loop when i merge onto the highway.

i actually had the battery disconnected a couple of days ago. not for the perpose of resetting the computer, but i gues i killed two birds with one stone :)

haven't put 60 miles on since then though.

what's the best way to monitor during wot? AFR?

5. Aug 16, 2013 at 6:37 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Monitor what at WOT? AFR?

6. Aug 16, 2013 at 6:41 AM
    Two Tall

Two Tall Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road DCSB 4x4
    Retrax MXPro bed cover, Gentex Homelink mirror, TRD exhaust
    No issues with mine...(TRD cover on Volant intake):
    [​IMG]

7. Aug 16, 2013 at 6:44 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    that threw me off being so close to what i just posted, i thought TW messed up for a second and posted under your name lol.

so based on that thread (being an off road guy, most of xru goes right over my head the first couple times i read it), i want a short term closer to zero, and long term in the higher positives, somewhere around 10???

8. Aug 16, 2013 at 6:48 AM
    SABAJA

SABAJA Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    13 Baja TX edition
    Depending on the system used and the vehicle model, putting on a cold air intake often times does require a re-tune to assure you're not running leaner than you want. For example, in Subaru STI's you should not use a cold air system unless you plan on doing a pro-tune. I've also seen the opposite with Ford's that you can install a SRAI or CAI (using the fenderwell) and the ECU can adapt pretty well in closed loop, with open loop being acceptable.

So that you understand what some people are talking about:

The closed loop system is when the ECU is in control of adjusting AFR, fuel, and ignition. It will increase or decrease these parameters according to readings it gets from sensors. The open loop system used pre-set configurations for the higher RPM/load ranges. This is what is getting adjusted when you get a custom or professional tune.

You want to make sure that at higher rpm/loads that you're running richer for the sake of engine's longevity. Most of the time the target ratio's for FI vehicles at this range will be in the 11's. Running too close to stoich (14.7) or even higher AFR's at high rpm/loads will typically end with a blown engine for most vehicles (the higher the number the leaner you are).

Hope that helps.

OH...one more thing...this is something that you may want to try yourself...another vendor in another CAI intake thread stated specifically what you should be looking for:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  9. Aug 16, 2013 at 6:48 AM
    tacomonazul

tacomonazul Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    SOCAL
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB LT/4LINK
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/227832-my-never-end-build.html
    Nice cover, where did you get it?

10. Aug 16, 2013 at 6:59 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    the edit and quote from gadget was very helpful. i have the MAF calibrator arriving on monday, and the lean correcting map from Gadget sitting in my inbox, so i should be good to go.

i will still monitor the short term and long term trims. and get some wot AFR numbers when i merge onto the highway today.

11. Aug 16, 2013 at 7:20 PM
    JWP6114

JWP6114 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Newnan, GA
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner SR5 supercharged
    TRD supercharger
    +1 on where did I get the see through TRD cover?

12. Aug 17, 2013 at 1:56 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Nit sure where he got his for the Volant, but i do know that you should contact Coupe. He is on here, but primarily on www.xr-underground.com

He makes those, and a list of other parts. Including billet oil pans and oil pan spacers. To add to the capacity of the shallow oil pans.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  13. Aug 17, 2013 at 4:56 PM
    Two Tall

Two Tall Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road DCSB 4x4
    Retrax MXPro bed cover, Gentex Homelink mirror, TRD exhaust
    Yes, it was made by TW member Coupe. Very pleased with his work. He also made my TRD battery bracket.

14. Aug 19, 2013 at 6:40 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    with long term added, it would seem that i have some more severe negative values than desirable (correct me if i'm wrong).

the below screenshot is a a steady 60 mph, on flat ground. At idle, all values were closer to zero, with a fluctuation of +/- 3%

[​IMG]

So by the looks of it, the map for the MAF calibrator, that Gadget sent me should be correct? he said this particular one is to correct the "highly negative" values from the volant.

15. Aug 19, 2013 at 6:57 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Have you uploaded the map in reference yet, or no?

16. Aug 19, 2013 at 7:00 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...

uploaded it to the MAF calibrator?

17. Aug 19, 2013 at 7:15 AM
    TonkaToyTaco

TonkaToyTaco Hope you can run faster than 965 FPS

Member:
    First Name:
    Louie
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD DCLB 4X4
    Fox 2.0 Coilovers cranked up with JBA UCA, Rear OME 2" leaf pack with Ride Rite air bags, SCS Steath 6 matte black rims wrapped in 285/75/17 Cooper ST MAXX, Blacked out emblems, Debaged tailgate, Tinted windows (5% in rear, 5% up front and 40% on windsheild), Retro color matched HID headlights with Amber Halo, Projector LED Foglight, Custom LED Taillight and 3rd brake light, T-Rex 2 eyelids color matched, Fog light anytime MOD, All LED interior and exterior ligths, Volant CAI With forced Ram, JET throttle body spacer, Aero Turbine SS Muffler, Aero Turbine SS 4inch tip dumped after axel, URD MAF Calibrator, LED bed lights, 4X4 light mod, Satoshi Grill with matching scoop and lower Valance, 20" LED bar and 2 LED Pods behind Satoshi, Diff breather mod, Sea Blu secondary fuse box with 100A breaker, Outlaw Train Horns with dual Air Compressors and 5 Gal tank, Ultraguage, Andre Devil Horns, Pedal Commander
    I have had a volant installed for over a year now with no problems and I have an ultraguage. Im going to load the STFT and see what it says. Does anyone know if thats what its called on the UG?

18. Aug 19, 2013 at 7:25 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    I was told to monitor STFT and LTFT.

I don't have an ultragauge though, so can't help you there.

19. Aug 19, 2013 at 7:32 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Correct.

20. Aug 19, 2013 at 7:43 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    Not yet, MAF calibrator arrives in the mail today, so i'll try to upload the map and install it in the truck, this evening, after work.

Products Discussed in

To Top