LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

4.0 throttle body specs?...

Old 08-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
4.0 throttle body specs?...

Could any of you 4.0 guys tell me what the bore diameter is on your 4.0 throttle body? And also do you know the distance between the studs? I'm exploring the possibility of adapting a 4.0 throttle body to fit onto a 2.7 engine.

Thanks,

Greg
Old 08-16-2013, 11:23 PM   #3
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
For comparison, the 2.7 throttle body bore is 61mm and the bolt pattern is 65mm square.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:38 AM   #5
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
4.0 ID bore is 65mm
Thanks, man.

It's good that the difference in only 4mm which raises the chance that the bolt pattern might be the same.

Does anyone know the distance in millimeters between their throttle body bolts?

That measurement could be also obtained from any 4.0 manifold, flat gasket, or throttle body spacer.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Bump. Is there anyone here who can measure the distance between the mounting bolts on their 4.0 throttle body? It would be a great help.

(looks like I'm going to have to buy one just to find out... )
Old 08-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
Yes, I got boost
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
I'd just call Gadget and ask him what the bolt pattern looks like on the 70mm one that they sell. I don't feel like I have the measuring tools available to me here to give you an accurate answer
Old 08-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #9
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Roughly 6.9 cm top - top, and ~6.7cm top - bottom.
Ok. Thanks for your help, Tor.

So the bolt pattern isn't 65mm square. That rules it out.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
Tacorriendo has a spectacular aura aboutTacorriendo has a spectacular aura about

Name: Fred
Tacorriendo's Tacoma Gallery
Take a prescision ruler with you and head on th autozone, ask for a trottle body gasket, and ask to see it. Then when they bring it, measure it then give it back and tell them thanks!
Make up a phony excuse why you cannot buy it at that time.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:16 AM   #12
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Tor how far over are you going?
Old 08-21-2013, 07:17 AM   #13
Dragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Dragons Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Lmao
Old 08-21-2013, 07:26 AM   #15
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
With what in particular?

your TB ID
Old 08-21-2013, 07:50 AM   #17
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaltaco65 View Post
your TB ID
Just a few mm's. The 65mm 4.0 would be a logical candidate because of the same wiring and ECU controls. That's key to making it work. I'm going to my local auto wrecking yard to measure the bolt pattern for myself to find out for sure whether or not it's 65mm square like the 61mm 2.7 throttle body is.

My 1.5 Yaris had a stock 46mm throttle. A 51mm Corolla 1.8 throttle body works great because it uses exactly the same electronic controls and has exactly the same bolt pattern (60mm square).

I had an adaptor plate CNC designed and machined so that it would work. I believe that exactly the same approach that worked on my car would also work on my truck. Besides a header there's absolutely nothing else to enhance the normally aspirated performance of the 2.7. So it's a wide open uncharted land that is already lots of fun to explore.

Greg
Old 08-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #18
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Throttle body gasket is an O-ring.
Yeah, Toyota uses the same simple functional gasket design for all of their current throttle bodies because it has excellent sealing capabilities..

Old 08-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #19
lemon177 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matthew
lemon177's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
I had an adaptor plate CNC designed and machined so that it would work. I believe that exactly the same approach that worked on my car would also work on my truck. Besides a header there's absolutely nothing else to enhance the normally aspirated performance of the 2.7. So it's a wide open uncharted land that is already lots of fun to explore.

Greg
you could always up the compression

not sure if this was mentioned, but URD has a tb conversion for the 4.0 in our trucks to mount the slightly larger tb found on the newer 1gre's with dual vvti in the fj/4runner. if you could get in contact with them im sure theyll have numbers and pix for you
Old 08-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #20
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the suggestion.
There's an auto wrecking yard for Toyota pickup trucks and SUV's not far from me. And when I go to measure, if the bolt pattern is 65mm square, I can pick up a 4.0 throttle body when I'm there.