Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

07 Tacoma Odd clunking/popping sounding coming from under truck

Old 11-27-2013, 03:42 AM   #21
diesel mechanic
lunch box is on a distinguished road

lunch box's Tacoma Gallery
hard to tell maybe a broken coil over spring which can be hard to see, doesnt really sound like a u joint shifting, see if you can duplicate the sound with a jack just by jacking up on the suspension.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:55 AM   #22
diesel mechanic
lunch box is on a distinguished road

lunch box's Tacoma Gallery
dont know if my reply posted doesnt look like it did im thinking poosible broken coil over spring it can be hard to see run a scribe all the way around the spring and look for cracks,also if you go from first to reverse a few times it will tell you if its U joint slop but it didnt sound like it sounds like suspension related or even steering related
Old 01-09-2014, 05:39 PM   #23
DannyD is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
DannyD's Tacoma Gallery
My truck is doing this aswell. Might not be as severe. Just a single pop/clunk when coming to a stop or an initial go when the wheel is turned both forward and reverse. I can actually feel it under my feet slightly

I have a 2012 4x4 with 28,000km on it. I took it to the dealer suggesting they check the tourque on all the suspension components. He greased my wheel stops with some never seize and told me its the hardened mud in my frame and under my skid plate. He found some huge chunks hidden up there somewhere. I cant see how any amount of dirt would strain the components enough to make them make a popping noise but I agreed to clean it further then go from there. I pressure wash all the time but must be locations you cant see from taking a knee on a stock truck. Im goona put it up on some stands, drop the skid plate and go to town with the pressure washer before anything else.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:38 PM   #24
careyrob is on a distinguished road
careyrob's Tacoma Gallery
Mine was the drive shaft carrier bearing

I had similar noises coming from somewhere under my 05 Tacoma two winters ago in North Dakota when the temperature dropped below -30F one week. It went away after the weather warmed up so I thought it was just ice on the undercarriage popping.

The next summer it was more pronounced when it returned while I was on vacation in NY. It was both u-joints making the popping sound, but they went out because the drive shaft carrier bearing had failed. I had about 108k mills on the truck.

That's a nice $700 fix at the dealer which I would have done myself if I wasn't 1200 miles from home with a pregnant wife and a 2 year old.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:46 AM   #25
UTMOST is on a distinguished road

Name: Josh
UTMOST's Tacoma Gallery
If anyone has Uniball upper arms it could be that the uniball is dried out. I just sprayed some silicone spray around it and my noise went right away.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:26 AM   #26
Johnnycage is on a distinguished road

Johnnycage's Tacoma Gallery
I still can't find the cause. Looked countless times and had a couple mechanics try to diagnose. The last couple suggestions I'll look at soon.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:49 AM   #28
Johnnycage is on a distinguished road

Johnnycage's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Have you tried rotating the LCA camber bolts? To see if they are seized?
Haven't thought to try that. Will have to when then weather warms up.