Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Factory Exhaust Pipe Question

Old 08-30-2013, 07:23 AM   #1
speddmn is on a distinguished road

speddmn's Tacoma Gallery
Question Factory Exhaust Pipe Question

I searched but I think i'm probably using terms that are far too generic - can someone tell me the diameter of the factory exhaust on a V6?

I have a 2013 DCSB 4.0 4x4

(also, is it stainless?)
Thanks!
Old 08-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
I can't say for certain... but I believe that it's the same as the 2.7 exhaust which has an outside diameter of 2 3/8 inches. I found this out when I had purchased a muffler that fits 2 1/4" pipe and the ends needed to be swedged out to 2 3/8" to slip fit over the pipes. The system is definitely not stainless and is most likely made of aluminized steel.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
speddmn is on a distinguished road

speddmn's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the detailed response dude!
Old 08-31-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
Gearhead
DonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Oscar
DonziGT230's Tacoma Gallery
May not matter here, but I can almost guarantee it's stainless steel. Probably a low grade like 409 which is magnetic and will rust and welds easily, but way outlasts bare or aluminized steel.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonziGT230 View Post
May not matter here, but I can almost guarantee it's stainless steel. Probably a low grade like 409 which is magnetic and will rust and welds easily, but way outlasts bare or aluminized steel.
You may be right...

...it just sounds funny to read that it's stainless steel...

...except that it's magnetic and it rusts.

Greg
Old 08-31-2013, 09:47 PM   #7
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Hey, I'm glad that it's not just plain steel because I want my stock exhaust system to last. It's quiet and doesn't lose low end torque.

I tend to think of stainless steel as more like this...

Old 09-02-2013, 07:45 AM   #8
Gearhead
DonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Oscar
DonziGT230's Tacoma Gallery
The pretty stuff is higher grade and polished. The cheap stuff could probably be polished, but a crapload of work. I believe all automotive exhausts have been stainless for decades. The oxygenated fuels and emission controls have accelerated corrosion on the exhaust greatly compared to the good ole days. The factory exhaust will last pretty much forever even tho is looks to be rusty.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #9
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the useful information. I'm really happy to hear that because it's good to have materials that last, especially in an exhaust system.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:36 AM   #10
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by speddmn View Post
I searched but I think i'm probably using terms that are far too generic - can someone tell me the diameter of the factory exhaust on a V6?

I have a 2013 DCSB 4.0 4x4

(also, is it stainless?)
Thanks!
The older gen IIs are 2.25 pipes, but I've "heard" that the newer model years are now 2.5. Not sure on when the switch occurred, but would suspect your '13 is 2.5.