Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Borla Pro XS a good purchase!?

Old 09-02-2013, 12:24 AM   #1
HiFinest Shiggz is on a distinguished road
Name: Ikaika
HiFinest Shiggz's Tacoma Gallery
Borla Pro XS a good purchase!?

Just got a ball park figure of having a single in/dual out Borla Exhaust system put on my v6 taco. I'm debating on what size tips I want to get, I saw some 3inch & 3.5inch black tips that I like but not sure if I should go with chrome or black!? Opinions, thoughts, suggestions???
Old 09-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
dallas24 is on a distinguished road
Name: Dallas
dallas24's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Borla with chrome tip, but I got it before I started by black out. Now that I'm completely blacked out I want to get a black tip. I guess for you it all depends on what kind of look you're going for with your truck.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
MarkedByMajesty is on a distinguished road
MarkedByMajesty's Tacoma Gallery
I went for a black out look on my Desert sand truck and unfortunately I couldn't find a Black Borla exhaust tip so I went with a MBRP one. I love the look of a flat black exhaust tip.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:39 AM   #4
808surferboy is on a distinguished road
808surferboy's Tacoma Gallery
Borla Pro XS

Installed borla pro xs single in dual out with 3 1/2" stainless tips....love the look and sound.... totally satisfied...go for it if you haven't already decided.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #5
AEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Director of Wing Inspections
Name: Chris
AEmedic's Tacoma Gallery
I just installed the Borla Pro XS 40352 on my 14. The tip I ordered, 20248, is on backorder so I have no tip on it right now at all.

Honestly I don't like it right now... It just sounds noisy, I hope it sounds different with the tip, once it arrives.

I saved the OE muffler, so I can always put it back on.

I'm pretty disappointed! It sounds like many of the cheap 4 cyl automatic rental cars I've had over the years, especially when I'm just driving easy and the automatic is going through the gears with little to no rpm change during the shifts.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
Token
Fluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Fluffymonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEmedic View Post
I just installed the Borla Pro XS 40352 on my 14. The tip I ordered, 20248, is on backorder so I have no tip on it right now at all.

Honestly I don't like it right now... It just sounds noisy, I hope it sounds different with the tip, once it arrives.

I saved the OE muffler, so I can always put it back on.

I'm pretty disappointed! It sounds like many of the cheap 4 cyl automatic rental cars I've had over the years, especially when I'm just driving easy and the automatic is going through the gears with little to no rpm change during the shifts.

The tip won't change the sound, but hopefully you'll like it more once the muffler breaks in and 'mellows' a bit.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
AEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shed
AEmedic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffymonkey View Post
The tip won't change the sound, but hopefully you'll like it more once the muffler breaks in and 'mellows' a bit.
You say that, but I have read in numerous places, thanks to the internet, that a resonated or oversized tip WILL deepen the tone and help to eliminate rasp of the exhaust...
Old 11-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #8
Token
Fluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Fluffymonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEmedic View Post
You say that, but I have read in numerous places, thanks to the internet, that a resonated or oversized tip WILL deepen the tone and help to eliminate rasp of the exhaust...
I've run all size tips in the 10 years i've been driving tacos and i've never heard a change (as is the consensus on TW), but I suppose a resonated tip will change the sound; although i'm not sure I've ever seen anyone run a resonated tip on a tacoma - usually people run a muffler with an internal resonator or an external resonator after the y pipe or after the muffler.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
AEmedic's Tacoma Gallery
I had the Borla 20248 resonated tip installed on mine this afternoon and it definitely sounds more like a tuned exhaust than it did without the tip. Before it sounded muddy/noisy. What surprised me is that it is actually louder with the resonated tip...

Oh, and it looks better as well!!

I'm not sure if I love it yet but I sure like it a lot more than I did.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #10
808surferboy is on a distinguished road
808surferboy's Tacoma Gallery
Good for you doing your homework about that borla 20248 resonating tip.

....curious about the 20248 resonated tip though...will check it out in the future enjoy your ride...