Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Has Anyone Done a Spark Plug Change with a TRD Supercharger?

Old 09-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jer
Ostrichsak's Tacoma Gallery
Has Anyone Done a Spark Plug Change with a TRD Supercharger?

I've got to change out my plugs and I'm looking for a little bit of guidance. Specifically speaking getting to the ones on the driver's side. I see some say that it's necessary to remove the s/c to get access which sounds like a real PITA. I've seen mention that it can be done w/o removing the s/c though and I was hoping that someone who has done this method can point me in the direction of a How To or perhaps shed some light on this with some details.

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
Interweb wheeler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
PM wrmathis
Old 09-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
Do Work Son!
rossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rossk35's Tacoma Gallery
s/c has to come off to do the drivers side. Its not difficult at all to remove.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossk35 View Post
s/c has to come off to do the drivers side. Its not difficult at all to remove.
I've read from a few people on other forums now who say you can do it using two 3" adapters and a ratchet with a plug socket. I think I'm going to try that before I take the s/c off.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
mike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant future
Army: SFC,  19 years, 5 to go.
Name: Michael
mike92y's Tacoma Gallery
Please let me now what you end up doing. I wonder if you have replace any gaskets if you remove the super charger. I still have the instal directions if you need mee to send yout something (torque specs) whatever.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
Don't taze me bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike92y View Post
Please let me now what you end up doing. I wonder if you have replace any gaskets if you remove the super charger. I still have the instal directions if you need mee to send yout something (torque specs) whatever.
I've read there is a concern w/the gaskets and potentially messing them up or pinching them when re-installing and that's one of the primary reasons I don't want to remove the s/c to change the plugs. If I'm unable to swap them with it on then I'll need those torque specs.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
mike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant future
mike92y's Tacoma Gallery
OK no problem except I am not home this week. I am in Atlanta this week. I will be home Saturday around 12PM Arizona time. Give me about an hour or so and I will email install pages you need with torque specs. Are you getting new gaskets?
Old 09-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
Don't taze me bro!

Quote:
OK no problem except I am not home this week. I am in Atlanta this week. I will be home Saturday around 12PM Arizona time. Give me about an hour or so and I will email install pages you need with torque specs. Are you getting new gaskets?
Don't worry about it right now. If I need then I'll let you know. I want to see if I can get this done w/o removal first.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #9
mike92y's Tacoma Gallery
Hey I'm back from Atlanta. How is the plug change going?
Old 09-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #11
mike92y's Tacoma Gallery
Cool. Thanks for the information. Any problems with any of the gaskets?
Old 09-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #12
Don't taze me bro!

Quote:
Cool. Thanks for the information. Any problems with any of the gaskets?
Nope. Be careful to pull the intercooler cover off because on mine part of that one stuck to the cover and the rest stayed on the bottom so I can see where it might have broke/tore had I just yanked it off. I can also see where the s/c to head gasket could be a pain since it's underneath the s/c and you can't really see it. It went relatively smoothly once I admitted defeat and decided to just remove the s/c to access the plugs rather than trying to get them changed while it was on. Since I had a new pulley to install the belt had to come off anyway so I wasn't too many more steps from pulling the whole thing off. I was hoping to be able to do it w/o pulling the s/c though that way the next time I need to change plugs I wouldn't have to pull it. The next time I need to change plugs I'll need a new belt anyway so just an excuse to do everything at once.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #13
mike92y's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the information!!! I will follow your lead when it comes time for me to change the plugs.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #14
lemon177 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matthew
lemon177's Tacoma Gallery
might want to talk to whitebeauty (?) on xrunderground about the intercooler gasket. i think he has a replacement for those that remove the supercharger unit. (only because it loses its integrity after awhile/numerous reinstalls)
Old 09-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #15
mike92y's Tacoma Gallery
Will do thanks. I am also going to beak out install instructions and see if I can find a part number.