Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

What upgrades are needed to handle a Twincharger?

Old 09-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #21
Gadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gadget@URD's Tacoma Gallery
Old 09-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #22
Peanut butter mini time
Phil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
Phil Dammit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget@URD View Post
Those numbers were adjusted to 31's or 32's?
Old 09-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #23
AHamsterPig is on a distinguished road
Name: Tyler
AHamsterPig's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys! Sorry for the late reply, didn't expect so much interest, but happy anyway!
My plan was to upgrade the engine after everything else, (I.E. Lift, Wheels, Tires, new suspension, etc.). My reasoning behind grabbing the added Turbo is to, like I said, also have the advantage of the Turbo's smaller gas consumption when the Super turns off. Also I just like spending money and seeing things go fast and have lots and lots of horses.. Guilty pleasure of mine

So thanks for the interest guys, hope to hear back from y'all and please feel free to ask more questions
Old 09-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #24
TRDFORME is on a distinguished road
TRDFORME's Tacoma Gallery
I believe it's called compound charged.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #25
Sleeper 4x4
Super Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Super Werty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDFORME View Post
I believe it's called compound charged.
correct. or compound boost. Twin charged usually implies there are two superchargers.

Anyways, it's not a very common practice and for good reason...expensive and complicated. Just doesnt make sense when URD already has a kit that does great with mpg and has the ability to push the power well beyond what the truck can handle.

Remember... the 4cyl could potentially use the C38-91 Rotrex with a built engine
Old 09-11-2013, 10:05 PM   #26
Peanut butter mini time
Phil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHamsterPig View Post
Hey guys! Sorry for the late reply, didn't expect so much interest, but happy anyway!
My plan was to upgrade the engine after everything else, (I.E. Lift, Wheels, Tires, new suspension, etc.). My reasoning behind grabbing the added Turbo is to, like I said, also have the advantage of the Turbo's smaller gas consumption when the Super turns off. Also I just like spending money and seeing things go fast and have lots and lots of horses.. Guilty pleasure of mine

So thanks for the interest guys, hope to hear back from y'all and please feel free to ask more questions
Turn off? What, do you think supers work like the one of of mad max's ford? And why not just superturbo it?
Old 09-12-2013, 05:14 AM   #27
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
That set up was common on Detroit diesels for more punch a turbo before the super charger been used for years, it works. One thing to remember in order to make HP it has to have fuel the forced induction helps by reducing the effort to get air into the engine but it takes BTU's to produce power.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:39 AM   #28
Gadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gadget@URD's Tacoma Gallery
With the older Detroits they needed the blower just to run. They were 2 stroke and the blower was used to push air into the cylinders. Without the blower they could not even start. The Silver series then had a turbo on top of that for power.

G
Old 09-12-2013, 07:15 AM   #29
Peanut butter mini time

Quote:
With the older Detroits they needed the blower just to run. They were 2 stroke and the blower was used to push air into the cylinders. Without the blower they could not even start. The Silver series then had a turbo on top of that for power.

G
No shit, I want to YouTube this. Any suggestions to search?
Old 09-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #30
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Supercharged Detroit Diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakraj View Post
So you get 476 Hp, and 538 ft, from the URD kit? Thats not believable.
That would be from my 1GR turbo kit. I was going to post up the 2TR graphs, but Gadget beat me to it.

OP, all around easiest to do a bolt on kit. The URD kit. Look at how much higher the tq is, with the blower, at the beginning of the map. Roughly 75 ft-lbs higher. Then continues to increase. Easiest most complete power adder for the 2TR.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #31
wildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shed
wildcats's Tacoma Gallery
A turbo and supercharger won't help you save fuel. The combination will allow you use burn the most fuel possible. Early boost of the supercharger and higher top end of a turbo. The problem is it's very complicated and doesn't have many advantages. A properly sized turbo or supercharger will do almost as well.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #32
AHamsterPig is on a distinguished road
Name: Tyler
AHamsterPig's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcats View Post
A turbo and supercharger won't help you save fuel. The combination will allow you use burn the most fuel possible. Early boost of the supercharger and higher top end of a turbo. The problem is it's very complicated and doesn't have many advantages. A properly sized turbo or supercharger will do almost as well.
It actually gives about the same amount or even better when compared to a SuperCharger since it stops the supercharger from pressurizing when needed so the TwinCharger system actually has alot of advantages. The supercharger provides near-instant manifold pressure (eliminating turbo lag, from the turbocharger when it is not up to its operating speed). Once the turbocharger has reached operating speed, the supercharger can either continue compounding the pressurized air to the turbocharger inlet , or it can be bypassed and/or mechanically decoupled from the drivetrain via an electromagnetic clutch and bypass valve (increasing efficiency of the induction system).
Old 09-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #33
wildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHamsterPig View Post
It actually gives about the same amount or even better when compared to a SuperCharger since it stops the supercharger from pressurizing when needed so the TwinCharger system actually has alot of advantages. The supercharger provides near-instant manifold pressure (eliminating turbo lag, from the turbocharger when it is not up to its operating speed). Once the turbocharger has reached operating speed, the supercharger can either continue compounding the pressurized air to the turbocharger inlet , or it can be bypassed and/or mechanically decoupled from the drivetrain via an electromagnetic clutch and bypass valve (increasing efficiency of the induction system).
How many situations are there where you need the immediate response of a belt driven blower but it can't provide the horsepower you need. A properly sized roots supercharger or turbo can provide all the power 99.9% of people would want and still providing adequate low rpm power. And I still don't see anyway a twin charger could possibly provide better fuel economy than a supercharger. And furthermore if your concerned about fuel economy both a supercharger and turbo are going to increase your fuel consumption, and you can't argue that.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #34
Peanut butter mini time

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcats View Post
How many situations are there where you need the immediate response of a belt driven blower but it can't provide the horsepower you need. A properly sized roots supercharger or turbo can provide all the power 99.9% of people would want and still providing adequate low rpm power. And I still don't see anyway a twin charger could possibly provide better fuel economy than a supercharger. And furthermore if your concerned about fuel economy both a supercharger and turbo are going to increase your fuel consumption, and you can't argue that.
Fuel consumption is all dependent on tune. Twincharging has been around for decades. Urd's working on a setup for big diesels to help fuel econ. This idea isn new and provides the gains he wants. He wants to go big, for a small liter vehicle this will achieve that with maximum efficiency.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:17 AM   #36
Peanut butter mini time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Clearly the OP wants to do it. Sooooooo......the next question is, any idea of clearance issues of between the where the Rotrex mounts and where the turbo is supposed relatively mount?
The urd charger mounts same side as header. And its on top, would be a tight fit
Old 09-13-2013, 07:22 AM   #37
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

G
I love the old Detroits! If they weren't leaking, they weren't running right and God help you if you were behind one at a light, you were going to be in a cloud of smoke for as long as you were behind one. And, of course, what a sound those engines made
Old 09-13-2013, 08:32 AM   #38
Ok even if he wants to do it and i look past my problems with the idea, you definetly wouldn't want to use a centrifugal supercharger, they spool up slower than a turbo.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #40
Peanut butter mini time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Does anyone make a roots/twin screw for the 2TR? o_O

I don't think there is one. Doesn't mean one can't fit with some custom parts though.

If there isn't, and I really don't think there is, then the bolt on S/C is the easier choice than a custom s/c and custom turbo kit.
Ausi's make a bolt on turbo kit for the 2tr. Supposed to run 250-300 bhp on stock injectors, pump, and a flashed ecu. Kits 3k. Not much info in it though. Would like to know if it works with the us spec 2tr.