1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What upgrades are needed to handle a Twincharger?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by AHamsterPig, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Sep 11, 2013 at 8:19 PM
    AHamsterPig

AHamsterPig [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Midland, Tx
    Vehicle:
    '13 Regular Cab 2.7 4 Cylinder
    Hey guys! Sorry for the late reply, didn't expect so much interest, but happy anyway!
    My plan was to upgrade the engine after everything else, (I.E. Lift, Wheels, Tires, new suspension, etc.). My reasoning behind grabbing the added Turbo is to, like I said, also have the advantage of the Turbo's smaller gas consumption when the Super turns off. Also I just like spending money and seeing things go fast and have lots and lots of horses.. Guilty pleasure of mine :D

So thanks for the interest guys, hope to hear back from y'all and please feel free to ask more questions :p

2. Sep 11, 2013 at 8:34 PM
    TRDFORME

TRDFORME Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 trd 4x4 limited
    I believe it's called compound charged.

3. Sep 11, 2013 at 9:25 PM
    Super Werty

Super Werty Sleeper 4x4

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Tacoma
    air and fuel
    correct. or compound boost. Twin charged usually implies there are two superchargers.

Anyways, it's not a very common practice and for good reason...expensive and complicated. Just doesnt make sense when URD already has a kit that does great with mpg and has the ability to push the power well beyond what the truck can handle.

Remember... the 4cyl could potentially use the C38-91 Rotrex with a built engine:cool:

4. Sep 11, 2013 at 10:05 PM
    Phil Dammit

Phil Dammit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    4.5/5.5 drop, DJM arms, QA1 coilovers, 6lug leafs, QA1 18-way, rear swaybar, Batwing Big brakes, high flow cat, indy/hurst shifter, memphis amps, focal 3-ways, Eclipse AV unit, SunDown 10" custom box, TRD bucket swap.
    Turn off? What, do you think supers work like the one of of mad max's ford? And why not just superturbo it?

5. Sep 12, 2013 at 5:14 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    That set up was common on Detroit diesels for more punch a turbo before the super charger been used for years, it works. One thing to remember in order to make HP it has to have fuel the forced induction helps by reducing the effort to get air into the engine but it takes BTU's to produce power.

6. Sep 12, 2013 at 5:39 AM
    Gadget@URD

Gadget@URD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Southern Maryland USA
    Vehicle:
    URD Supercharged XRunner
    With the older Detroits they needed the blower just to run. They were 2 stroke and the blower was used to push air into the cylinders. Without the blower they could not even start. The Silver series then had a turbo on top of that for power.

G

7. Sep 12, 2013 at 7:15 AM
    Phil Dammit

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    4.5/5.5 drop, DJM arms, QA1 coilovers, 6lug leafs, QA1 18-way, rear swaybar, Batwing Big brakes, high flow cat, indy/hurst shifter, memphis amps, focal 3-ways, Eclipse AV unit, SunDown 10" custom box, TRD bucket swap.
    No shit, I want to YouTube this. Any suggestions to search?

8. Sep 12, 2013 at 9:54 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Supercharged Detroit Diesel.

That would be from my 1GR turbo kit. :D I was going to post up the 2TR graphs, but Gadget beat me to it.

OP, all around easiest to do a bolt on kit. The URD kit. Look at how much higher the tq is, with the blower, at the beginning of the map. Roughly 75 ft-lbs higher. Then continues to increase. Easiest most complete power adder for the 2TR.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  9. Sep 12, 2013 at 10:03 AM
    wildcats

wildcats Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB Sport
    A turbo and supercharger won't help you save fuel. The combination will allow you use burn the most fuel possible. Early boost of the supercharger and higher top end of a turbo. The problem is it's very complicated and doesn't have many advantages. A properly sized turbo or supercharger will do almost as well.

10. Sep 12, 2013 at 7:26 PM
    AHamsterPig

AHamsterPig [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Midland, Tx
    Vehicle:
    '13 Regular Cab 2.7 4 Cylinder
    It actually gives about the same amount or even better when compared to a SuperCharger since it stops the supercharger from pressurizing when needed so the TwinCharger system actually has alot of advantages. The supercharger provides near-instant manifold pressure (eliminating turbo lag, from the turbocharger when it is not up to its operating speed). Once the turbocharger has reached operating speed, the supercharger can either continue compounding the pressurized air to the turbocharger inlet , or it can be bypassed and/or mechanically decoupled from the drivetrain via an electromagnetic clutch and bypass valve (increasing efficiency of the induction system).

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  11. Sep 12, 2013 at 7:53 PM
    wildcats

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB Sport
    How many situations are there where you need the immediate response of a belt driven blower but it can't provide the horsepower you need. A properly sized roots supercharger or turbo can provide all the power 99.9% of people would want and still providing adequate low rpm power. And I still don't see anyway a twin charger could possibly provide better fuel economy than a supercharger. And furthermore if your concerned about fuel economy both a supercharger and turbo are going to increase your fuel consumption, and you can't argue that.

12. Sep 12, 2013 at 8:40 PM
    Phil Dammit

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    Fuel consumption is all dependent on tune. Twincharging has been around for decades. Urd's working on a setup for big diesels to help fuel econ. This idea isn new and provides the gains he wants. He wants to go big, for a small liter vehicle this will achieve that with maximum efficiency.

13. Sep 13, 2013 at 6:00 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Clearly the OP wants to do it. Sooooooo......the next question is, any idea of clearance issues of between the where the Rotrex mounts and where the turbo is supposed relatively mount?

14. Sep 13, 2013 at 7:17 AM
    Phil Dammit

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    The urd charger mounts same side as header. And its on top, would be a tight fit

15. Sep 13, 2013 at 7:22 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I love the old Detroits! If they weren't leaking, they weren't running right and God help you if you were behind one at a light, you were going to be in a cloud of smoke for as long as you were behind one. And, of course, what a sound those engines made :drool:

16. Sep 13, 2013 at 8:32 AM
    wildcats

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB Sport
    Ok even if he wants to do it and i look past my problems with the idea, you definetly wouldn't want to use a centrifugal supercharger, they spool up slower than a turbo.

17. Sep 13, 2013 at 10:36 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Does anyone make a roots/twin screw for the 2TR? o_O

I don't think there is one. Doesn't mean one can't fit with some custom parts though.

If there isn't, and I really don't think there is, then the bolt on S/C is the easier choice than a custom s/c and custom turbo kit.

18. Sep 13, 2013 at 10:58 AM
    Phil Dammit

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    Ausi's make a bolt on turbo kit for the 2tr. Supposed to run 250-300 bhp on stock injectors, pump, and a flashed ecu. Kits 3k. Not much info in it though. Would like to know if it works with the us spec 2tr.

19. Sep 13, 2013 at 11:22 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Got my vote then. Lol

20. Sep 13, 2013 at 11:28 AM
    Phil Dammit

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    Lol

Products Discussed in

To Top