EFalco50 will become famous soon enoughEFalco50 will become famous soon enough
Name: Ethan
EFalco50's Tacoma Gallery
Which Brakes would you Choose?

I'm thinking, stick to all factory.

What would you choose?
Old 09-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I hated the factory brakes and refused to buy them again. I went with Autozone Duralast pads and rotors and was happy with the results.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
kigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to behold

Name: James
kigmob's Tacoma Gallery
I like my brembo oe replacement rotors and hawk lts pads.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kigmob View Post
ran that combo before......... decent

Now Im running

EBC stage 5 kit with braided lines..... much better stopping, minimal wind noise
Old 09-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #5
Woah! How did that get here?
Mines just a Standard cab and the brakes are kinda wack, since I but the big tires it brakes terrible, I was thinking when I need to change them I would go with something better than factory.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFalco50 View Post
Mines just a Standard cab and the brakes are kinda wack, since I but the big tires it brakes terrible, I was thinking when I need to change them I would go with something better than factory.
thats the nature of these trucks.

Look into disabling the ABS (killswitch) if ur comfortable braking on ur own depending on road conditions. It will make stops much shorter without ABS usually. I never had ABS before this truck, and have grown to hate the over active ABS system on these tacomas.

Truck now has the stage 5 I posted about, the braided lines, and an ABS killswitch. Stopping is much better, theres no ABS activation when coming down a curving freeway exit (it seriously happens when ABS is enabled, and makes stopping unpredictable and dangerous even in dry weather).

OEM iirc is ceramic which provides less dusting, less noise, and I think longer lasting pad life. (statistically)

BUUUUUUUUT, initial bite usually sucks.... I dont know about you, but I dont drag my brakes, and dont see a way to pre warm them before an accident.

Ive had zero issues with the two aftermarket setups so far (brembo/hawk, or EBC). dusting hasnt appeared to be any different, and I have no noise upon braking, great pad life, no pulsing, and minimal wind noise from the slots.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:53 PM   #7
Could you recommend a good link to the brakes your mentioning? Ive always heard of EBC and Brembo but ive never seen them at any stores.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #8

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFalco50 View Post
Could you recommend a good link to the brakes your mentioning? Ive always heard of EBC and Brembo but ive never seen them at any stores.
I got mine through 4wp, but before that I was gunna order through here

http://ebcrotors.com/c-82-ebc-brake-kits.aspx

braided lines came from tirerack
Old 09-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
Total Automotive Performance
Chas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chas
Chas of MRT's Tacoma Gallery
My favorite setup has been from Hawk LTS pads and Hawk Rotors. I had great results with PowerSlot Slotted rotors and Hawk LTS & Hawk SD pads as well as cheaper PowerSTOP rotors.

EBC makes high quality equipment as well. I would use their YellowStuff or 7000series GreenStuff pads and USR rotors.

Stay away from drilled or dimpled rotors, but slotted rotors are great for trucks as they will prevent pad material buildup on the rotor face which leads to that nasty vibration a lot of us have had.

Give TAP Auto a call and they will get you setup. 702.979.1577
Old 09-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #11
Titles? We don't need no stinkin' titles.
bubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to behold

Name: Mike
bubba353z's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kigmob View Post
+1
Old 09-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #12
Sweet suggestions yall!
Old 09-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #13

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas of MRT View Post
Stay away from drilled or dimpled rotors, but slotted rotors are great for trucks as they will prevent pad material buildup on the rotor face which leads to that nasty vibration a lot of us have had.
I know drilled crack, what's wrong with dimple tho?
Just curious
Old 09-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #14
Total Automotive Performance
Chas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chas
Chas of MRT's Tacoma Gallery
Nothing wrong with them. The issue is you are removing surface area of where the pads could b making contact with the rotor. We are not driving these trucks on a race track where heat and degassing of pads are an issue
Old 09-20-2013, 12:32 AM   #15

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas of MRT View Post
Nothing wrong with them. The issue is you are removing surface area of where the pads could b making contact with the rotor. We are not driving these trucks on a race track where heat and degassing of pads are an issue
we dont all drive the same, but Ill take your suggestion.
I do have some canyons nearby, and I do drive the truck fairly hard.... hence the mods.
Ill see if any issues come up from these rotors over the long haul and re-evaluate my decision.