1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine lag

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by saltus25, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Oct 10, 2013 at 2:56 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    ^^^ Thank you.

Some people do things like that. Causes the ecu to have to relearn, which then makes it run "differently"
    than it normally does.

Not going to be air in the filter, as the cause.

Do you have any CEL's?

Have you yet looked at your maf sensor, like others said?

Have you checked your throttle body to make sure it moves freely?

Have you had the hood open and listened to the engine running, and heard any hissing sounds? I.E. vacuum leaks.

Have you

2. Oct 10, 2013 at 2:56 PM
    saltus25

saltus25 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Graydon
    Angleton,TX
    Flowmaster American Thunder Exhaust, K&N intake, OME 3" lift, Pro Comp Extreme MT2 tires, Mickey Thompson Classic II Wheels, Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers, URD short throw shifter, KC 100 watt lights, custom steel mesh grill, halo headlights, Rigid Industries Dully's, SOS Offroad Concepts front bumper, SOS Offroad Concepts custom rear bumper, All Pro and BAMF skids
    Sorry if i was miss understood. I wasnt getting mad or sarcastic or anything. Really any suggestions or info is appreciated.

3. Oct 10, 2013 at 3:02 PM
    saltus25

Member:
    First Name:
    Graydon
    Angleton,TX
    Flowmaster American Thunder Exhaust, K&N intake, OME 3" lift, Pro Comp Extreme MT2 tires, Mickey Thompson Classic II Wheels, Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers, URD short throw shifter, KC 100 watt lights, custom steel mesh grill, halo headlights, Rigid Industries Dully's, SOS Offroad Concepts front bumper, SOS Offroad Concepts custom rear bumper, All Pro and BAMF skids
    Yeah i listened for leaks and everything seems to be normal. I checked for moisture on the MAF sensor and there was nothing. Iv yet to take anything apart though. Havnt had time today and ill be camping up in Maine all weekend so that will have to wait till next week. Im not sure what you mean by cel's so im gonna assume no.

4. Oct 10, 2013 at 4:06 PM
    tooter

tooter play every day

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2012, std cab, 5 lug, 2.7, 5 speed
    Built for maximum low end torque, tooter II.VII intake manifold spacer, LCE long tube header, Injen long tube intake, 2,900 rpm torque peak.
    CEL's are check engine lights...

...which are any of the little red icons in your gauge cluster that all light up when you first turn on the ignition. If any of them remain on while you're driving, they're letting you know that there's something wrong.

5. Oct 10, 2013 at 6:06 PM
    saltus25

Member:
    First Name:
    Graydon
    Angleton,TX
    Gotch ya. And no. The maintenance required light is on but thats been on since this first time i did an oil change. I used to know how to clear it but i forgot the sequence. Something about turn on the ignition, push in odometer and hold three seconds, turn off ignition while holding odometer button and then turn back on. Then the odometer flashes zeros and resets to ur total milage. Something like that

6. Oct 10, 2013 at 6:08 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...eneration-tacomas-reset-maint-reqd-light.html

7. Oct 10, 2013 at 6:15 PM
    saltus25

Member:
    First Name:
    Graydon
    Angleton,TX
    Haha much oblidged.

8. Oct 10, 2013 at 9:02 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Nope.
    That is only there to drain the spill from breaking the filter gasket. No connection to the engine internals, or anything else.

Seriously, there is nothing involved in an oil change that would impact engine performance unless you are disconnecting the battery, which you aren't.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  9. Oct 11, 2013 at 4:52 AM
    saltus25

Member:
    First Name:
    Graydon
    Angleton,TX
    Well i just got to work and reset my maintenance required light so it might just be that throwing off the ecu. Wont know till later though.

10. Oct 11, 2013 at 7:21 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    I concur.

How many miles do go between changes?

11. Oct 11, 2013 at 11:48 AM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Nope.
    Maintenance light is just a 5000 mile timer.
    I'm not even sure that it's status is communicated back to the ECU, and it has no impact on operations.

Some people were claiming a drop in MPG after the light comes on (as if the ECU is adding fuel to "protect" the engine, even though the effect would be the opposite) and left mine on for 15k and there was no impact.
    It flashes on startup at 4500 mile, and comes on solid at 5k.

12. Oct 11, 2013 at 1:08 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish

My ADHD would have made me lose my mind with the light on that long lol. I'd have to tape over it..... Then again I would know the light was still on and drive myself nuts.

13. Oct 11, 2013 at 1:18 PM
    Shauncho

Shauncho Embrace your inner Bro-ness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    Parts Unknown...
    Vehicle:
    none
    same here...that'd drive me nuts knowing it was on.

14. Oct 11, 2013 at 4:46 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    I felt the same way.
    Had to remind myself every day that it was in the name of science.

15. Oct 12, 2013 at 10:00 AM
    saltus25

Member:
    First Name:
    Graydon
    Angleton,TX
    Mine was on so long i didnt even notice it anymore. But its off now and it seems to be making a difference. Thanks for everyones input.

Products Discussed in

To Top