1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for loud deep throaty muffler system

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by 808surferboy, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Oct 13, 2013 at 12:54 AM
    808surferboy

808surferboy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD Sport
    Been checking out different muffler systems for my '13 taco double sport shorty ....looking at Borla, Flowmaster, Magnaflow and Spintech....heard good things about Magna flow but doesn't have for '13's....heard that Borla is loud and deeper sounding than Flowmaster...kinda confusing....so my trusted friends what might be your suggestions?..I have listened to numerous sound clips and unfortunately they do not do justice to the real thing. Also am going to change intake to a K&N or AFE...recent poll favors the AFE...any suggestions on that?...last thing to know is if warranty issues will be a problem if these aftermarket parts replace the factory ones....I don't think so according to the warranty but just double checking with ya all.....

2. Oct 13, 2013 at 1:01 AM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    Go with the Magnaflow system heck even consider the TRD exhaust system since it doesn't sound too bad

3. Oct 13, 2013 at 1:03 AM
    Admiral Awesome

Admiral Awesome IG:Bucklaooooo

Member:
    First Name:
    anthony
    Houston Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC TRD LT
    Camburg 3in LT kit fox shocks/bypasses 315-75-16 Scs f5 wheels gunmetal 16x8 Prinsu rack 40in heretic light bar Cali raised ditch light Baja squadron pros McNeil fiberglass fenders Adv fiberglass bedsides Volant intake
    aero turbine 2525 i love mine :)

4. Oct 13, 2013 at 2:19 AM
    Redfox1

Redfox1 'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Santa Paula, CA and SLO
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Sport TRD
    Browning Floor Mats, 275/70/17 BFG All-Terrain T/A's, Procomp 7089 wheels,Rear Spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's, LED roof light, seatbelt chime disabled, CB, UWS Toolbox,
    Hmm I read this wrong when I scrolled past the title quickly...

5. Oct 13, 2013 at 3:37 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    You need 8 cylinders for a deep throaty sound......

I had Flowmaster American Thunder series with 50 series muffler. The only time it was anywhere near what you're looking for (deep/throaty), was at idle. It was a softer/quieter setup. I didn't want loud....

I recommend getting something that's all stainless. If you live in the north, the aftermarket non-stainless setups could rust out in 4-6 years. I took mine off after 4 years from rust holes. I went back to OEM.

6. Oct 13, 2013 at 5:34 AM
    yota243

yota243 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E.J.
    north Alabama
    Vehicle:
    turbo 05 prerunner trd off road DC
    Bw s256 turbo with 3 in glass pack dumped pre axle raptor liner bed and top rails and fenderflares and rocker panels. Hunter side steps. Plasti-dipped upper fenders and emblems. satin black spray paint here and there inside and out. 5100's set to 1.75" up front . C channel front bumper. Maxxis bighorn 255/85/16
    U said deep throat ha.

7. Oct 13, 2013 at 12:49 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    Go to a shop, ask them to suggest 4 mufflers after u tell them what ur looking for in terms of sound. But tell them u would like them to cutout the old muffler, and temp clamp in the mufflers 1 at a time BUT NOT TELL U THE BRAND, then let u start the truck.
    Let it idle, see if u like the sound.

Throw a couple revs..... See if u like the sound...... Hold it around 2000 rpm for a couple seconds and see if it will drone. (This is just a theory I haven't tested, since the engine isn't really under a load I don't know if this will be an accurate test of droning at highway speeds at all).

Do this with all four mufflers plus or minus some, four was just a number I threw out.

Pick the muffler based solely on what your ears seemed to like.

After all..... Ur buying it for sound, not for the name.

Kinda like buying speakers when u find a place that has a sound room...... U have someone flip the switch to different speakers after u narrowed it down to a few models, and u CLOSE YOUR EYES and pick the best sounding speaker based off of how it sounds while playing a few soundtracks of music/ movies u like.

I think u will be fine with just a new muffler welded into the stock piping unless ur going force fed.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top