Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Traction bar options?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-13-2013, 07:00 AM   #1
Senior Member
WOODEX M.E. is on a distinguished road
 
WOODEX M.E.'s Avatar
Name: Corey
Joined: Nov 2012, #90445
Location: Maine
Gender: Male
Posts: 111
WOODEX M.E.'s Tacoma Gallery
Traction bar options?

Looking for a set of traction bars for my Tacoma 4x4. Anyone have any suggestions other than the Bud Built one? I was looking into the Caltrac bars and those seem to be the kind of design I am looking for. Does anyone have any experience with these or the company?

Also anyone install any type of traction bar and it lessen the driveline vibrations from 0-25mph? I figure axle wrap does not help the situation as well.

Included is a pic of the Caltracs on an x-runner
Attached Thumbnails
Traction bar options?-xrunnercaltracs2.jpg   Traction bar options?-xrunnercaltracs5.jpg  
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
Senior Member
Voodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really nice
 
Voodoo Rufus's Avatar
Name: Jason
Joined: Jul 2009, #19255
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 283
Voodoo Rufus's Tacoma Gallery
All I have heard of is the Bud Built one for regular trucks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
Senior Member
WOODEX M.E. is on a distinguished road
 
WOODEX M.E.'s Avatar
Name: Corey
Joined: Nov 2012, #90445
Location: Maine
Gender: Male
Posts: 111
WOODEX M.E.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Rufus View Post
All I have heard of is the Bud Built one for regular trucks.
I have seen that one as well, but don't really like its design. Might have to go custom fabricated if thats the best option. I don't wheel anymore (not since the first few scratches, maybe in a few years tho.) so maximum travel is not a concern.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
Senior Member
Voodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really nice
 
Voodoo Rufus's Avatar
Name: Jason
Joined: Jul 2009, #19255
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 283
Voodoo Rufus's Tacoma Gallery
What's wrong with the design? Asking for my own curiosity. I was thinking of getting one possibly.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
Senior Member
WOODEX M.E. is on a distinguished road
 
WOODEX M.E.'s Avatar
Name: Corey
Joined: Nov 2012, #90445
Location: Maine
Gender: Male
Posts: 111
WOODEX M.E.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Rufus View Post
What's wrong with the design? Asking for my own curiosity. I was thinking of getting one possibly.
Well the design has its benefits and draw backs. It does allow for uninhibited articulation for off roading and the like so that is good. But for me I am a mechanical engineer and I understand the forces going on here and dont like how the load is transfered from the pumpkin studs to forward the cross member. I mean it works. But I dont like it and I would rather have true traction bars. Sadly they inhibit travel/flex and can limit ground clearance. I guess its what you want out of it. I want to have a sleeper truck so im orientated towards street performance. If I want go off road I use my beater Jeep.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #6
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Joined: Sep 2011, #63268
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,765
Large's Tacoma Gallery
I've done everything to solve the axle wrap & driveline vibes, shims, drops, spacers and a 1 piece shaft and nothing. I have found another member who has the same issue and swears up and down the trac bar 100% eliminated vibes and almost eliminated all axle wrap. I am going to buy an ATO one pretty soon, some welding required though.

http://www.armortechoffroad.com/2005...Set_p_344.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #7
Senior Member
WOODEX M.E. is on a distinguished road
 
WOODEX M.E.'s Avatar
Name: Corey
Joined: Nov 2012, #90445
Location: Maine
Gender: Male
Posts: 111
WOODEX M.E.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
I've done everything to solve the axle wrap & driveline vibes, shims, drops, spacers and a 1 piece shaft and nothing. I have found another member who has the same issue and swears up and down the trac bar 100% eliminated vibes and almost eliminated all axle wrap. I am going to buy an ATO one pretty soon, some welding required though.

http://www.armortechoffroad.com/2005...Set_p_344.html
That design is basically the same as the Bud Built one. I'm surprised that the Tacoma they show in those pics (2nd Gen) has so much surface rust. Hope mine doesnt look like that in a few years. I hope the traction bar does solve the vibrations for you tho. I have the same issue.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Pugga's Avatar
Name: Mike
Joined: Jun 2010, #39131
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,416
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODEX M.E. View Post
That design is basically the same as the Bud Built one. I'm surprised that the Tacoma they show in those pics (2nd Gen) has so much surface rust. Hope mine doesnt look like that in a few years. I hope the traction bar does solve the vibrations for you tho. I have the same issue.
Hate to break it to you but some 2nd Gen owners have already had to fight with Toyota to get their frames replaced because they rotted out. Like able to put your finger through the rusted hole in the frame that shouldn't be there rusted out. I see you're in New England also, take care of your frame! Toyota didn't learn their lesson with the last batch of Tacomas.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #9
Senior Member
WOODEX M.E. is on a distinguished road
 
WOODEX M.E.'s Avatar
Name: Corey
Joined: Nov 2012, #90445
Location: Maine
Gender: Male
Posts: 111
WOODEX M.E.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Hate to break it to you but some 2nd Gen owners have already had to fight with Toyota to get their frames replaced because they rotted out. Like able to put your finger through the rusted hole in the frame that shouldn't be there rusted out. I see you're in New England also, take care of your frame! Toyota didn't learn their lesson with the last batch of Tacomas.
I may have lucked out on my first Tacoma (first gen) I had it during that whole mess and it was tested to be ok. I may have this one coated.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:32 AM   #10
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Joined: Sep 2009, #22958
Location: Houston
Gender: Dude
Posts: 4,567
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODEX M.E. View Post
Well the design has its benefits and draw backs. It does allow for uninhibited articulation for off roading and the like so that is good. But for me I am a mechanical engineer and I understand the forces going on here and dont like how the load is transfered from the pumpkin studs to forward the cross member. I mean it works. But I dont like it and I would rather have true traction bars. Sadly they inhibit travel/flex and can limit ground clearance. I guess its what you want out of it. I want to have a sleeper truck so im orientated towards street performance. If I want go off road I use my beater Jeep.
I have to agree with you 100%.

I have the Caltracs. And yes, they do limit travel, but in my case, that is just fine. I never fully liked the bud built because the front mounting location, next to the carrier bearing, isn't very strong. Not for the forces going on at the axle. As well as the fact that many people have had bolt hole alignment issues. Even though a drill would solve that.

Having something custom to aid in inhibiting axle wrap and lateral movement would be awesome. Custom though as well. Something like the two triangulated link bars of a 4-link setup. From the spring perches to near the center of the axle. Attached in a similar manner as the Caltracs.

There is a member on XRU and the FJ forums, FJLED, who has opened a bad ass custom fab shop, for extreme off-roadists, here in Houston. His FJ is ridiculously built. His fabricator, is who would be good to come up with the proper solution, in the available space constraints.

^^^ That last sentence is for Large.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:37 AM   #11
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Joined: Sep 2011, #63268
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,765
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
There is a member on XRU and the FJ forums, FJLED, who has opened a bad ass custom fab shop, for extreme off-roadists, here in Houston. His FJ is ridiculously built. His fabricator, is who would be good to come up with the proper solution, in the available space constraints.

^^^ That last sentence is for Large.
Where might the location of said bad ass custom fab shop here in Houston be located good sir ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #13
Senior Member
Voodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really nice
 
Voodoo Rufus's Avatar
Name: Jason
Joined: Jul 2009, #19255
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 283
Voodoo Rufus's Tacoma Gallery
Will the Caltracs work on a setup with a U-bolt flip kit?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #15
Member
TRON is on a distinguished road
 
TRON's Avatar
Joined: Mar 2009, #14317
Location: Boulder
Gender: Male
Posts: 80
TRON's Tacoma Gallery
^^^What exactly would be needed to build a custom adaption to the TR lowering kit and the caltracs?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #16
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Joined: Sep 2009, #22958
Location: Houston
Gender: Dude
Posts: 4,567
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Rufus View Post
Will the Caltracs work on a setup with a U-bolt flip kit?
I have a U-bolt flip kit, but it was something I pieced together. Which brand U-bolt flip kit do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRON View Post
^^^What exactly would be needed to build a custom adaption to the TR lowering kit and the caltracs?





Those are the Caltrac XR lowers, XR U-bolts, inch(?) longer trac bars, and 2-hole front perch brackets.

For your setup, you'd need to swap out the TR axle perch for the Caltrac one, or the one that Voodoo has, as well as add a block back under there, to get back to the height that the TR axle perch.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:50 PM   #19
Senior Member
WOODEX M.E. is on a distinguished road
 
WOODEX M.E.'s Avatar
Name: Corey
Joined: Nov 2012, #90445
Location: Maine
Gender: Male
Posts: 111
WOODEX M.E.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
I've done everything to solve the axle wrap & driveline vibes, shims, drops, spacers and a 1 piece shaft and nothing. I have found another member who has the same issue and swears up and down the trac bar 100% eliminated vibes and almost eliminated all axle wrap. I am going to buy an ATO one pretty soon, some welding required though.

http://www.armortechoffroad.com/2005...Set_p_344.html
Just installed a set of the Catracs and it completely eliminated the drive line vibrations.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:54 PM   #20
Sconnie
mudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
mudthedoor's Avatar
Name: Alex
Joined: Feb 2011, #50550
Location: Forestville, WI
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,198
mudthedoor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
I've done everything to solve the axle wrap & driveline vibes, shims, drops, spacers and a 1 piece shaft and nothing. I have found another member who has the same issue and swears up and down the trac bar 100% eliminated vibes and almost eliminated all axle wrap. I am going to buy an ATO one pretty soon, some welding required though.

http://www.armortechoffroad.com/2005...Set_p_344.html
http://www.4xinnovations.com/2005-20...-Set_p_35.html

Armortech is now owned by 4x and their traction bar for the second gens is completely bolt on.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BudBuilt traction bar vs. Others 747 1st Gen. Tacomas 14 04-16-2014 09:06 PM
Traction Bar Mod Auto Technical Chat 6 10-18-2011 05:59 PM
What are the 05 to 11 traction options northman 2nd Gen. Tacomas 6 10-11-2010 08:02 PM
X-runner traction bar YotaMan2007 Underdog Racing Development 1 08-03-2010 05:54 AM
WTB: URD Traction Bar ntinhri Buy / Sell / Trade 0 11-26-2008 05:18 AM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.