1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Supercharger regrets?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by rongeur, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Oct 16, 2013 at 12:43 PM
    PBR Streetgang

PBR Streetgang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Medford, OR
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC 4x4 TRD
    Icon stage 4 kit, Deaver J66 leaf springs, Firestone ride-rite airbags, Warn 9.5 XPS winch
    I don't remember where I found it, but the article I'm thinking of talked about a guy who put a s/c on his Tacoma and also upgraded the transmission from a company called Level 10 in New Jersey. Obviously there is some advertising interest for the transmission shop in an article like that, but it did seem like a good idea and it also sounded like a stock transmission with a s/c will wear out a lot sooner than normal, but it's hard to know how much of that is just hype and sales pitch.

2. Oct 16, 2013 at 5:08 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    Its only like 500 iirc for the valve body upgrade from level 10 or ipt.

Check over on xru

Toon did it for sure.

I talked to a tech and he said its expected to have trans issues on the blown tundra..... Isn't that sad?

3. Oct 18, 2013 at 11:05 AM
    B11

B11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    N.E. Wa.
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Off Road
    Is now SuperCharged
    Sometimes I think why did I spend so much $$$ on a brand new truck to only gain 75hp & 75tq but then I go test drive a stock Taco and I quickly remember why it was money well spent.

My only regret was NOT getting a new 2013 Tundra instead and putting the TRD SC on that. Holy Monkey Balls Batman, the 5.7 Tundra with a TRD SC on it flat gets with it and makes my 13 Taco with a SC feel like a Yugo.

4. Dec 20, 2013 at 7:16 AM
    bowhun2r

bowhun2r Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Steeler Nation
    Vehicle:
    19 - GX-460

I also have checked out IPT. Exchanged email with John at IPT a few months back about getting this done. Truck will take a week (removing VB, shipping VB, IPT work, shipping back, re-installing VB). I'll need to do that when I know I won't be traveling. John stated in his email to me 5 days to be safe. But it could be as short as 3 days.

In any case, I don't (or try not too) always slam the pedal down. I usually start off gradually and then let the RPM's crank up (your smile increases during this time). I'm already at or near the speed limit around here so I then just take the foot off the pedal. Less wear and tear on the components.

To answer the original question about regrets...It is expensive. MPG will suffer (it's hard not keeping out of the "whine"). The whine makes my wife always ask "what is that...?" (I have yet to tell her about my purchase..) But it is a blast. I test drove a new tacoma while mine was getting inspected and it's just not the same.

I like what another poster said about the Tundra. I would love that, but it wouldn't fit in the garage. I've seen videos of S/C Tundra's and that just isn't' right....

In the end it's really your decision and one that you will have to deal with all the pros/cons mentioned here.

I'm happy with my purchase and I enjoy the truck.

good luck

5. Dec 20, 2013 at 7:23 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    As MPG drops, SPG increases. :burnrubber:

(Smiles Per Gallon)

6. Dec 20, 2013 at 7:51 PM
    SDSam

SDSam from Dirt bike to Dezert Couch

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma prerunner
    Icon Shocks, BTF front, Deaver f67, 33's on stocks, Fiberwerxs 1pc, TDR S/C, Bed & Eng Caged
    Actually it does raise the trans temp but under extreme use conditions like hammering on it in the desert and dunes with paddles at least thats where i open it up! and i already have a larger than stock trans cooler but for my use i will be going with a remote cooler with a fan And i will be doing a shift kit on the tranny to increase oil flow and pressure..

there is my only con about the S/C and I'm sure it will take its toll on the motor sooner than later. but would i give it up? No! its a blast to have it on there.

Im the second tacoma going up.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMmaexz5Alw&feature=share&list=FLLjhSO18TbSuVx8Lsi6WzXA

for street driving i doubt any of my issues apply, maybe towing?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  7. Dec 20, 2013 at 7:52 PM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    OK, so my 07 taco just hit 75k and I got the SC installed today. Only driven it for 30 miles for a test run early this evening. But super impressed so far. It is like having a brand new truck. Literally, a new truck feel. Totally different "feel". And it is a good feeling!!!

Honestly I think the best "bang for your buck" is the TRD exhaust. Certainly I would highly recommend it when doing the SC if you still have stock exhaust. But maybe do it first, only $500 and gets you something you'll probably enjoy whether you decide on the SC.

Anyway, I had added about 1400lbs of upgrades onto my truck, it now weighs in at right about 5000lbs curb weight before add ing the SC. So, I needed the extra hp.

In my case cost was not a consideration really, $5k is not a lot of money compared to the cost of buying a new truck. And I like my truck. And I have so much invested in it we're stuck with each other anyway, haha.

And super unleaded is about 20 cents more per gallon in my area. So, that's about $4 more a fill-up. So, for me that is probably around an extra $25-$30 a month. No biggie. And I have run super for years anyway so I'll never notice the difference anyway... I long ago found my mileage running 91 was slightly higher and the hp gain and overall engine smoothness was worth the negligible cost savings.

Hope that helps.

8. Dec 20, 2013 at 8:01 PM
    SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD
    Still funny how many people think a SC will gain them MPG...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Dec 20, 2013 at 10:58 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish

Congrats!

10. Dec 20, 2013 at 11:00 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish

I think its funny how many ppl think the blower drops mpg.....

Its all in ur foot.

11. Dec 20, 2013 at 11:14 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    Hey OP, it sounds like you HATE your decision so I'll tell you what, I will gladly take that blower off your hands and put some money back into your pocket. What do ya say? :)

12. Dec 21, 2013 at 6:56 AM
    KingKoda

KingKoda Never Satisfied

Member:
    Palmetto
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD.S DCSB 4x4
    Boosted TRD/URD All Terrain Sleeper w/ Sockmonkey Decals Worth +666HP
    No regrets getting the S/C and other mods installed. Most was done upfront with large down payment and worked into financing. Well. I do sometimes regret not getting a raptor or boosting a tundra but I really wanted a solid truck that would fit in the garage. Had an f150 and had to move it a lot in the driveway to get the other cars around as the garage is side pull in. The Tacoma is a solid truck and has the extra oomph to satisfy my right foot needs. I'd buy the S/C again and mine is warrantied by Toyota until 85000 miles. Was told if I don't use the extra warranty i get the money back less $100.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  13. Dec 21, 2013 at 4:27 PM
    mountainwolfpup

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    Thanks Justus, I appreciate the kind words. I am obviously pretty happy :D :D :D :D :D :D

The SC really completes my long strategic plan to outfit this truck for my personal tastes. It is now complete. Originally the SC had never been in my plans at all, but unfortunately 1/8" steel bumpers front and rear, a winch, fiberglass cap, roof racks, and all my trail gear and supplies are weighing me down, making my Taco as sheepish as the ole '88 22RE I had so long ago.

This really "wakes up" the truck. It is freakishly responsive! I am liking out-powering F150s on my freeway onramps way too much!!!

14. Dec 21, 2013 at 4:31 PM
    mountainwolfpup

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    Sorry 12TRDTacoma :( :( :( :( :( You'll have to scavenge elsewhere for a hand-me-down SC...

The OP has NOT YET purchased an SC, reread the original post: "I've been seriously considering a supercharger..."

But I agree OP sounds pretty against the idea. Maybe he wants us to talk him out of this big ticket purchase???

15. Dec 21, 2013 at 4:37 PM
    mountainwolfpup

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    Hey SoCaltaco65, Did I mention that my SC improved my MPG so much that I actually never need to fill up. Amazing but true, I have had the SC on my truck for about 24hrs now and have not needed to buy gas. It's incredible!!! And I know that I'll get 70hp and better MPG, and my truck will do my laundry and sing me a bedtime song... we'll at least it does do that last part -I dig the sound of forced induction, yah.

Anyway, being realistic I guess I expect a 1-5 MPG drop from the SC. I don't plan on being light footed with mine. Needed the HP and willing to pay "the piper". Woohoo!!!

16. Dec 21, 2013 at 6:07 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    ah crap. And here I was thinking he had one. Lol It was late and I was already half asleep when I wrote. Fail on Mu part :(

Products Discussed in

To Top