Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

DougThorleyHeaders install HowTo 13 toyota tacoma

Old 10-18-2013, 07:54 AM   #21
TripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: They keep callin me cowboy but its not my name...
Location: Socal but I am still a Southern Florida guy at heart
TripleThreat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiManKolt View Post
I just went back through your pictures and realized that you have a small tube at the top of the header. I know for a fact mind didnt have that lol.

I also followed the link and thought it was kind of interesting that the only place it says Doug Thorley is talking about the Warranty and in the description. They don't mention it at all in the title.

I didn't see a build thread or anything. Do you have intake, exhaust, y-pipe and/or URD MAF Controller? The URD MAF controller is what I need next. So far I am happy without doing a y-pipe.
Pm sent.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #22
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleThreat View Post
The O2 tube is what I was unaware of
apprently 08s and probably other years don't have it.
To be more clear than my previous statement, the '05-'11 headers are all bolt-up the same. No O2 tube.

The OEM headers changed in '09 from a log style to more of a "swept back individual primary header" than the '05-'08.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #23
TripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
To be more clear than my previous statement, the '05-'11 headers are all bolt-up the same. No O2 tube.

The OEM headers changed in '09 from a log style to more of a "swept back individual primary header" than the '05-'08.
Intresting I am wondering why they did that but can't find anything online.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #25

Quote:
The change to the O2 tube?
Yes
Old 10-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #27
Adam T is on a distinguished road

Adam T's Tacoma Gallery
What type of hp gain are you getting from this? Just wondering
Old 10-18-2013, 05:12 PM   #28
BLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Veteran
Name: Keith
BLOODYMARY's Tacoma Gallery
Sound clip?
Old 10-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOODYMARY View Post
Sound clip?
If you look at the thread theres a video at the bottom Bloodmary!'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam T View Post
What type of hp gain are you getting from this? Just wondering
Not sure ill check my dynos before and after to see if there was a distinct difference.
I would like to say that when it comes to exhaust you have to include that intake and exhaust is better to increase horsepower and a tune would also be needed like a MAF calibrator would be a good alternative to a Tune. Think of the engine like a big air pump and when you increase airflow to the end of the pump it won't do anything inless you increase the air going in. Cats restrict the exhaust but also filter the bad chemicals from the exhaust.
The long tubes delete 2 cats from 2005+ tacomas then you can delete the other two by getting a y pipe or a custom exhaust like I did. This changes the sound but it also makes my exhaust toxic in my opinion haha but I accept that and I love to see the prius drivers next to me I even get some dark smoke coming out when I get it above 3000 rpms!! so they pretty much die from horror now
Old 10-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #30
SpaceBalls is on a distinguished road
SpaceBalls's Tacoma Gallery

I

I also have the dt y pipe and I'm toxic as well
Old 10-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBalls View Post

I

I also have the dt y pipe and I'm toxic as well
Do you blow some black smoke when you start up and when you hit 3000+ RPMs? I had no idea it would do that I feel like a diesel truck driver haha
Old 10-20-2013, 08:34 AM   #32
No. I never blow any black smoke! You must be burning some oil. Do you have an oil catch can?
How many kms do you have? I'm just over 100,000.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:35 AM   #33
Old 10-20-2013, 08:49 AM   #34

Quote:
No. I never blow any black smoke! You must be burning some oil. Do you have an oil catch can?
No i'm not burning any oil I have a new tacoma and no cats its blowing smog you can see like a mist of black when I nail the gas it cakes my exhaust tubes in black haha its awesome but I went for proformance and offroading with my truck its not running rich or anything buts the exhaust is pretty much toxic. I do have a catch can heres my catch can:
Old 10-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #35
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do you blow some black smoke when you start up and when you hit 3000+ RPMs? I had no idea it would do that I feel like a diesel truck driver haha
Judging by what you stated, it only happens for a brief period after start-up. Is that correct?

If so, then it is due the the EGR system. It hasn't reached a preset temperature for shut off, as well as the fact that mid RPMRoman are reached and not WOT. Thus exhaust is getting burnt twice, and you have your soot.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #36
wth is a junior member?
Vigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant future

Name: Ryan
Vigo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What y pipe is that?

Edited, disregard, read post above. Didn't know they made one.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #37
wth is a junior member?
Vigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant future

Name: Ryan
Vigo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No i'm not burning any oil I have a new tacoma and no cats its blowing smog you can see like a mist of black when I nail the gas it cakes my exhaust tubes in black haha its awesome but I went for proformance and offroading with my truck its not running rich or anything buts the exhaust is pretty much toxic. I do have a catch can heres my catch can:
I do believe that the catch can needs to sit upright, to collect all the oil/sludge at the bottom, depending on the design, it might just be sucking all the oil right back in.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
I do believe that the catch can needs to sit upright, to collect all the oil/sludge at the bottom, depending on the design, it might just be sucking all the oil right back in.
That was just for the install its sitting up rightish but the way its designed it won't matter I already looked at it. Thanks though

Quote:
Judging by what you stated, it only happens for a brief period after start-up. Is that correct?

If so, then it is due the the EGR system. It hasn't reached a preset temperature for shut off, as well as the fact that mid RPMRoman are reached and not WOT. Thus exhaust is getting burnt twice, and you have your soot.
That is correct when I first start it theres some then but it goes away after a minute or two I can rev it when I start it and produce plenty haha
Old 10-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #39
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oil would be bluish gray..... Black is fuel.

He is running rich and a catch can will do nothing for him. These trucks run rich bone stock even. Its a safety thing. Slightly rich is safer than lean.

According to my Afr gauge I still run rich with the blower and all bolt ons. I'm fine with it as it leaves headroom for a pulley.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:36 PM   #40
808bige is a splendid one to behold808bige is a splendid one to behold808bige is a splendid one to behold808bige is a splendid one to behold808bige is a splendid one to behold808bige is a splendid one to behold808bige is a splendid one to behold808bige is a splendid one to behold
Name: Eric
808bige's Tacoma Gallery
Yo man. sweet write-up. Just what I was looking for, thanks for taking the time. I was thinking of dropping in some DTLT's as well. So these do in fact drop out the front two cats? Also those studs you were talking about, you mean the ones connecting the header to the block yea? and damn, since I got a '13 as well i guess I'll have to deal with that PITA air tube as well huh?