LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

DougThorleyHeaders install HowTo 13 toyota tacoma

Old 10-16-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
TripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: They keep callin me cowboy but its not my name...
TripleThreat's Tacoma Gallery
Post DougThorleyHeaders install HowTo 13 toyota tacoma

Alright Howdy partners this is TripleThreat I lost my camera and I had picks of alot of my modds and maintenance but I found it my cat had it?? (Cat Bed)
  • Items:
  • -Doug Thorley Long Tube headers Part#: THY-517-LS-C
  • -URD Rear O2 Simulator, 1GR-FE 4.0L V6 Dual Channel
  • -This allows you to run all the performance parts above without your Check Engine Light turning on.
  • Tools:
  • -12 Pack of Beer for breaks and frustration
  • -6x M8-1.25 x 30 double ended studs for the bottom cylinders (Bought From AdvAutoParts and it comes with the nuts)
  • -4mm, 6mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm deep well socket wrench
  • -deep well socket wrenchs in general recommended
  • -13mm, 14mm, 12mm, open end wrench
  • -Red or blue Lock Tight
  • -Patients of a saint

Anyways! Heres my Doug Thorley Long Tube install. Ignore the safety hazards I took the pictures inbetween transition from phase to phase so the static jacks were removed already
I am just sharing this to help others heres an install on a 2013 toyota tacoma TRD!

First the Cat back

The Y pipe was next I was surprised this only took me 20 minutes to do by myself

The Doug thorley Long tubes dont come with studs so I had to improvise also i'd like to note Gadget ordered me some studs and sent them I switched them out later he was very helpful @ URDusa

Alright now to remove the stock headers

Header removed notice the O2 line its brass looking pipe infront of the cylinder its a pain in the but through out the install

Yay sunshine!

Now take out the O2 sensors from the old headers or leave them in if you bought URD O2 sensors

Now I prepped the "O2 bunge" on the new doug thorley headers with lock tight RED (I know I should have used blue but I won't be taking these out) and get ready to put them in.

Heres the right long tube header

Locate the O2 plug before header install for the O2 sensor it tends to move!

I went from the bottom of the truck to get the header in heres a pic

First Stud made for the bottom set just to repeat myself the stock studs will not work for the new headers. The Nuts on the stock studs won't go anywhere near the new ones.

Choose your O2 sensor spot before install it makes this unnecessary and the plugs go in the O2 sensor spots you don't use

I used the bottom O2 sensor location and I suggest you do the same once you have the O2 sensor extension:

URD O2 Sensor extension

Get your crush gaskets that comes with your doug thorley headers

Put them on the Y pipe or other pipe and the bolts

Attach your header to your Y pipe or Other

Hook up the O2 Bunge / tube to the new headers once both are installed

Finished product (19 hours total time)

This video is only for the sound don't expect much else except the amazing exhaust
Old 10-17-2013, 03:35 AM   #2
Gadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gadget@URD's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice!!

G
Old 10-17-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
TripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget@URD View Post
Very nice!!

G
Gadget I didn't know you were on tacoma world! Glad I did'nt complain
Old 10-17-2013, 07:39 AM   #4
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
19 hours, holy cow man!
That time included some beers while sitting on your butt admiring your shiny new headers right?
Old 10-17-2013, 07:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Salty View Post
19 hours, holy cow man!
That time included some beers while sitting on your butt admiring your shiny new headers right?
I took 15 minute breaks several times and there was multiple kinds of beer involved I have updated my tools required just for you. Also it was 12 hours I have updated it since the hours waiting for parts/tools should'nt count. But it took 19 hours cause we started on saturday and didn't get done untill sunday cause the only way to get to the parts store was the truck we were working on Thank goodness for neighbors!
Old 10-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #6
CWG is on a distinguished road

CWG's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write-up. My favorite pic is the bloody thumb. That looks like my hands every time I work on the Taco.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:59 AM   #7
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleThreat View Post
I took 15 minute breaks several times and there was multiple kinds of beer involved I have updated my tools required just for you. Also it was 12 hours I have updated it since the hours waiting for parts/tools should'nt count. But it took 19 hours cause we started on saturday and didn't get done untill sunday cause the only way to get to the parts store was the truck we were working on Thank goodness for neighbors!
Well makes perfect sense.

Couldn't agree more about your neighbor comment, I have a couple of them who have saved my ass several times with the correct tool for the job.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWG View Post
Nice write-up. My favorite pic is the bloody thumb. That looks like my hands every time I work on the Taco.
Yeah I wore gloves but would'nt you know it the second I take it off everything is trying to kill me I was lucky to escape with just a couple of cuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Salty View Post
Well makes perfect sense.

Couldn't agree more about your neighbor comment, I have a couple of them who have saved my ass several times with the correct tool for the job.
Yeah I need the extra jack stand and one static stand to do the job and I had to run to the adv parts store and grab some tools multiple times yay for friendly country neighbors. Glad you agree partner!
Old 10-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #9
PepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Aerial Porter
Name: Kolt
PepsiManKolt's Tacoma Gallery
I just wanted to let you guys know that I just installed a set of DT LT headers in my truck today. It got some pointers from your thread but it only took me about 4-4.5hrs to do it.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiManKolt View Post
I just wanted to let you guys know that I just installed a set of DT LT headers in my truck today. It got some pointers from your thread but it only took me about 4-4.5hrs to do it.
Glad the thread helped. Also it took me all day lol but I was missing tools like the stud remover, the bottom bolts I did'nt know I needed, I also removed a good portion of parts above the right header so I could tighten the studs on the header, the O2 bung/tube was the hardest thing to reach and beer run costs some time.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #11
PepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleThreat View Post
Glad the thread helped. Also it took me all day lol but I was missing tools like the stud remover, the bottom bolts I did'nt know I needed, I also removed a good portion of parts above the right header so I could tighten the studs on the header, the O2 bung/tube was the hardest thing to reach and beer run costs some time.

Lol I actually just got some replacement bolts rather than removing the OEM studs and tried my best to just go around the mess. I installed the O2 sensors before I put the new headers in so I just had to plug in the wiring harness. The only hickups I ran into were an OEM stud that was stuck so bad that I had to cut it out and trying to get the driver side wiring plug back in. Also I didn't even remove the y-pipe all the way. I just disconnected it from both ends and let it hang.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Lol I actually just got some replacement bolts rather than removing the OEM studs and tried my best to just go around the mess. I installed the O2 sensors before I put the new headers in so I just had to plug in the wiring harness. The only hickups I ran into were an OEM stud that was stuck so bad that I had to cut it out and trying to get the driver side wiring plug back in. Also I didn't even remove the y-pipe all the way. I just disconnected it from both ends and let it hang.
I took mine out completely for the extra room so that took some time I can say. I was talking in reference to the O2 tube its above the cylinders on the headers and when you bolt in the headers to the engine block theres that tube on it this is the O2 tube that was a pain because its hard to get that nut tighted on the O2 tube:
Old 10-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #13
Hmm... Thats weird. I don't remember ever removing, installing or even seeing anything that looks like that on my truck. I will have to look again in the morning when its actually light out.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Hmm... Thats weird. I don't remember ever removing, installing or even seeing anything that looks like that on my truck. I will have to look again in the morning when its actually light out.
Attached Thumbnails
DougThorleyHeaders install HowTo 13 toyota tacoma-suprised_cat_is_suprised_by_bon243-d36w4yq.jpg   DougThorleyHeaders install HowTo 13 toyota tacoma-suprised-cat.jpeg  
Old 10-18-2013, 07:23 AM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
You have an '08. Yours doesn't have that.
That makes sense. That is kind of what I was thinking. Is it a 09+ thing or a 12+ thing
Old 10-18-2013, 07:41 AM   #17

Quote:
That makes sense. That is kind of what I was thinking. Is it a 09+ thing or a 12+ thing
Intresting this is why I joined the forums its nice to learn about this stuff I had a 2007 toyota tacoma and I had no idea it does'nt have this 02 tube above the cylinder.

I went back to URDusa and the long tube headers are specifically for 2012+
So I can see why there might be diffrences, you learn something everyday!
THY-517-LS-C, Long Tube Header, 2012+ Tacoma V6 ONLY
http://urdusa.com/Exhaust-&-Headers-...duct_info.html
Old 10-18-2013, 07:48 AM   #19

02 tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
^^^^ Like he said. '05-'11, then '12+.

ECU connectors changed in '09.
The O2 tube is what I was unaware of
apprently 08s and probably other years don't have it.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #20
I just went back through your pictures and realized that you have a small tube at the top of the header. I know for a fact mind didnt have that lol.

I also followed the link and thought it was kind of interesting that the only place it says Doug Thorley is talking about the Warranty and in the description. They don't mention it at all in the title.

I didn't see a build thread or anything. Do you have intake, exhaust, y-pipe and/or URD MAF Controller? The URD MAF controller is what I need next. So far I am happy without doing a y-pipe.

Products Discussed in this Thread