1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best cai to go with s/c

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by cdelgado14, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Oct 18, 2013 at 10:28 AM
    cdelgado14

cdelgado14 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Alice,Texas
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged micro machine ;)
    Bilstein 3 inch w/ 5100's
    I have a s/c for my double cab 2012 taco.was wondering which cai would be the best combination for me.was considering urd & volant.any suggestions?

2. Oct 18, 2013 at 2:00 PM
    Commanderwiggin

Commanderwiggin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma D/C 4x4 TRD Sport 6MT Supercharged
  3. Oct 18, 2013 at 7:09 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    AFE stage 2 Si or the older TRD intake made by AFE..... its got a silver aluminum top.
    You DO NOT want the newer TRD intake thats made with a black plastic top, it is designed off of the 4runner/fj oem intake and causes MAF errors on the tacoma causing it to run lean, even on n/a tacomas.

URD may sound great and deliver colder air when at an idle, but as soon as u drive around 35mph the stock intake and the AFE stage 2Si will be drawing ambient temp air just like the URD.

The problems with the URD are........ u need to do some customizing of the mounts and grill for it to work with the TRD superchargers intercooler, u cant use drive thru car washes, u have to cover the element if u have a stick shift and mesh grille, u cannot do deep water crossing due to the exposed filter, you may also get water droplets past the filter element that will hit your MAF sensor and cause the truck to stumble (n/a or force fed, Ive dealt with it myself)... usually with moderate rain, a mesh grille, and on the gas passing, or getting on the freeway...... I also was worried everytime I was about to pass a rig in the rain because of the water they kick up. U can get a hydrophobic sock for the URD filter but it does affect performance and is a PITA if u plan to only run it when it rains..... the steel splash shield offered will NOT keep water off the element.... I had the filter suck rain drops in while running the steel shield, and it caused the truck to stumble.... not safe/fun when u need to merge on the freeway.

Volant have been known to cause check engine lights on n/a trucks....... Im not sure about force fed trucks tho.
    Even then its a toss up, some have problems, and some dont.

I dont remember any complaints with the AFE stage 2 Si, or the older TRD.

have u tried another intake that works with the blower?

plenty of happy users and dyno charts on xru

4. Oct 18, 2013 at 7:10 PM
    Tacomamba

Tacomamba Well-Known Member

Member:
    albq
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja Edition Black
    Supercharger Roof rack Tube step Entune Tailgate mod ATC Camper OE Skid Plate K/N filter don't need anything else
    Leave it stock. It's not a sports car

5. Oct 18, 2013 at 7:17 PM
    TripleThreat

TripleThreat Vance@freevancewriting.com

Member:
    First Name:
    They keep callin me cowboy but its not my name...
    Socal but I am still a southern Florida guy
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma 4x4 slightly modified
    nothing special.... wanna race?
    To each his own I applaud you with what ever you decide because its your truck and you can do whatever you want with it. If you want a cold air intake then go get one cdelgado :D

6. Oct 18, 2013 at 7:21 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish
    A: thats not what hes asking for
    B: the TRD catback isnt stock, its an add on, so clearly u are into performance and aftermarket parts according to

The stock setup does draw cool air, but the box itself is restrictive.... Gadget has been on the dyno with stock, stock with no filter, stock with no filter, and the charcoal filter also removed.... zero gains.
    Complete new intake..............Gains.

the oem stock housing is built like most other vehicles today, to reduce the amount of engine noise coming into the cabin and they use baffles/silencers/ strange compartments in the air box and piping to quiet things down..... It does hinder performance.... If someone is dropping $4k on a blower, why not help them get the most out of it?

EDIT:
    Ur details say u have a blower...... :facepalm:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  7. Oct 18, 2013 at 7:22 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish
    well said :cheers:

8. Oct 18, 2013 at 7:34 PM
    GREEKBOY12295

GREEKBOY12295 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner
    Radflo 2.5 Coilovers, Viper Alarm 5902, Bilstein 5100's, Polk Speakers, Blacked out grille and Emblems, All Pro 3" leafs, Pioneer AVH-4300 Double Din, BHLM, 4" Maxtrac Spindle, Aero Turbine 2525xl, Ultra Gauge, Rockford Fosgate 300 mono amp, 10" Kicker CVR
    I have the Afe stage 2 si. Solid intake!

9. Oct 19, 2013 at 8:35 AM
    1strongone1

1strongone1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport Supercharged
    Lifted, 33's, Supercharged, Volant Ram air CAI, Walbro fuel pump, 2.85 pulley, TRD exhaust, Bully Dog GT-T
    I have the Volant with the scoop and the air temp measured going into the engine is around 4 degrees warmer than the air temp outside ( measured by Bully Dog GT-T). So it does work well at bringing cooler air into your engine.

10. Oct 19, 2013 at 9:52 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish
    I can pull ambient temps at 35mph roughly with the stock setup, urd, or afe..... Keyword is stock.
    If I can pull ambient temps bone stock, then the factory setup is perfectly fine as far as cool air.

11. Oct 19, 2013 at 8:07 PM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    I actually got mine for looks. I hated the stock airbox and wanted to clean up the engine bay and showcase that kick ass looking s/c. That being said, I got a noticeable difference in throttle response down low and the s/c is louder now which is also a bonus IMO. I say do it!

IMAG1438_e3e201df22e98b596344421e34ff64322ebe8715.jpg

12. Oct 19, 2013 at 8:22 PM
    Gadget@URD

Gadget@URD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Southern Maryland USA
    Vehicle:
    URD Supercharged XRunner
    URD has the URD TCAI and aFe intakes in stock that will fit your 2012+ Tacoma V6.

G

13. Oct 21, 2013 at 10:34 AM
    1strongone1

1strongone1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport Supercharged
    Lifted, 33's, Supercharged, Volant Ram air CAI, Walbro fuel pump, 2.85 pulley, TRD exhaust, Bully Dog GT-T
    I was stating temps at idle, not moving.

14. Oct 21, 2013 at 3:09 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish
    Ok, I wasn't aware of that, thanks for clarification.
    I remember the urd pulling fairly cool temps at idle as well.
    Once moving, many intakes become equal as far as iat.

15. Oct 21, 2013 at 11:08 PM
    cdelgado14

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Alice,Texas
    Vehicle:
    Afe it is.Thanks Justus u really said it well.

On another note.i would like to hear what you guys think of combining the afe with the 1.upgraded URD fuel pump 2.exhaust(still doing hw on exhaust.im like the sound of the banks exhaust but I want it to come together like a puzzle in the end.and get the most out of my blower!)3.URD 2.8" stealth pulley

16. Oct 22, 2013 at 12:02 AM
    cdelgado14

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Alice,Texas
    Vehicle:
    What is the difference between "afe stage 2si ProDryS" and the "afe stage 2si Pro5R"?which would be best for the blower?

17. Oct 22, 2013 at 12:11 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish
    happy to help.

def go with the URD fuel pump..... its a nice safety net, and this way u also have an external filter that takes seconds to change.

as for exhaust, I am running the URD mk2......... I had to get it modified to fit with my spare tire. Theres a small handful of us who had that issue. YYMV however and u may have no fitment problems at all. Like I said theres only a small handful of us that I know of. Id suggest using the clamps until you can get the connections welded.

As for the pulley, Id do the fuel pump first, AND get a wideband AFR setup so you dont grenade the engine.

Then yes, Id go for the pulley. Make sure to either buy the install tool Gadget has on URD's website, or find another tool thats compatable. IIRC U want a 5 ton 3 jaw puller to take the old pulley off too.

Ultimately, exhaust will have to be decided with ur own ears. Id suggest looking for members in ur area with a setup u are considering. Keep in mind that when I had my exhaust setup (and many others will agree), with longtube headers, urd y pipe, and the MK2 exhaust, WITHOUT a blower, it was very very raspy.

After the supercharger install, the sound inside is much better and I love it.

Its a subjective thing, and only u can decide what sound you like best.

If ur just going for a muffler swap for now, head to a reputable muffler shop..... tell the tech what ur looking for in terms of sound. Rasp/deep sound/quiet/insanely loud.......... and ask him if he would be willing to temporarily clamp 4 mufflers that he thinks would satisfy your needs to your stock piping (cutout ur old muffler), then let you start the truck, throw a couple revs, and maybe hold it at 2k RPM. I dont know if holding it at 2K RPM will provide any droning since the engine is not under load tho :(

that is what my tech did for me.... ask him NOT to tell you what muffler is going to go on the truck each time he swaps... When u shut the truck off, just tell him "I like that one" or "I dont like that one".......... have him set the ones u like aside.... use your ears to find the sound you like without having any bias towards this brand or that brand.

I have heard many times the flowmaster and other chambered mufflers are hp killers for our trucks.... Personally I had a 40 series, and it droned badly on the highway, and rusted from the inside out very quickly.

Happy hunting!

18. Oct 22, 2013 at 12:13 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish
    the pro dry -S is a synthetic media filter that uses NO OIL, but is still washable.

the Pro5R requires the filter to be oiled like a k&n....... for my own reasons, I run the pro dry S, because oiled filters may get oil on the MAF sensor and cause issues, as well as MAYBE attract more crap to build up on the throttle body.

Either way, keep an eye on ur MAF sensor and throttle body plate and clean as needed

19. Oct 22, 2013 at 12:16 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish
  20. Oct 22, 2013 at 4:02 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Damn son! That was one heck of a post! :wave:

What is "YYMV"?

Products Discussed in

To Top