1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Really Stupid Supercharger Questions

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Blake, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Oct 27, 2013 at 7:34 AM
    Blake

Blake [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2010 Doublecab TRD Offroad Supercharged
    OME Heavy Kit TRD Supercharger Borla Catback Exhaust
    I currently have another thread right now, and I am looking around for rebuild options. While looking, I came across something that kind of made me go "hmmm."

I have always been under the impression that other than taking it easy for the first 1000 miles or so, that there is really no maintenance to perform or anything special to do to the TRD superchargers other than occasionally replace the belts.

The first thing I saw that made me say "hmm", was a 1000 mile oil break in kit??? Never heard of that.

The second thing is reading about people changing the oil in their superchargers and doing maintenance at home. WTF??? I've never heard of that. I am religious about taking my car to the dealership for maintenance...is there anything they should have been doing (or I should have been doing) special along the way?

As I said previously, I had ZERO problems on my 01 Taco even with 286k miles on the odometer. And just to recap, the problem I am having right now on my 10 Taco is hearing a "rattle" sound toward the rear of the blower at low RPMs, and one of the pulleys has an ever so slight wobble to it. Other than that, it's driving fine, and the rattle goes away with minimal RPMs above idle.

Any additional insight or recommendations would be appreciated. I am now weighing purchasing a rebuilt supercharger vs. having this rebuilt vs. replacement with a new one.

Thanks again. This place is freaking awesome for all things Taco!

2. Oct 27, 2013 at 9:58 AM
    mike92y

mike92y Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OFF ROAD
    OME all around. SPC UCA. This and that.
    I heard or saw something about changing the oil in these and having to use a syringe to suck the the old oil out. Xrunner underground may be another resource for you. Those guys do alot of forced induction and are pretty helpful. I have an account over there as well. I have half assed researched this a while ago when I first supercharged my truck and did not find much. TRD parts for you has rebuld kits but I did not see anything for our supercharger.

www.xr-underground.com

Please let me know if you find anything out please.

3. Oct 27, 2013 at 3:44 PM
    Blake

Blake [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2010 Doublecab TRD Offroad Supercharged
    OME Heavy Kit TRD Supercharger Borla Catback Exhaust
    Also, aside from something catastrophic that is way too obvious to miss, how do you know when to repair/replace/rebuild a supercharger?

4. Oct 27, 2013 at 3:46 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    It's just general maintenance, the supercharger works just like the engine and needs the oil changed.

I'm sure people have different intervals, but there's probably a manual on it somewhere.

5. Oct 27, 2013 at 3:54 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    There's no reason you can't do your own maintenance as long as you know what you are doing. Toyota is not going to make any routine maintenance item so difficult that it can't be done with basic hand tools, or perhaps one or two inexpensive special tools. When a vehicle goes in for maintenance, they don't want it tying up a service bay for major surgery.

Nobody on this planet cares more about your truck than you do.

6. Oct 28, 2013 at 7:58 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []

Products Discussed in

To Top