Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Really Stupid Supercharger Questions

Old 10-27-2013, 07:34 AM   #1
Blake is on a distinguished road
Blake's Tacoma Gallery
Really Stupid Supercharger Questions

I currently have another thread right now, and I am looking around for rebuild options. While looking, I came across something that kind of made me go "hmmm."

I have always been under the impression that other than taking it easy for the first 1000 miles or so, that there is really no maintenance to perform or anything special to do to the TRD superchargers other than occasionally replace the belts.

The first thing I saw that made me say "hmm", was a 1000 mile oil break in kit??? Never heard of that.

The second thing is reading about people changing the oil in their superchargers and doing maintenance at home. WTF??? I've never heard of that. I am religious about taking my car to the dealership for maintenance...is there anything they should have been doing (or I should have been doing) special along the way?

As I said previously, I had ZERO problems on my 01 Taco even with 286k miles on the odometer. And just to recap, the problem I am having right now on my 10 Taco is hearing a "rattle" sound toward the rear of the blower at low RPMs, and one of the pulleys has an ever so slight wobble to it. Other than that, it's driving fine, and the rattle goes away with minimal RPMs above idle.

Any additional insight or recommendations would be appreciated. I am now weighing purchasing a rebuilt supercharger vs. having this rebuilt vs. replacement with a new one.

Thanks again. This place is freaking awesome for all things Taco!
Old 10-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
mike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant future
Army: SFC,  19 years, 5 to go.
Name: Michael
mike92y's Tacoma Gallery
I heard or saw something about changing the oil in these and having to use a syringe to suck the the old oil out. Xrunner underground may be another resource for you. Those guys do alot of forced induction and are pretty helpful. I have an account over there as well. I have half assed researched this a while ago when I first supercharged my truck and did not find much. TRD parts for you has rebuld kits but I did not see anything for our supercharger.

www.xr-underground.com

Please let me know if you find anything out please.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
Blake is on a distinguished road
Blake's Tacoma Gallery
Also, aside from something catastrophic that is way too obvious to miss, how do you know when to repair/replace/rebuild a supercharger?
Old 10-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Also, aside from something catastrophic that is way too obvious to miss, how do you know when to repair/replace/rebuild a supercharger?
It's just general maintenance, the supercharger works just like the engine and needs the oil changed.

I'm sure people have different intervals, but there's probably a manual on it somewhere.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
There's no reason you can't do your own maintenance as long as you know what you are doing. Toyota is not going to make any routine maintenance item so difficult that it can't be done with basic hand tools, or perhaps one or two inexpensive special tools. When a vehicle goes in for maintenance, they don't want it tying up a service bay for major surgery.

Nobody on this planet cares more about your truck than you do.