Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Dynomax or Magnaflow?

Old 11-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
MEMO CAMPOS is on a distinguished road

MEMO CAMPOS's Tacoma Gallery
Dynomax or Magnaflow?

Well guys I think the old syndrome hit me! I want my exhaust as quiet as possible, but I don't want to go back to stock. I'm trying to pick between the 24" magnaflow or the 20" dynomax super turbo. I'm wondering why the dynomax is so cheap and the mf is twice as much? Give me your thoughts please!!!
Old 11-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #2

Anybody have any input on this?
Old 11-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
PutterClutch
SconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
SconnieHailer's Tacoma Gallery
I've had the 24" magnaflow part number 12286 and really liked it for what it was. Had really good low end torque compared to the 18 inch magnaflow. You'd probably really like the 24" part number 12286. I have the 18" part number 12256 now and its a good bit louder but not obnoxious.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SconnieHailer View Post
I've had the 24" magnaflow part number 12286 and really liked it for what it was. Had really good low end torque compared to the 18 inch magnaflow. You'd probably really like the 24" part number 12286. I have the 18" part number 12256 now and its a good bit louder but not obnoxious.
Why did you switch to 18"? And did you notice your torque curve move up?
Old 11-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
PutterClutch
SconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I wanted something just a bit louder. Switching from the 24 to the 18, i noticed the torque down low moved up higher in the rpm range. I liked the power with the 24 much more but the 18 just sounds so nice.... Here's a vid of the 18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=E2q_-sugy1c
Old 11-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #6

Quote:
I wanted something just a bit louder. Switching from the 24 to the 18, i noticed the torque down low moved up higher in the rpm range. I liked the power with the 24 much more but the 18 just sounds so nice.... Here's a vid of the 18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=E2q_-sugy1c
Nice! Sounds so good, I wonder what would happen if I ran the 18" along with my current 14" magnapack?.....maybe my low end will stay but stay quite...or maybe run a 14" oval with the magnapack.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #8

Quote:
hard to tell. Definitely quiet down a bunch.
Hey did the 24" stay reliable? Just came across 2 guys on the internet that had bad luck with it. They mentioned that the inter core came undone and rattled horribly! Both owned a 2000 4 runner so maybe not a good muffler for those trucks?
Old 11-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #9
PutterClutch

Hmmm I've seen those reports too, but yea mine was great. Ran it really hard actually, for starters pulled a 5'x8' uhaul from WI to WY... Put at least 15k miles on it and offroaded it hard (lots of jarring and vibrations). It's still in my garage if you want it lol. Been toying with putting it back on for the low end torque I got with it...
Old 11-02-2013, 10:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Hmmm I've seen those reports too, but yea mine was great. Ran it really hard actually, for starters pulled a 5'x8' uhaul from WI to WY... Put at least 15k miles on it and offroaded it hard (lots of jarring and vibrations). It's still in my garage if you want it lol. Been toying with putting it back on for the low end torque I got with it...
Heck if your serious I'll take it off your hands! How much? It looks like yours is a good one! Lol compared to the other 2 mentioned.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #11

Finally got the 24" Magnaflow put on! Holy christ what a difference. The best way to describe it; feels like I shaved 1000 lbs! a lot more get up and go and finally got my low end pep back. What I did is keep the intermediate pipe at 2.5" and dumped the 3" tailpipe just after the axle. Overall its nice and quite but still has a subtle deep tone when under load.