Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

SuperCharger Boost Numbers..?

Old 11-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
...It Hurts when I Pee...
AWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: P.J.-SpecOPs
Name: Doc
AWF ROWD's Tacoma Gallery
SuperCharger Boost Numbers..?

What kind of PSI readings are you gettin' outta' your S/C..??!
I have the 4.0 S/C in a '13, and was getting 5-6ish readings off my AEM Digital gauge @ WOT....I put on the Stealth URD 2.8"pulley, and now bouncing around 8..(even saw 9 pop up a few times when the weather was cool).. curious if any of you have the 2.55"... and PSI #'s with it....
Old 11-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
Name: Brady
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUF ROWD View Post
What kind of PSI readings are you gettin' outta' your S/C..??!
I have the 4.0 S/C in a '13, and was getting 5-6ish readings off my AEM Digital gauge @ WOT....I put on the Stealth URD 2.8"pulley, and now bouncing around 8..(even saw 9 pop up a few times when the weather was cool).. curious if any of you have the 2.55"... and PSI #'s with it....
I don't have an S/C so I have no numbers to offer, but this is going to vary greatly depending on elevation as well.

Example from another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
The elevation has ALOT to do with it I can assure you of that. With the 2.8 pulley my truck peaked at 4 psi boost at 5500 feet. In Texas I saw it hit 8. In Minnesota here the highest I have seen is 7.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Brady

OP, tacomaworld isn't generally the place for real performance related questions. You're generally better of over at XRU. However, a few of us are boosted and have some knowledge on the subject. With the 2.55" pulley you will probably see numbers in the 12-13 range if you are seeing nearly 9 with the 2.8.

However, you can't just slap that pulley on there and hope for the best. There are a lot of things that will need to be done FIRST. If you haven't got a new fuel pump yet that would be step one. The Walbro 255 won't cut it, you'd need something bigger than that even. Youll need larger injectors... the stock TRD ones barely handle the 2.8. You will need advanced fuel management as the stock reflash won't handle the additional boost. At that point you'd be smart to consider some sort of engine building as well to support the additional power. Last but not least you will likely at the very least need the valve body upgrade for your transmission.

I may be forgetting something but I'd just like to point out that the jump from the 2.8" to the 2.5" is quite a big one, and you are assuming quite a bit more risk as well... I'm not saying don't do it, but just weigh all the costs involved.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
Name: Brady
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks Brady

OP, tacomaworld isn't generally the place for real performance related questions. You're generally better of over at XRU. However, a few of us are boosted and have some knowledge on the subject. With the 2.55" pulley you will probably see numbers in the 12-13 range if you are seeing nearly 9 with the 2.8.

However, you can't just slap that pulley on there and hope for the best. There are a lot of things that will need to be done FIRST. If you haven't got a new fuel pump yet that would be step one. The Walbro 255 won't cut it, you'd need something bigger than that even. Youll need larger injectors... the stock TRD ones barely handle the 2.8. You will need advanced fuel management as the stock reflash won't handle the additional boost. At that point you'd be smart to consider some sort of engine building as well to support the additional power. Last but not least you will likely at the very least need the valve body upgrade for your transmission.

I may be forgetting something but I'd just like to point out that the jump from the 2.8" to the 2.5" is quite a big one, and you are assuming quite a bit more risk as well... I'm not saying don't do it, but just weigh all the costs involved.
Didn't think to mention XRU. haha

I thought about mentioning getting forged pistons and rods, but I have no idea when you would start to approach that area, so I didn't want to say stuff I don't know. haha But after seeing you mention all that you have, I would say forged rods and pistons are a must at that point or you will blow your motor...
Old 11-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Here, I will put together a parts list right now for you to put it in perspective... Gimme just a few min.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
Vivid Illumination

PARTS LIST that will get the most out of your truck while still keeping it somewhat reliable:

Supercharger Pulley: $162
S/C Snout Cutter: $110
Y- pipe: $301-469
New Intake: $400
Headers: $500
Engine Management (URD or AEM): $1800
Hi-Flow injectors + Harnesses: $440
OR
7th Injector Kit: $580
New fuel pump: $150
Rods and Pistons aren't a terrible idea either: $1800
Valve Body Upgrade: $600

TOTAL: ~$6400

So as you can see there's a little bit to take on when it comes to switching down to the 2.55". If you are searching for just a bit more there are some people who have gotten away with going to the 2.7" with just the FPR mod over what you have now and are still on the TRD reflash. The mod helps maintain fuel pressure at all times.

The voice of reason tells me to tell you to bank that money and enjoy the truck for what it is. A FAST PICKUP. Take that money and put it towards a car that can actually utilize the power and put it to the ground, and as I am sure you have come to realize these trucks can't. I recently had the same thoughts as you, but after realizing all that goes into giving the truck maybe an extra 40 horse I decided it just wasn't worth it and I would turn my sights to a weekend warrior vehicle... Do what you will I just wanted to inform you.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #7
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
6.5 stock pulley, tried and true analog gauge.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #9
Vivid Illumination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
6.5 stock pulley, tried and true analog gauge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Always remeber, elevation and free flow from exhaust will affect the reading.
You shut your whore mouths I got this!

I knew you guys would be here, welcome! OP, anything that I don't know these two gentlemen can certainly fill in the blanks.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #14
AWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
PARTS LIST that will get the most out of your truck while still keeping it somewhat reliable:

Supercharger Pulley: $162
S/C Snout Cutter: $110
Y- pipe: $301-469
New Intake: $400
Headers: $500
Engine Management (URD or AEM): $1800
Hi-Flow injectors + Harnesses: $440
OR
7th Injector Kit: $580
New fuel pump: $150
Rods and Pistons aren't a terrible idea either: $1800
Valve Body Upgrade: $600

TOTAL: ~$6400

So as you can see there's a little bit to take on when it comes to switching down to the 2.55". If you are searching for just a bit more there are some people who have gotten away with going to the 2.7" with just the FPR mod over what you have now and are still on the TRD reflash. The mod helps maintain fuel pressure at all times.

The voice of reason tells me to tell you to bank that money and enjoy the truck for what it is. A FAST PICKUP. Take that money and put it towards a car that can actually utilize the power and put it to the ground, and as I am sure you have come to realize these trucks can't. I recently had the same thoughts as you, but after realizing all that goes into giving the truck maybe an extra 40 horse I decided it just wasn't worth it and I would turn my sights to a weekend warrior vehicle... Do what you will I just wanted to inform you.
Thanx Mammary for puttin' together the list...I'm obviously not gonna wrap that kinda' coin into those MOD's just to gain a coupla ponies in a pickup truck..just like seein' what the boys have done to max out their Taco's...stickin with the 2.85", TRD Cat Backs Walbro255, FPR, to get what I can outta' this puppy.....Now my Prius is a whole different ballgame....(48,at the wheels,,lookin' for 50..any ideas..?)
Old 11-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #17
TRON is on a distinguished road

TRON's Tacoma Gallery
Low elevation and stock exhaust starting with manifolds back; i guess that could happen 9 psi on 2.8 pulley... I assume you don't have the d-vvti engine and tvs trd blower cause you have the 2.8 pulley...

When does the d-vvti engine start for the tacoma trucks? 2015??
Old 11-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #18
Vivid Illumination

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRON View Post
Low elevation and stock exhaust starting with manifolds back; i guess that could happen 9 psi on 2.8 pulley... I assume you don't have the d-vvti engine and tvs trd blower cause you have the 2.8 pulley...

No one knows. And probably not.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRON View Post

4.0 TRD S/C comes with the 3" pulley..you can goes as small as that before having to do any Fuel rail and ECU Mods?(reflash), as you would with the 2.7"
and the 2.55"...With all my other mods, and the TRD cat back exhaust in right conditions I have flashed a 9 here and there,,,,more busy watching AFR gauge at WOT....!!
Old 11-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #20
TRON is on a distinguished road

TRON's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUF ROWD View Post
4.0 TRD S/C comes with the 3" pulley..you can goes as small as that before having to do any Fuel rail and ECU Mods?(reflash), as you would with the 2.7"
and the 2.55"...With all my other mods, and the TRD cat back exhaust in right conditions I have flashed a 9 here and there,,,,more busy watching AFR gauge at WOT....!!
TRD reflash + FPR mod can take the nst kit and 2.8 which has a higher ratio for more boost than the 2.7 apr pulley alone. This combo has been tested and driven harder than most could fathom.

9 psi seems high for the 2.8 alone; but looking at your mod list seems you only upgraded the catback, which the stock catback is the least restrictive of the 3 exhaust components so it may be possible... LIke Torspd was saying, more restrictive the exhaust, higher the psi for boost

you're right though, afr is very important; if you still have the stock exhaust mani's, where you tap the sensor in for readings?