Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Serial #'s on stock exhaust? Dealership trying to rip me off?

Old 11-11-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
Alekx is on a distinguished road
Alekx's Tacoma Gallery
Serial #'s on stock exhaust? Dealership trying to rip me off?

So I bought a new 2013 tacoma, picked it up thursday. I got them to add a trd exhaust and got it done today. When I went to pick it up the old exhaust wasnt in my truck box like I asked, so they took it back and put the exhaust in the back.

I examined it and notice the muffler was a little bent and the exhaust is in poorer condition than I thought my "new" exhaust would be. I started checking the stickers and they look pretty old but I did notice one says "black"

My question is did they give me a used exhaust instead of my new exhaust back? How can I tell?

Here are pics.

My thoughts; should the stamps be that worn already, the damage to muffle tip could be during removal or storing, not a big deal.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure why it says black, but a sticker on an exhaust is going to melt and bubble in seconds I imagine. The color of the steel would probably change quick also.

Some people go as far as to wipe all fingerprints off of a stainless exhaust before they start the vehicle because the heat reacts with oils on our skin that transfered onto the steel and it discolors with heat.

I see zero issues on resale of ur at ck exhaust if that's what ur worried about. Most ppl go back to stock if they are selling their truck, or they grow tired of their aftermarket products xhausts tone. Neither case would worry for 1 second I imagine about a small dent or a discover
Old 11-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Also 409 stainless can discolor without ever having the engine run iirc.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
Alekx's Tacoma Gallery
Also a dealer probably cleans parts before shelving them, so why would it be dirty if they switched for a higher km one, thank you my mind is eased.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #5

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alekx View Post
So I bought a new 2013 tacoma, picked it up thursday. I got them to add a trd exhaust and got it done today. When I went to pick it up the old exhaust wasnt in my truck box like I asked, so they took it back and put the exhaust in the back.

I examined it and notice the muffler was a little bent and the exhaust is in poorer condition than I thought my "new" exhaust would be. I started checking the stickers and they look pretty old but I did notice one says "black"

My question is did they give me a used exhaust instead of my new exhaust back? How can I tell?

Here are pics.

My thoughts; should the stamps be that worn already, the damage to muffle tip could be during removal or storing, not a big deal.

Quote:
Also a dealer probably cleans parts before shelving them, so why would it be dirty if they switched for a higher km one, thank you my mind is eased.
Ur OP leads me to believe those pics are of ur stock exhaust correct?
If so, why would a dealer shelf the old one?
I'd figure it would go into a recycle bin..... Then again I've never tried to buy any used parts from a dealership.

Maybe I'm reading ur post wrong.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
That looks like its pretty new. I don't see any carbon build up
Old 11-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #7

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrdSurgie View Post
That looks like its pretty new. I don't see any carbon build up
Right?
I only see normal discoloring nearest the y pipe which would get toasty quite fast due to the secondary or after cats (whatever u choose to call those two that are integrated into the y pipe).
Old 11-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Right?
I only see normal discoloring nearest the y pipe which would get toasty quite fast due to the secondary or after cats (whatever u choose to call those two that are integrated into the y pipe).
Yup.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #9
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
couple of minutes of engine running and they start to discolor, I was always amazed at how fast new racing headers took to discolor from heat..

looks pretty normal....
Old 11-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #10

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldegle2 View Post
couple of minutes of engine running and they start to discolor, I was always amazed at how fast new racing headers took to discolor from heat..

looks pretty normal....
Surprisingly my thorleys still look silver. And yes, I know they get very toasty sometimes.

I'll recheck them later and take a pic..... The mk2 catback is prolly new looking still too.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #11
Alekx's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you, took em too a car wash and pressure washed the exhaust, now its put away until i sell it or sell the truck and return to original.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:50 AM   #12
S1000RR will become famous soon enough
S1000RR's Tacoma Gallery
I think I put about 100 miles on mine before switching to my TRD and it looks nothing like yours. I still have my stickers and everything. Piping is still silver too.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:05 AM   #13
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thank you, took em too a car wash and pressure washed the exhaust, now its put away until i sell it or sell the truck and return to original.
You can fix that dent by taking a piece of smaller diameter tubing that fits inside loosely, inserting it, and then angling it to press against the bent spot.

Also save your stock exhaust just in case you ever want to go back. I did.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #14
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Ur OP leads me to believe those pics are of ur stock exhaust correct?
If so, why would a dealer shelf the old one?
I'd figure it would go into a recycle bin..... Then again I've never tried to buy any used parts from a dealership.

Maybe I'm reading ur post wrong.
Some dealerships have a parts stock of "new-old" parts. These are parts removed from a new vehicle due to a request for a change prior to delivery. They can't be sold as new, but a lot of dealerships retain these parts that are not asked to be given to the customer to use in case of emergencies. For example, you bring in your truck for service and the driver accidentally backs your truck too close to the wall, and damages your exhaust tips. Rather than replace that with a brand new, expensive exhaust, they install the "new-old" part. It is essentially new, but is not "out of the box" new. Don't misunderstand, when we did this before, we would let the customer know they were getting a new-old part. Essentially zero miles on the exhaust.