Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

URD Fuel Pump Kit Hard Start

Old 11-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
mike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant future
Army: SFC,  19 years, 5 to go.
Name: Michael
mike92y's Tacoma Gallery
URD Fuel Pump Kit Hard Start

I installed the URD Walbro 255 fuel pump kit this weekend. The truck takes 3 to 4 seconds of cranking before it starts now. Before the install it work start within 2 seconds of cranking. If I let the truck run for a little bit shut it off and immediately restart it the truck will start like it did before the fuel pump swap. I have had it running and have checks for leaks and everything seems fine but the truck cranks significantly longer before starting after the install. I am thinking a leak somewhere that is decompressing the fuel line, but I am not seeing any fuel dripping. Any ideas or similar issues from someone that has done this install? Thanks.
I will call URD Tuesday if I have time. Work is going to be a bitch this week.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
mike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant future
mike92y's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Sounds to me that you have a problem with the intank line. Either it is pinched/bent, not tightened properly, or split.

Has happened quite a few times during other people's installations.
Yea thats what Gadget said today when I called. The truck died just after leaving work today. I had a friend tow it back to where I work and will drop the tank and see whats up in the parking lot sometime soon. I have alot going on so it may be a day or two before it gets fixed. Gadget said the clamps sometimes cut into the hose inside the tank if they are to tight. It sucks because it now has 1/2 tank of gas. I am glad I did not fill it all the way up like I usually do.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #6
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
I have had somewhat the same issue. My line split at the pump and I had all kinds of issues .

I would say step one would be to have the line pressure tested during cranking both before and after the external filter in order to determine whether or not proper pressure is being maintained coming out of the tank and there is no blockage in that filter (shouldn't be but you never know). Then we can work from there. I have personally had this happen to me and had the truck completely ripped apart diagnosing the issue. I am more than happy to help you work through it.

I would also recheck the connections where the fuel lines meet the fuel rail. I had one on there a little janky when I did my S/C install and luckily caught it before I started everything up.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
mike92y's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
I have had somewhat the same issue. My line split at the pump and I had all kinds of issues .

I would say step one would be to have the line pressure tested during cranking both before and after the external filter in order to determine whether or not proper pressure is being maintained coming out of the tank and there is no blockage in that filter (shouldn't be but you never know). Then we can work from there. I have personally had this happen to me and had the truck completely ripped apart diagnosing the issue. I am more than happy to help you work through it.

I would also recheck the connections where the fuel lines meet the fuel rail. I had one on there a little janky when I did my S/C install and luckily caught it before I started everything up.
How long was the pump installed before the line split? Did you over tighten the clamps on the fuel pump?

How do you pressure test the lines?

Did you have a blockage in the fuel filter? That would be an easy fix.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #8
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike92y View Post
How long was the pump installed before the line split? Did you over tighten the clamps on the fuel pump?

How do you pressure test the lines?

Did you have a blockage in the fuel filter? That would be an easy fix.
Less than 2 months. I'm not certain the cause for sure, but it definitely could have been from me over tightening the clamps.

You will need to take it to a shop and they will disconnect the lines and plug them into a gauge and crank the engine. It will tell them the pressure being produced by the pump.

I did not have a blockage at the filter, but its worth checking if the tank side of the filter shows good pressure.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #9
mike92y's Tacoma Gallery
Fixed. Intake line hose clamp was loose. My fault. If anyone in the Phoenix plans to do this mod PM me and I will help. I have dropping the tank down to science now.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #10
Vivid Illumination

Quote:
Fixed. Intake line hose clamp was loose. My fault. If anyone in the Phoenix plans to do this mod PM me and I will help. I have dropping the tank down to science now.
Glad you got it ironed out
Old 11-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #11
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm about 3 weeks away from installing, im in Tempe!
Old 11-16-2013, 06:24 PM   #12
mike92y's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
I'm about 3 weeks away from installing, im in Tempe!
I am in Gilbert. I will PM you my Phone # and address. Come over to my place and we will get her done. I have a tranny jack that will help with removal and install. I also have a tool for removal of the big plastic ring on top of the tank. Should only take 2 hours or less to get it done.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #13
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Awesome I would really appreciate that especially since you have hands on experience doing it!
Old 11-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #14
mike92y's Tacoma Gallery
Glad to help. Try to have your fuel level low when we do the install.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #15
Lol 21 gallons of fuel to lower, doesn't sound fun. I'll make sure it's close to E
Old 11-18-2013, 04:40 AM   #19
PMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PMK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
I don't have a picture, but the cap which the lines on the outside of the tank attach to, are molded.
Thanks.

So for my add on fuel filter, I'll plan to use the oem fuel lines, mount the filter, then build the line from the filter to the oem chassis tube as quick disconnect.

As you mentioned to me before, I should still drop the tank and remove the oem filter.

Consider too, this is not to increase performance, rather obtain better maintenance serviceability.

PK
Old 11-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #20
mike92y's Tacoma Gallery
I want to say the stock filter and pump are one unit. So you will need to change the pump if you want a filter outside the tank. Someone correct me if I am wrong.