1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

URD Fuel Pump Kit Hard Start

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by mike92y, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Nov 11, 2013 at 3:07 PM
    mike92y

mike92y [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OFF ROAD
    OME all around. SPC UCA. This and that.
    I installed the URD Walbro 255 fuel pump kit this weekend. The truck takes 3 to 4 seconds of cranking before it starts now. Before the install it work start within 2 seconds of cranking. If I let the truck run for a little bit shut it off and immediately restart it the truck will start like it did before the fuel pump swap. I have had it running and have checks for leaks and everything seems fine but the truck cranks significantly longer before starting after the install. I am thinking a leak somewhere that is decompressing the fuel line, but I am not seeing any fuel dripping. Any ideas or similar issues from someone that has done this install? Thanks.
    I will call URD Tuesday if I have time. Work is going to be a bitch this week.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  2. Nov 12, 2013 at 10:32 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Sounds to me that you have a problem with the intank line. Either it is pinched/bent, not tightened properly, or split.

Has happened quite a few times during other people's installations.

3. Nov 12, 2013 at 1:12 PM
    AWF ROWD

AWF ROWD ...eats at the " Y " often....

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    40.102° N, 82.804° W
    Vehicle:
    '13 BLOWN 4X4 Sport
    TRD Supercharger, Walbro 255 FP Upgrade, aFe Stage 2 si CAI, TRD Acrylic cover by Coupe ADD 1 OIL Catch can/SS hoses, TRD cat back exhaust, URD 2.8" Stealth pulley, 3" lift, Toytec/Bilstein C/O's, Toytec Progressive AAL's, LR UCA's, 5100 Rear Billies, Bi-Xenon HID BHLM Retro's w/ Halos RED LINE Tuning Hood Rods Swaybar Relocate, Line X'd Bull Guard/Step, Hitch, Craven Speed Dual Gauge mount, AEM Boost/AFR Gauges, Windows 20% tint, Weather Tech deflectors, GrillCraft upper and lower, Tacoma Raptor letters, LED Interior/Exterior lighting, Lund 6" Color Matched Oval Side Bars, Webasto 700 II sunroof, Heated Two toned custom leather TRD logo'd, Kenwood Multimedia 6990 HD head unit ,JL Stealthbox sub, Hertz Component speakers,, Entire cab damped with hushmat, Viper Security/Remote start, Weather Tech Liners, Blackened exterior LED Lights, Undercover Top w/LED's, Carbon fiber TRD windshield decal,, TRD stitched leather shift knob, TRD steering wheel emblem,
    Glad to know....

4. Nov 12, 2013 at 9:07 PM
    mike92y

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OFF ROAD
    Yea thats what Gadget said today when I called. The truck died just after leaving work today. I had a friend tow it back to where I work and will drop the tank and see whats up in the parking lot sometime soon. I have alot going on so it may be a day or two before it gets fixed. Gadget said the clamps sometimes cut into the hose inside the tank if they are to tight. It sucks because it now has 1/2 tank of gas. I am glad I did not fill it all the way up like I usually do.

5. Nov 13, 2013 at 6:18 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    I would order a spare Gates submersible hose, 12", just to be on the safe side.

6. Nov 13, 2013 at 7:41 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    I have had somewhat the same issue. My line split at the pump and I had all kinds of issues :p.

I would say step one would be to have the line pressure tested during cranking both before and after the external filter in order to determine whether or not proper pressure is being maintained coming out of the tank and there is no blockage in that filter (shouldn't be but you never know). Then we can work from there. I have personally had this happen to me and had the truck completely ripped apart diagnosing the issue. I am more than happy to help you work through it.

I would also recheck the connections where the fuel lines meet the fuel rail. I had one on there a little janky when I did my S/C install and luckily caught it before I started everything up.

7. Nov 13, 2013 at 5:44 PM
    mike92y

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OFF ROAD
    How long was the pump installed before the line split? Did you over tighten the clamps on the fuel pump?

How do you pressure test the lines?

Did you have a blockage in the fuel filter? That would be an easy fix.

8. Nov 13, 2013 at 6:49 PM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    Less than 2 months. I'm not certain the cause for sure, but it definitely could have been from me over tightening the clamps.

You will need to take it to a shop and they will disconnect the lines and plug them into a gauge and crank the engine. It will tell them the pressure being produced by the pump.

I did not have a blockage at the filter, but its worth checking if the tank side of the filter shows good pressure.

9. Nov 16, 2013 at 4:20 PM
    mike92y

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OFF ROAD
    Fixed. Intake line hose clamp was loose. My fault. If anyone in the Phoenix plans to do this mod PM me and I will help. I have dropping the tank down to science now.

10. Nov 16, 2013 at 4:22 PM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    :thumbsup: Glad you got it ironed out

11. Nov 16, 2013 at 4:23 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    I'm about 3 weeks away from installing, im in Tempe!

12. Nov 16, 2013 at 6:24 PM
    mike92y

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OFF ROAD
    I am in Gilbert. I will PM you my Phone # and address. Come over to my place and we will get her done. I have a tranny jack that will help with removal and install. I also have a tool for removal of the big plastic ring on top of the tank. Should only take 2 hours or less to get it done.

13. Nov 16, 2013 at 6:27 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    Awesome I would really appreciate that especially since you have hands on experience doing it!

14. Nov 16, 2013 at 6:41 PM
    mike92y

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OFF ROAD
    Glad to help. Try to have your fuel level low when we do the install.

15. Nov 16, 2013 at 7:01 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    Lol 21 gallons of fuel to lower, doesn't sound fun. I'll make sure it's close to E

16. Nov 17, 2013 at 3:15 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    And the reason why forums can be so awesome. If the 320 is around the same price ans the 255, why not get the larger?

If they are two far different, the 255 will still be more than adequate.

17. Nov 17, 2013 at 5:46 PM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    Anyone know or have a photo of the fuel tank outlet fitting. Curious if it is quick disconnect or molded on.

Thanks
    PK

18. Nov 17, 2013 at 6:54 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    I don't have a picture, but the cap which the lines on the outside of the tank attach to, are molded.

19. Nov 18, 2013 at 4:40 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    Thanks.

So for my add on fuel filter, I'll plan to use the oem fuel lines, mount the filter, then build the line from the filter to the oem chassis tube as quick disconnect.

As you mentioned to me before, I should still drop the tank and remove the oem filter.

Consider too, this is not to increase performance, rather obtain better maintenance serviceability.

PK

20. Nov 18, 2013 at 4:14 PM
    mike92y

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OFF ROAD
    I want to say the stock filter and pump are one unit. So you will need to change the pump if you want a filter outside the tank. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Products Discussed in

To Top