Notices

AEM intake and smog

Old 11-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
Bring me a Taco... Taco's rule!
slvr07taco is on a distinguished road

Name: Jeremy
slvr07taco's Tacoma Gallery
AEM intake and smog

I have an AEM Brute Force Intake on my '07. Have to get it smogged for the first time this year, they said I need a carb exemption sticker for the intake or it can't pass. Called AEM and they said they don't have that status for Tacoma's. Anyone with an AEM intake or similar have any tips on this problem? I really don't want to dig out the old stock intake and put it back on.
Attached Thumbnails
AEM intake and smog-aem-21-8403dp.jpg  
Old 11-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #2
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
But that is what you are going to have to do.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
steezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
steezinstangl's Tacoma Gallery
since there is a carbon filter in our stock intakes, and all other aftermarket intakes remove the carbon filter (except the new TRD intake which i heard is crap) will not be CARB legal. i'm in the same exact boat as you are. only other option is to go around to some smog shops and see if they'll pass you visually for sure before you pay to have it smogged.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #4
Toyota Technician
That Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud of

That Dude Tim's Tacoma Gallery
1. You could relocate out of California.

2. Call another company that sells CARB compliant intakes and ask for a new sticker, say something like "deteriorated."

3. Use the force and say "this IS the intake you're looking for."
Old 11-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Dude Tim View Post

2. Call another company that sells CARB compliant intakes and ask for a new sticker, say something like "deteriorated."

And when they check the E.O. status and see that the number does not apply to the AEM intake then its all downhill from there. Not a good idea

OP as much as it is a pain you're simply going to have to reinstall the stock intake for smog.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvr07taco View Post
I have an AEM Brute Force Intake on my '07. Have to get it smogged for the first time this year, they said I need a carb exemption sticker for the intake or it can't pass. Called AEM and they said they don't have that status for Tacoma's. Anyone with an AEM intake or similar have any tips on this problem? I really don't want to dig out the old stock intake and put it back on.
Count yourself lucky to have an original stock intake to put back on.

Greg
Old 11-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
Bring me a Taco... Taco's rule!
slvr07taco is on a distinguished road

Name: Jeremy
slvr07taco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the replies guys, like you all said I had to put the stock intake back on, really wasn't that big of a deal. I tried the Jedi Mind Trick Dude Tim, guess I didn't have the Force with me that day..LOL. Doesn't look like there is a compliant intake for Tacos in CA. Yep Greg, glad I kept it around, gonna have to swap it every two years from now on.