Notices

Disappointed with TRD Exhaust

Old 11-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
VEGAS TRD is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Robert
VEGAS TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Disappointed with TRD Exhaust

Let me preface this by saying that this was sort of an impulsive purchase and although I did do some research on the TRD exhaust I should have maybe waited and heard it in person.

Today I purchased a TRD exhaust for my 14 DCSB and I was surprised by the sound. Since I hadn't heard the exhaust before I really don't know what I was expecting but that wasn't it. At highway speeds it sounds good but driving around the city it seems to drone or resonate a little too much for my liking. Hopefully the exhaust tone changes within the next few hundred miles if not I may have to go back to stock.

UPDATE 11/29
I've drove approximately 600 miles since installing the TRD exhaust and I must admit that it's sounding a lot better. It has a good sound at low RPMs and low noise at highway speeds. I drove from Vegas to LA yesterday and the drive wasn't loud at at all. At this point I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in an aftermarket exhaust.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Too deep, too ricey? Don't know that I've heard the TRD exhaust.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGAS TRD View Post
Let me preface this by saying that this was sort of an impulsive purchase and although I did do some research on the TRD exhaust I should have maybe waited and heard it in person.

Today I purchased a TRD exhaust for my 14 DCSB and I was surprised by the sound. Since I hadn't heard the exhaust before I really don't know what I was expecting but that wasn't it. At highway speeds it sounds good but driving around the city it seems to drone or resonate a little too much for my liking. Hopefully the exhaust tone changes within the next few hundred miles if not I may have to go back to stock.
If you want to trade I have a stock exhaust from a 2013
Old 11-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
VEGAS TRD is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Robert
VEGAS TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacolover55 View Post
If you want to trade I have a stock exhaust from a 2013
Lol... Nice try I still have my stock exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjew18 View Post
Too deep, too ricey? Don't know that I've heard the TRD exhaust.
I would say it's too deep rather than a ricey sound. Maybe I'm just not used to it, but I don't know. I'm going to give it some time if not it will be for sale on here in no time.

I'll try taking some video when the weather clears up here in Vegas.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to hear....

Hope ya get used to it.... Iirc chris had one and I dont remember drone at any speed.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Take it off if you don't like it
Old 11-24-2013, 12:08 AM   #7
thekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thekernel114's Tacoma Gallery
give the exhaust some time to burn in, and get some heat cycles through it. it will still change quite a bit.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #9
Lord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Mar Div
Name: Nick
Lord Helmet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
exhaust and intake on are trucks are worthless.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #11
Mr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Active MK 02-09, ME 09-10, Reserve ME 10-11, LTJG 11-Current.  Federal Civilian 10-Current
Mr. Brown's Tacoma Gallery
All mods are worthless.

Back to OP: It will take probably 6 months for the exhaust to break-in. Give it some time and it should get better. If you still don't like it after that it shouldn't be hard to sell on here.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #12
Xer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of light

Army: veterans affairs
Xer0 SiN's Tacoma Gallery
someone mentioned burn-in which is correct, gotta give it time. the sound should change the more your drive it. if not, buy a urd ypipe (or weld in straight pipes to the rear cats), doug thorley long tubes, or simply wait. dont compound and do both unless you get a resonator. removing all cats is gonna sound raspy as hell.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:36 PM   #13
tank3105 is on a distinguished road
tank3105's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Agreed, I decided to throw on a blower with a volant and stealth pulley. Problem solved whine's louder than exhaust.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #14
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
exhaust and intake on are trucks are worthless.

BRAAAAAAAP is worth every penny...
Old 11-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #16
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
OP I tried a TRD a couple of years ago and had the same results. I know I am in the minority, but my opinion was that it sounded a bit ricey at idle, just off idle, then I had a drone about 2200-2400 rpm or so. 3k+ was nice though. I ended up selling mine.

BTW, mine was bought used, so it was definitely broke in. Anyway, just another opinion, keep in mind that sound is like style, its very subjective. Every person is different. If you dont like it, dont live with it. Fyi, right now I have a Borla dropin muffler, after trying the TRD and a Magnaflow dropin. Borla is staying.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #17
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I had a similar experience when I had a Magnaflow muffler installed. After a week I was happy to go back to the stock exhaust. While it sounded nice and mellow, it resonated the most at 2,000 rpm which is right where I drive the most. I also lost low end torque by opening up the exhaust because it needs some back pressure to pull good at low rpms. Toyota designed the stock exhaust to do just that.

You really don't have much of a problem as you can always simply go back if it doesn't get any better. TRD's aren't difficult to sell.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #18
DougDeBonet is one of the sharper tools in the shedDougDeBonet is one of the sharper tools in the shedDougDeBonet is one of the sharper tools in the shedDougDeBonet is one of the sharper tools in the shedDougDeBonet is one of the sharper tools in the shedDougDeBonet is one of the sharper tools in the shedDougDeBonet is one of the sharper tools in the shedDougDeBonet is one of the sharper tools in the shedDougDeBonet is one of the sharper tools in the shedDougDeBonet is one of the sharper tools in the shedDougDeBonet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Doug
DougDeBonet's Tacoma Gallery
I like loud. I'm probably going to end up getting custom bent piping with a hi flow cat and a dynomax super turbo muffler. True dual though. My current daily has a Lexus sc400 1UZ v8 with straight pipes.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #19
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
UPDATE 11/29
I've drove approximately 600 miles since installing the TRD exhaust and I must admit that it's sounding a lot better. It has a good sound at low RPMs and low noise at highway speeds. I drove from Vegas to LA yesterday and the drive wasn't loud at at all. At this point I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in an aftermarket exhaust.

Glad to hear it's working better.
That might be because the packing material gets coated with carbon with use and it quiets down. I don't think I gave my MagnaFlow enough time to settle in as I only drove it about 100 miles in the week it was on. I might just give it another try...

Greg
Old 12-20-2013, 01:08 AM   #20
Banana Nut
TheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TheMuffinMan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaltaco65 View Post
BRAAAAAAAP is worth every penny...
+1

Yes there's no performance benefit, but I will admit I do appreciate a nice sounding exhaust. Nice doesn't equal loud. YMMV.

For me, worth it, especially when it's only $500 some. Last exhaust I bought for a motorcycle was $1200 for a pair of slip-on's and it was worth every penny.