1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replaced Front wheel bearings now brakes are soft any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Ripcurrent, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Nov 29, 2013 at 7:56 PM
    Ripcurrent

Ripcurrent [OP] Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner

Three weeks ago took my 06 Tacoma to the dealership forroutine MAINT. Dealer told me that myleft c/v joint was bad and would probably need to be replaced, the rep added “…it’llcost just under a grand.” :confused: I asked theservice rep how long before I needed to get the work done and he in essencesaid the sooner the better.

I took the vehicle to a job required commitment 500 milesaway and as I was driving back to my home town (about 350 miles out) I beganhearing a “whoop, whoop, whoop…….” soundcoming from my left front. About 200miles later my ABS light came on. About25 miles from my house I noticed my brakes were very, very soft. I took the truck to a mechanic and I had thebearings replaced on both sides. Mechanictold me I heated the shit out of the left bearings. I watched the mechanic spend over an hourattempting to separate the bearing assembly from the hub; but the mechaniccompleted the repair. After the repair Ithought the brakes would work 100% but they are still soft after 40 miles.

Any ideas on trouble shooting going forward?

What is a fair amount of time a mechanic needs to diagnosethe problem?

If I have to replace the master cylinder what is acompetitive after market price for a midrange model?

How much should it cost to install a master cylinder?
    Thanks.

2. Dec 3, 2013 at 5:56 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Take the caliper off of the steering knuckle and inspect the boots around the pistons. If no damage, then try bleeding the brakes.

Is your reservoir low? Are your brake pads low?

3. Feb 5, 2014 at 8:27 AM
    ZEROPILOT

ZEROPILOT Can't re-MEMBER

Member:
    First Name:
    ED
    SUNRISE,FLORIDA
    Vehicle:
    09 2.7 XTRA CAB 5 SPEED
    LARGER WHEELS. DIFFERENT STEREO. PUSH BAR. TAILGATE EXTENDER. WIPER MOD. TPMS LIGHT DELETE MOD.
    Your bearing heated up the brake on that side and boiled the fluid? My X wife toasted her brakes this way driving down a mountain in Tennessee.

4. Feb 5, 2014 at 8:30 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    ^^ That doesn't sound pleasant.

Products Discussed in

To Top