Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Will an Exhaust tip make your truck louder?

Old 03-16-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
Vincent is just really niceVincent is just really niceVincent is just really niceVincent is just really niceVincent is just really nice
Name: Vincent
Vincent's Tacoma Gallery
Will an Exhaust tip make your truck louder?

I've never had a nice tip put on my truck before...just a bolt on one from pep boys. I want one welded on this time since I had recently put 2.5 inch pipes from the cat back. The truck sounds better to me IMO now.

so question is. Will the exhaust tip add to MORE sound? or no difference at all?
Old 03-16-2009, 08:55 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
No difference...
Old 03-17-2009, 01:17 AM   #3
m_yota will become famous soon enough

m_yota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
No difference...
x2 changing your muffler will.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:56 AM   #5
mkeeagle is on a distinguished road
Navy: IC3
mkeeagle's Tacoma Gallery
And if you change the windshield washer fluid your blinkers will go faster too. Weird day for me today.....sorry
Old 03-17-2009, 07:04 AM   #6
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeeagle View Post
And if you change the windshield washer fluid your blinkers will go faster too. Weird day for me today.....sorry
To add on to that.... if you change your muffler bearings it sounds way better too!!!
Old 03-17-2009, 07:10 AM   #7
Rigger, Please
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: (2T2X1)Air Force Rigger
Name: "Butters"
AFButters's Tacoma Gallery
Old 03-17-2009, 07:14 AM   #8
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_yota View Post
Quote:
No difference...
x2 changing your muffler will.
X3
On the contrary. An exhaust tip will effect the sound. The length of the tip, size of the inlet/outlet, and whether or not the tip is resonated will have an effect on how the sound rolls out of the exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
I've never had a nice tip put on my truck before...just a bolt on one from pep boys. I want one welded on this time since I had recently put 2.5 inch pipes from the cat back. The truck sounds better to me IMO now.

so question is. Will the exhaust tip add to MORE sound? or no difference at all?
Function Over Fashion
Exhaust tips actually do play a role in the final sound of an exhaust. Where mufflers and resonators take care of the good majority of exhaust pulse cancellation and silencing, the exhaust tip can shape the remaining pulses and accompanying sound as it makes its final exit from the pipe. Much in the same way a Tuba sounds different than a Trumpet, a short megaphone exhaust tip will sound completely different than a long pencil-shaped exhaust tip. Some exhaust tips even add a small resonator to the equation to help mellow and deepen the exiting exhaust note. A perforated tube surrounded by sound deadening material puts one last mellowing touch on the exhaust pulses before they reach your ears and the ears of others.

Mounting can also have an effect on sound. A tip that is mounted with a compression clamp or welded on can provide a more solid sound than screw-on type tips. Screw-on tips mount in the same way a light bulb cover bolts onto the ceiling light fixture. Three bolts or screws hold the tip onto the end of the exhaust pipe. Finally, while claims of exhaust tips by themselves adding horsepower are numerous, these claims should be approached with great skepticism. Unless the tip being replaced is acting as a massive restriction to exhaust flow, replacing an exhaust tip is more an exercise in style and sound than noticeable horsepower gains.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:29 AM   #9
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hmmm......Not sure Im buying that. Maybe if the tips are shapped like a trumpet or something, but you cant tell me a tip makes an audible difference in SPL. Of all the different tips I have had on an exhaust pipe, not one made a difference in sound.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:57 AM   #10
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hmmm......Not sure Im buying that. Maybe if the tips are shapped like a trumpet or something, but you cant tell me a tip makes an audible difference in SPL. Of all the different tips I have had on an exhaust pipe, not one made a difference in sound.
while it may not necessarily make it louder or quieter, it will 'tune' the note.

For instance, when you tune your AFR, you may or may not notice any gains, but through specifically designed recording systems (aka a dyno in this case) you can measure the change.. say 2-3hp. The exhaust note is the same way, just much harder to tell unless you have an ear for that kind of thing.

For instance, if you go from a 6" long 4" oval exhaust tip to a 16" long dual 3" circle tip with built in resonators, i promise you will hear a difference in the tune of the sound not necessarily in DB levels.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrunnIT View Post
while it may not necessarily make it louder or quieter, it will 'tune' the note.

For instance, when you tune your AFR, you may or may not notice any gains, but through specifically designed recording systems (aka a dyno in this case) you can measure the change.. say 2-3hp. The exhaust note is the same way, just much harder to tell unless you have an ear for that kind of thing.

For instance, if you go from a 6" long 4" oval exhaust tip to a 16" long dual 3" circle tip with built in resonators, i promise you will hear a difference in the tune of the sound not necessarily in DB levels.
Ok....now THAT I belive. Being as the OP asked if they "add more sound", I asumed more DBL's.........
Old 03-17-2009, 08:09 AM   #12
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok....now THAT I belive. Being as the OP asked if they "add more sound", I asumed more DBL's.........
yes, in that perspective you are correct. They generally won't add sound.

From what I've dealt with in the past, the longer the tip, the smoother the sound. trust me.. the ladies especially love it longer...
Old 03-17-2009, 08:10 AM   #13

Quote:
yes, in that perspective you are correct. They generally won't add sound.

From what I've dealt with in the past, the longer the tip, the smoother the sound. trust me.. the ladies especially love it longer...
Old 03-17-2009, 08:13 AM   #14
Vincent is just really niceVincent is just really niceVincent is just really niceVincent is just really niceVincent is just really nice
Vincent's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys. Now, which tip should i get? i'm thinkin of recycling some cans today hahah and using that money to get a tip.

i only know about the Slashed, straight, and rolled tips

which one would lean towards the deepest "tuned" note?
Old 03-17-2009, 08:22 AM   #15
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
I would suggest a tip 12"-16" long, then based on what look you want oval/round. Choosing one with a resonator built it will mellow the sound, but generally cost more.

Weld the tip on if you can, you'll get a cleaner sound.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:59 AM   #17
Vincent's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I would suggest a tip 12"-16" long, then based on what look you want oval/round. Choosing one with a resonator built it will mellow the sound, but generally cost more.

Weld the tip on if you can, you'll get a cleaner sound.
i've been calling up shops if they carry a any round/oval Magnaflow resonated muffler tips that are at least 12''-16'' and no one carries them. ( all the shops in my area )

Does the brand make a difference? cuz i think pepboys might sell the ones i want equipped with a resonator.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:40 AM   #18
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Your best off finding one online, getting a part number and then call a shop.

Check out Summit's website. Should be able to find exactly what you need, and for a reasonable price.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:07 AM   #19
Vincent's Tacoma Gallery
i just talk to guys from magnaflow and flowmaster.

Magnaflow said: Tips won't make a change at all and are plainly cosmetic

Flowmaster said: gave me a novel. and said 40 series flowmaster is the worst sounding muffler available (honest guy) He also gave me the same lecture as you did (Xrunner) and told me about acoustics and diameter..

But he couldnt answer my question on whether or not the resonated tips they sell at pepboys would have the same affect as buying one online from Magnaflow for 100+ bucks.

im so close to getting up and buying a resonated tip from pep boys right now.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:16 AM   #20

Pep Boys stuff is generally lower quality. the ones you may find online may be polished stainless steel, as opposed to cromed rolled steel. Big difference in price...