Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

A different take on exhaust re-route

Old 12-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
TACO RKN is a splendid one to beholdTACO RKN is a splendid one to beholdTACO RKN is a splendid one to beholdTACO RKN is a splendid one to beholdTACO RKN is a splendid one to beholdTACO RKN is a splendid one to beholdTACO RKN is a splendid one to behold
TACO RKN's Tacoma Gallery
A different take on exhaust re-route

I decided to go a different route with my exhaust. I had a Flowmaster on my Jeep that I really liked so decided to stay with a pair of those...

It's a little louder than I was hoping for, but still a nice deep rumble. Plus everything is out if the way of the rocks as much as possible.

I hadn't seen anyone else go this route, but perhaps a bunch of folks have. The exhaust guy had never done one this way.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
nice true duals. i bet its loud as shit
Old 12-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
TACO RKN is a splendid one to beholdTACO RKN is a splendid one to beholdTACO RKN is a splendid one to beholdTACO RKN is a splendid one to beholdTACO RKN is a splendid one to beholdTACO RKN is a splendid one to beholdTACO RKN is a splendid one to behold
Well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbui23 View Post
nice true duals. i bet its loud as shit
Thanks. It isn't really quiet...but not too bad either....will definitely be better off road...and will work better with the RCI skids I have on order!
Old 12-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
TripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: They keep callin me cowboy but its not my name...
Location: Socal but I am still a Southern Florida guy at heart
TripleThreat's Tacoma Gallery
Well thats a first I don't think I have seen mufflers that far up but I garuntee mines louder =D
Old 12-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
CreepyTm is a glorious beacon of lightCreepyTm is a glorious beacon of lightCreepyTm is a glorious beacon of lightCreepyTm is a glorious beacon of lightCreepyTm is a glorious beacon of light

Law Enforcement: SF
CreepyTm's Tacoma Gallery
Looks pretty cool.
Any chance you have video/audio clips
Old 12-14-2013, 07:25 AM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleThreat View Post
Well thats a first I don't think I have seen mufflers that far up but I garuntee mines louder =D
That was my main goal...to get them out of harm's way. After coming home on the freeway, I found it to be louder than I expected. The jury is still out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadToy View Post
Looks cool, but you're gonna get carbon monoxide fumes in the cab at long lights. In some states, that won't pass safety inspection.
Luckily I live in CA where everything is so easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyTm View Post
Looks pretty cool.
Any chance you have video/audio clips
Thanks. I'll try to post one soon.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #8
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
I actually have thought about going this route as well. Do you feel like you lost low end power or are you F/I? I know most non-boosted guys who start upgrading exhaust components start complaining about how much of a hit the low end gets.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
Exhaust REDONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
I actually have thought about going this route as well. Do you feel like you lost low end power or are you F/I? I know most non-boosted guys who start upgrading exhaust components start complaining about how much of a hit the low end gets.
YES! definitely lost low end grunt. SO, I took it back today and had them re-work it. MUCH better now...

It is now quieter, everything is above the frame rails and tucked away safely, no exhaust fumes...and the low end is back! I am so much happier now...what can I say, I tried the other route and while it accomplished one of my goals (maximum exhaust ground clearance), it didn't accomplish others...

BTW..for local SoCal guys, I went to Muffler Express in Santa Fe Springs. See Yan...he is much more detail oriented and does a great job. I am very happy with the service I received. And no, I have no affiliation...
Old 12-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #10
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Wow! You switched back fast! Was the low end loss that bad? What factors contributed to changing it back to a y-pipe?
Old 12-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #11
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Wow! You switched back fast! Was the low end loss that bad? What factors contributed to changing it back to a y-pipe?

I'll bet it was. That was almost like running open pipes. With true duals, there's only half as much exhaust to pressurize each muffler so it can't do as good of a job quieting the exhaust.

But with only one muffler, it can.

That Y is also an advantage as the combining exhaust pulses alternately hitting each side of the Y help to scavenge the exhaust coming in from the other side of the Y.

Greg
Old 12-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #12
steezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
steezinstangl's Tacoma Gallery
that y pipe looks pretty good!
Old 12-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #13
BDS'd
RadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant future

Name: NEIL
RadTaco914's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting first setup..Never seen that done before on a taco. Im pretty surprised you lost that much back pressure even with the secondary cats still there and a muffler for each bank..Im planning on deleting the secondary cats and running an x-pipe into a 2-1 muffler and dumped after the axle..Hope I dont loose to much back pressure. I just want a deep rumble.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:05 AM   #14
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
That Y is also an advantage as the combining exhaust pulses alternately hitting each side of the Y help to scavenge the exhaust coming in from the other side of the Y.

Greg

Nailed it!
Old 12-17-2013, 07:28 AM   #15

Quote:
I'll bet it was. That was almost like running open pipes. With true duals, there's only half as much exhaust to pressurize each muffler so it can't do as good of a job quieting the exhaust.
Couldn't you just run smaller sized mufflers to compensate for that? Ones designed for small cars maybe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTaco914 View Post
Interesting first setup..Never seen that done before on a taco. Im pretty surprised you lost that much back pressure even with the secondary cats still there and a muffler for each bank..Im planning on deleting the secondary cats and running an x-pipe into a 2-1 muffler and dumped after the axle..Hope I dont loose to much back pressure. I just want a deep rumble.
The cats on modern vehicles, like the 2005+ Tacoma's are High Flow cats. They aren't very restrictive at all compared to older cats. The gains that come from removing the cats, are typically just from the poor design of the OEM component that is being swapped out for a nicer aftermarket part. If you just cut out the cats and weld in some straight pipe I doubt you would see any noticeable gains. You would notice a change in sound though I believe.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:25 AM   #16
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Couldn't you just run smaller sized mufflers to compensate for that? Ones designed for small cars maybe?

Yeah, you could experiment with smaller twin pipes and matching mufflers... but I don't think that anyone has tried that on their truck when single exhaust systems are simpler and cheaper.

Just as a side note, it used to be popular to put tiny dual exhaust systems on old time cruisers with large V8 engines just to get that distinctive popping backrap sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDI9E4wXHZk
Old 12-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #17

Quote:
Yeah, you could experiment with smaller twin pipes and matching mufflers... but I don't think that anyone has tried that on their truck when single exhaust systems are simpler and cheaper.

Just as a side note, it used to be popular to put tiny dual exhaust systems on old time cruisers with large V8 engines just to get that distinctive popping backrap sound.
I don't think I will be too concerned. I think I will be running boost by the time I start tweaking the exhaust and at that point you want less back pressure anyway.

I kind of like that sound. Reminds me of a Harley only quieter and not quite as deep. I wouldn't want that on a vehicle I drive on a daily basis though...