Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Performance Exhaust ??'s

Old 12-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
motoaction22 is on a distinguished road
Name: Cody
motoaction22's Tacoma Gallery
Performance Exhaust ??'s

Alright, so I am new to TW. I'm having a hard time finding a straight forward thread about exhaust pros and cons. I just bought a 2014 DCLB SPORT and installed the aFe CAI. Sounds great, works great, looks clean. My next mod will be an exhaust, its very hard to be confident in buying an exhaust without hearing them. Plus, all the vendors say the same shit, increased HP, dadddidaadidaa. What do you guys think? I'm shooting for performance, quality, and deep throaty sound but not to loud in the cab. Full catback system. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-25-2014, 04:01 PM   #2
Brown316 is on a distinguished road
Brown316's Tacoma Gallery
Look into the Banks cat back exhaust made in the us sounds nice and deep. They put a lot of effort in making it right . performance, sound , quality....
Old 01-25-2014, 04:05 PM   #3
AsphaltCowboy has a brilliant futureAsphaltCowboy has a brilliant futureAsphaltCowboy has a brilliant futureAsphaltCowboy has a brilliant futureAsphaltCowboy has a brilliant futureAsphaltCowboy has a brilliant futureAsphaltCowboy has a brilliant futureAsphaltCowboy has a brilliant futureAsphaltCowboy has a brilliant futureAsphaltCowboy has a brilliant futureAsphaltCowboy has a brilliant future

Name: Matt
AsphaltCowboy's Tacoma Gallery
I love my flowmaster American thunder on my truck. It maybe a little loud in the cab but it sounds great with my K&N CAI. I definitely feel a power difference in the higher rpms. Plus the dual exhaust looks really cool. It ran me about 600 dollars with installation. It's also got a good throaty sound like you described! And it doesn't drone that much at all.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:18 PM   #4
Blake is on a distinguished road
Blake's Tacoma Gallery
I have Borla, and it sounds great. Hard to tell about power increase…since I have a TRD supercharger.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:41 AM   #5
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Find a shop and have them temp clamp a few mufflers to the pipes and throw a couple revs.

Unless ur going forced induction, I can't say I can see a benefit in any catback.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:42 AM   #6
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Find a shop and have them temp clamp a few mufflers to the pipes and throw a couple revs.

Unless ur going forced induction, I can't say I can see a benefit in any catback.
x2...
Old 01-26-2014, 09:13 AM   #7
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

It might depend on the vehicle... I dyno tested my Toyota Yaris with the stock exhaust and with a MagnaFlow axleback exhaust...

...and there was a pretty decent difference...

Both runs were done with the same intake and with the same Weapon R header...

Although I don't know for sure if you can extrapolate that kind of improvement to the Tacoma, as so far I've only done dyno runs with the stock exhaust. I have a custom fabricated MagnaFlow exhaust on it now...

...and might do a run one day just to see for myself.

Greg
Old 01-26-2014, 01:54 PM   #8
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
It might depend on the vehicle... I dyno tested my Toyota Yaris with the stock exhaust and with a MagnaFlow axleback exhaust...

...and there was a pretty decent difference...

Both runs were done with the same intake and with the same Weapon R header...

Although I don't know for sure if you can extrapolate that kind of improvement to the Tacoma, as so far I've only done dyno runs with the stock exhaust. I have a custom fabricated MagnaFlow exhaust on it now...

...and might do a run one day just to see for myself.

Greg
Pretty much.... I was only commenting on the 4.0 Tacoma the op has.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:56 PM   #9
They call me Greekbro
GREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
GREEKBOY12295's Tacoma Gallery
Aero Turbine is pretty solid. Noticed a slight gain, and mpg went up a little.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:03 PM   #10
Lindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lindsey
Lindsey Walrod's Tacoma Gallery
Subd. Will look later
Old 01-26-2014, 02:23 PM   #11
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Pretty much.... I was only commenting on the 4.0 Tacoma the op has.

Of course. Results can vary widly from one engine to another.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:19 PM   #12

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Isn't stock mandrel already?
Old 01-26-2014, 06:50 PM   #13
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Yes it is... that's why just welding in a muffler while leaving the rest stock is such a good mod. The stock pipe is already nice just as it is.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:04 PM   #14
DuntTruck is on a distinguished road
DuntTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Getting a muffler welded on next week...is ar tune up needed after to get the most out of it, or is that only something to consider after getting a full exhaust, CAI etc?
Old 03-04-2014, 07:55 PM   #15

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuntTruck View Post
Getting a muffler welded on next week...is ar tune up needed after to get the most out of it, or is that only something to consider after getting a full exhaust, CAI etc?
nope........... get it welded and drive it like normal.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:25 PM   #16
jmeduna is on a distinguished road
jmeduna's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsphaltCowboy View Post
I love my flowmaster American thunder on my truck. It maybe a little loud in the cab but it sounds great with my K&N CAI. I definitely feel a power difference in the higher rpms. Plus the dual exhaust looks really cool. It ran me about 600 dollars with installation. It's also got a good throaty sound like you described! And it doesn't drone that much at all.
Did you have all your joints welded? Any other suggestions besides welding them?