Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Tacoma Dyno Results

Old 03-21-2014, 06:08 AM   #21
Never Satisfied
KingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed
KingKoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Your automatic right?
What gear was this done in?

It pulled all the way to redline?
Justus; yes slushbox, all the way to redline. We did pulls in 2nd and 3rd gear. I am fairly certain this was 2nd gear pulls on the printouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vassily28 View Post

In NA conditions all the mods have produced something like 25HP/35lbs-pi. They are probably more efficient in SC conditions. But like said, it's a lot related to having or not reading on dyno and it should be the same dyno. My 3 runs were done on the same dynos with the same technician in a few days interval. Working now on a 4th and 5th run. 4th will be 70mm throttle body (a lot of people waiting for this one) and 5th with UCON and 7th injector when avalaible for 2009+
To Vassily's point; conservative in that if the bolt-ons produced the max HP they stated could be gained it would should be something like..

AFE Intake; 5-10HP Catback; 5HP 2.85 Pulley; 10-25HP; URD YPipe; 5HP which on paper should be a 40+ HP bump over 305. But in the real world that's not the case and didn't see those numbers and the atmospheric conditions were good even though I did not officially record them. But i get what you're saying, yes, it is not really conservative to say 325/350 as that is probably closer to accurate than the higher numbers.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:24 AM   #22
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKoda View Post
Justus; yes slushbox, all the way to redline. We did pulls in 2nd and 3rd gear. I am fairly certain this was 2nd gear pulls on the printouts.

To Vassily's point; conservative in that if the bolt-ons produced the max HP they stated could be gained it would should be something like..

AFE Intake; 5HP Catback; 5HP 2.85 Pulley; 15-25HP; URD YPipe; 5HP which on paper should be a 40+ HP bump over 305. But in the real world that's not the case and didn't see those numbers and the atmospheric conditions were good even though I did not officially record them. But i get what you're saying, yes, it is not really conservative to say 325/350 as that is probably closer to accurate than the higher numbers.
I thought dynos were done on a 1:1 ratio
Old 03-21-2014, 06:27 AM   #23
Never Satisfied
KingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
I thought dynos were done on a 1:1 ratio
You're likely correct and I may be wrong, it's been a few months now. I know jack squat about how a dyno pull should be done and this was my first time with any sort of dyno experience. The truck was warmed up as it was nearly an hour drive, guy spent several minutes once hooked up to everything making some mid-rpm runs/punches to get a feel for the gear kick downs/changes and then we made a few pulls looking at the computers each time in between. They seemed knowledgeable for whatever that is worth, had plenty of turbo cars EVO/STI types in the back that they tuned, turbo vipers, and said they had the diesel truck guys come in to dyno fairly often. I doubt it was the first time they had dyno'd an automatic.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:52 AM   #24
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Until ya do the fuel pump, I'd def get that fpr hooked to the boost port.
I'd say keep an eye on em, but u don't have a gauge yet...... Just be careful I guess.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:55 AM   #25
Never Satisfied
Quote:
Until ya do the fuel pump, I'd def get that fpr hooked to the boost port.
I'd say keep an eye on em, but u don't have a gauge yet...... Just be careful I guess.
Oh yeah, The truck is babied for the most part, I mean, I get on it some to stretch the legs occasionally, but I'm not taching this bitch out drag racing at lights or keeping the pedal in it slinging mud in the field...as fun as that would be. This is just a DD truck that I sup'd up a little and sees some light camp trails in the mountains. I get pissed off at bird shit, no need to dent and scratch it up just yet.

Thing is that was brought up as well is that during the dyno session the AFR was measured from the tailpipe probe, down stream of the front two cats. This likely made the reading slightly leaner than what it truly is at the collectors/manifold. But I have the fuel pump upgrade sitting in the garage....still.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:55 AM   #26
Vassily28 is on a distinguished road
Vassily28's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

AFE Intake; 5-10HP Catback; 5HP 2.85 Pulley; 10-25HP; URD YPipe; 5HP which on paper should be a 40+ HP bump over 305. But in the real world that's not the case and didn't see those numbers and the atmospheric conditions were good even though I did not officially record them. But i get what you're saying, yes, it is not really conservative to say 325/350 as that is probably closer to accurate than the higher numbers.
Sorry didn't realize you had a dual VVTI so it can explain most of the difference.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:58 AM   #27

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vassily28 View Post
Sorry didn't realize you had a dual VVTI so it can explain most of the difference.
? We don't have dual vvti
Old 03-21-2014, 07:02 AM   #28
Never Satisfied
Quote:
? We don't have dual vvti

Nope, unless I did some sort of FJ engine swap in my sleep.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:05 AM   #29

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nope, unless I did some sort of FJ engine swap in my sleep.
Lol.... Ambien defense

I believe I heard they aren't as strong anyhow.
I'm on my phone tho and the PDF I read is on the pc
Old 03-21-2014, 08:26 AM   #30
WOODEX M.E. is on a distinguished road

Name: Corey
WOODEX M.E.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Those numbers are at the wheel.
If that's the case then I can appreciate these numbers. So really he has gained about another 70-75 hp on top of the supercharger? My goal ultimately is to some day get a safe 375hp/400lb-ft to the crank. But based on these numbers, it can be done without being too ridiculous. I really don't want to go down the same path you have Torspd, too expensive for my blood. I know Toyota rates the engine at 304hp with the charger so I was concerned when I saw all the modifications and the pulley with what I perceived as a small gain. Glad to see that those numbers are at the wheels. Guess I should dyno this summer so I have a baseline before I start adding stuff.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:30 PM   #31
Never Satisfied
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODEX M.E. View Post
If that's the case then I can appreciate these numbers. So really he has gained about another 70-75 hp on top of the supercharger? My goal ultimately is to some day get a safe 375hp/400lb-ft to the crank. But based on these numbers, it can be done without being too ridiculous. I really don't want to go down the same path you have Torspd, too expensive for my blood. I know Toyota rates the engine at 304hp with the charger so I was concerned when I saw all the modifications and the pulley with what I perceived as a small gain. Glad to see that those numbers are at the wheels. Guess I should dyno this summer so I have a baseline before I start adding stuff.
I don't believe this is correct. I am under the assumption the ~304HP/334TQ factory TRD S/C figures are at the wheel. Not sure these bolt on performance modifications produced 70+ HP at the wheel. They produced an additional 20-30HP at the wheel depending on conditions which would back up the dyno fiqures for roughly 325HP/350TQ. Either way, you won't know for sure what mods have what effect and how to tune for those mods without using a dyno and using that same dyno as your baseline. I do know, my Tacoma is pretty fun when you press down that skinny pedal for what it is, a midsize truck with some balls. This isn't my need for speed machine though. Hell, I'd even tweak my leaf blower to make it more powerful if I thought it was worth it.

EDIT: maybe they did....pulley 20, intake 10, exhaust free up 20...I dunno, I'm a shade tree mechanic in my own home garage that just has a knack for mechanical things and knows how to put back together what I take apart from working on cars with my father as a kid, if I have the tools I will do it; not sure how the factory states its' HP/TQ numbers, I always assumed at the wheel, maybe the dyno software adjusted for that....TORSPD?
Old 03-21-2014, 01:16 PM   #32
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
TRD numbers for bolt on s/c are what you two listed. At the crank. Pulley (size depending), headers, intake, Y-pipe, catback, etc..... will get it over. Tuning combined will further advance those wheel hp numbers.

There is a dyno graph in my F/I #'s link, near the end, which shows what a bare stock s/c install does. Under impressive really, but it is accurate in the fact that the increase was around 70 whp over stock N/A. _~200 whp.

Lucario Runner is making around ~250 - 270 whp N/A ( I cannot remember exactly, but his dyno is recorded here.), and ~ 300 wtq.

So to pick up 50 - 70 whp from those simple bolts-ons, on top of the TRD s/c, is easily achievable.