Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Tacoma Dyno Results

Old 01-21-2014, 08:59 AM   #1
Never Satisfied
KingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed
KingKoda's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma Dyno Results

I took the truck to be run on a dyno this morning and thought some of you might be interested in seeing the results.

Numbers are about what I expected. Truck did barely dip down a little lean just below 12 when pushed hard, but the URD Fuel Pump upgrade should remedy that (have, but not installed). It's not too lean, but a safety net would be fine with me. However, lean is mean right? ....until kaboom, but the truck is still within the numbers.

I have two print outs here below. The dyno was a SuperFlow AutoDyn 800 All Wheel Drive Dynamometer. The first below is what this dyno fed back. The second is a simulated results for a DynoJet dyno (shows better numbers)

Truck is doing 325 HP and 350 TQ in good air.

Dyno printout - SuperFlow AutoDyn 800 All Wheel Drive Dynamometer

Simulated DynoJet Readout - DJ: 346 HP / 376 TQ

Old 01-21-2014, 09:36 AM   #3
Never Satisfied
KingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Which all mods does your truck have, besides the TRD S/C?
Performance Related:
TRD Supercharger, 2.85 Stealth Pulley, TRD Cat-back, AFE Stage 2si CAI (Pro5r Filter), URD Y-Pipe

Stock Exhaust Manifold.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:03 AM   #5
Never Satisfied
Quote:
Pretty good numbers. I am sure you like the power which waits under the skinny pedal.

Definitely need to get the fuel pump in there. It is on the very of not being safe, in reference to the AFR.
Yeah - I was happy with the numbers. I had kind of thought in my head what they might be (and it was more inflated like the DynoJet Simulation), but the more realistic 325hp/350tq is still solid.

My main reason for getting the dyno was to check AFR's as I do not have a wideband sensor installed. As mentioned, the upgraded pump should remedy and confirms what I've read that at WOT 'full bore' the fuel pressure can drop in the lines with the performance upgrades that I've got. I just need to install that; I started one evening and decided I'd wait for a helping hand after I had gas all in my face.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:42 AM   #7
CanadaToy is on a distinguished road
Name: Greg
CanadaToy's Tacoma Gallery
All you need is a scangauge 2 with xgauge and it will be your AFR sensor, you just need to plug it in.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:06 AM   #8
Never Satisfied
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaToy View Post
All you need is a scangauge 2 with xgauge and it will be your AFR sensor, you just need to plug it in.
No wideband sensor needed?

I'm already running two guages, boost and aeroforce to monitor different ODBII readings (transmission temp and air intake temp mainly). I just haven't got around to having a wideband sensor spot setup on the exhaust (would have used a bung spot on headers if I had them). Probably won't since I know my A/F ratios are in the OK zone during normal driving, but get's to the lean edge when put to hard use, which isn't very often.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:29 AM   #10
CanadaToy is on a distinguished road
Name: Greg
CanadaToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKoda View Post
No wideband sensor needed?

I'm already running two guages, boost and aeroforce to monitor different ODBII readings (transmission temp and air intake temp mainly). I just haven't got around to having a wideband sensor spot setup on the exhaust (would have used a bung spot on headers if I had them). Probably won't since I know my A/F ratios are in the OK zone during normal driving, but get's to the lean edge when put to hard use, which isn't very often.
Yea, see here http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134107 (btw that was 05-08, the codes may be different for newer trucks)
The X1 / UCON use the stock AFR sensors for tuning / etc.

Quote:
I have entered the codes to be able to read AFR's with my Scangauge2. However, it doesn't read any richer than 12:1.

What is this "xgauge" you mentioned?
Xguage is what you used to enter the codes. Strange that it will not read richer, not what i have heard in other reports (such as the link above)

I've yet to get mine working, mainly because i don't want to sit in the truck when it's -15F out without gloves on... LOL.
This guy also mentions 11's http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...t=24997&page=2 - maybe your tune is just that good
Old 01-22-2014, 06:54 AM   #11
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
That would be sweet if the OEM tune were that good. I'd save a lot of gas at the track. ^_^

AEM bottoms out at 10:1 though, and that is N/A WOT. Stupid rich. When I had the Innovate wideband, it would read about 9.5:1. That is one reason why I miss the Innovate Wideband. The new style is much more simple than the old style, as far as wiring and setup. Might swap back to one since it can read as rich as 9:1.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:26 PM   #12
Vassily28 is on a distinguished road
Vassily28's Tacoma Gallery
If you don't have a wideband, i suppose you don't have a supplmentary bung so where the shop did read the AFR ? The AFR on your run was mostly around 13 at WOT and i think it's too lean. For what i've read (cause there is few different information) it should be around 11.5-11.8. Asking the question cause i have the same set up except the Y-pipe (i have the OEM but with DTLT headers) and i have no problem with the stock pump. I even had to lean it a lot with a MAF controller to maintain an AFR between 11.5-12 at WOT.

TOR, can the AFR be really read trough the ECU? I always think the truck was equiped with narrow band sensor so it can only read 14.7 at +/- 15%
And Yep, after the reflash for the TRD SC, i had reading of 9-9.5 AFR.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Run #10.pdf (163.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: pdf Last run #21.pdf (161.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 01-22-2014, 07:22 PM   #14
Never Satisfied
The AFR was captured from an exhaust probe. Had some pretty cool air as we'll, high 30's.

I presume under extended extreme wot throttle input/use the AFR I've seen here could become an issue due to heat and related detonation topics; but I mostly see soot/unburned fuel on my right rear so I'm rich enough to keep them (said rear cylinders) cool/normal under daily driving. Maybe even improve mpg....jk.

The PCM still has control. This is also not doing the 1:1 fpr mod where you connect to the boost port. I should have got a pull in doing that now that I bring it up.

To also answer question above, shop did say it was on lean edge at WOT go mode. Maybe the fpr mod would add just enough extra fuel, but maybe at slight HP expense. No telling yet....

...need URD to get the PCM connectors for newer Tacoma models- maf/map sensor calibrator so I don't have to splice wires. Would buy.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:09 AM   #15
WOODEX M.E. is on a distinguished road

Name: Corey
WOODEX M.E.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I took the truck to be run on a dyno this morning and thought some of you might be interested in seeing the results.

Numbers are about what I expected. Truck did barely dip down a little lean just below 12 when pushed hard, but the URD Fuel Pump upgrade should remedy that (have, but not installed). It's not too lean, but a safety net would be fine with me. However, lean is mean right? ....until kaboom, but the truck is still within the numbers.

I have two print outs here below. The dyno was a SuperFlow AutoDyn 800 All Wheel Drive Dynamometer. The first below is what this dyno fed back. The second is a simulated results for a DynoJet dyno (shows better numbers)

These numbers are corrected for being at the crank are they not? If so it actually kind bothers me, I plan on doing most of these modifications but was hoping for a little better numbers than +21hp
Old 03-20-2014, 10:24 AM   #16
Never Satisfied
Too many factors involved. A dyno you use will likely give you slightly different results, but if you made changes/mods you would use the same dyno to measure those results. I never had a dyno pull before any of the mods so I could not tell you what the benefit was of any mods added alone or together. Best thing to have done was get a dyno pull before any mods were ever added to the truck. But I never thought I was going to mod the truck as I have.

For instance, this dyno pull I could use the bigger numbers or smaller numbers. The smaller numbers are a lot more conservative, but I would use that parameter setup if I made any mods/changes in the future to understand the impact and would tune (if I had some sort of easily tunable electronics) using this dyno and this baseline.

These numbers are not a set in stone, 'this is what you will have if you dyno your truck' with these mods. You results will vary. But they are a conservative base guesstimate.

If it made me feel better, I can say the truck does 346 HP / 376 TQ, but that doesn't mean too much to me since I don't know which mods created the most improvement or was detrimental to gains. I simply wanted to provide my results. I'm sure the dyno could have been even more precisely setup to my trucks specs had I spent the time and money. The truth lies somewhere in between and at the timing lights.

My next mods are either IPT valve body or TrueTrac install. At some point they both will happen.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:34 PM   #18
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Your automatic right?
What gear was this done in?

It pulled all the way to redline?
Old 03-20-2014, 12:36 PM   #19
signalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Airborne Signal Soldier
Name: Robert
signalbobby's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaToy View Post
When did Toyota start using wideband sensors? I was under the impression stock sensors were narrowband.

I used a Bosch wideband sensor, EGT bung at the hottest cylinder for headers or at the collector for a turbo-manifold, knock sensor and pressure sensor. I had an all in 1 unit that all sensor fed into (can't remember the brand name).
Old 03-21-2014, 05:58 AM   #20
Vassily28 is on a distinguished road
Vassily28's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Too many factors involved. A dyno you use will likely give you slightly different results, but if you made changes/mods you would use the same dyno to measure those results. I never had a dyno pull before any of the mods so I could not tell you what the benefit was of any mods added alone or together. Best thing to have done was get a dyno pull before any mods were ever added to the truck. But I never thought I was going to mod the truck as I have.

For instance, this dyno pull I could use the bigger numbers or smaller numbers. The smaller numbers are a lot more conservative, but I would use that parameter setup if I made any mods/changes in the future to understand the impact and would tune (if I had some sort of easily tunable electronics) using this dyno and this baseline.

These numbers are not a set in stone, 'this is what you will have if you dyno your truck' with these mods. You results will vary. But they are a conservative base guesstimate.

If it made me feel better, I can say the truck does 346 HP / 376 TQ, but that doesn't mean too much to me since I don't know which mods created the most improvement or was detrimental to gains. I simply wanted to provide my results. I'm sure the dyno could have been even more precisely setup to my trucks specs had I spent the time and money. The truth lies somewhere in between and at the timing lights.

My next mods are either IPT valve body or TrueTrac install. At some point they both will happen.
I don't think your results are so conservative. I've exactly the mods except the URD Y-Pipe but i have the Doug thorley long tube headers and a MAF controller.

Whit this set up i've pulled 298.2 RWHP and 328.6 lbs-pi. So based on my own result, the thumb rule based on the pressure boost and other dynos seen on this site, 325/350 don't look like conservative. But TORSPD and the other TW gurus can comment that.

WOODEX, with all the mods except TRD SC, i've pulled 216/253, after with the SC 281/296 and later with the URD 2.85 pulley 298/329.

In NA conditions all the mods have produced something like 25HP/35lbs-pi. They are probably more efficient in SC conditions. But like said, it's a lot related to having or not reading on dyno and it should be the same dyno. My 3 runs were done on the same dynos with the same technician in a few days interval. Working now on a 4th and 5th run. 4th will be 70mm throttle body (a lot of people waiting for this one) and 5th with UCON and 7th injector when avalaible for 2009+