oil catch can

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-01-2014, 04:23 PM   #41
Menj309 is on a distinguished road

Name: Richard
Menj309's Tacoma Gallery
Subd
Old 03-03-2014, 06:21 PM   #42
Sacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Sacrifice's Tacoma Gallery
Here is my can after 100 miles. Smells of fuel but I know it has fuel, oil and water vapor in it. A lot different than dans.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:08 PM   #43
Oggy is on a distinguished road
Name: David
Oggy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacrifice View Post
Here's my small bracket I made. I'll redo it eventually cause its not as great as I want but it works for now. Installed at 1561 miles so the engine should stay clean most of its life.

Any chance you know the size of the bolts and thread for the factory holes? I have some old SAE bolts that are a hair too big and I dont wanna just use my impact to force them in and ruin the hole. I made my own bracket that I painted to make it look decent, im sure I will find a more professional looking bracket later but this will do for now.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:30 AM   #45
Oggy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Metric bolts.
Really?...
Old 03-04-2014, 09:17 AM   #46
Sacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Sacrifice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
Really?...
Yea they are metric. Believe 6mm by 10? But I'm not sure off the top of my head
Old 03-04-2014, 09:19 AM   #47
Kyle Butler has a brilliant futureKyle Butler has a brilliant futureKyle Butler has a brilliant futureKyle Butler has a brilliant futureKyle Butler has a brilliant futureKyle Butler has a brilliant futureKyle Butler has a brilliant futureKyle Butler has a brilliant futureKyle Butler has a brilliant futureKyle Butler has a brilliant futureKyle Butler has a brilliant future

Kyle Butler's Tacoma Gallery
I used an M8-1.25 bolt for the existing holes on the driver's side.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:47 AM   #49
Oggy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yea they are metric. Believe 6mm by 10? But I'm not sure off the top of my head
Oh I know they are, I work as a body tech for a living and was taken back by either his trolling or lack of willingness to contribute a decent answer.

Hmmmm, I will have to go to Ace and just start picking up some bolts. All I have lying around at home are SAE and I dont wanna take any from bolts from work.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:29 PM   #50
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Ground Equipment Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Here is my can after 100 miles. Smells of fuel but I know it has fuel, oil and water vapor in it. A lot different than dans.

Mine had a strong fuel odor to it, but was mostly oil.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:35 PM   #51
H.O.G Hunter Of Gunman
82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3/1 infantry sniper plt reach out and touch someone
Name: BUBBA
82 yotaman's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody have any mounting ideas I got a 13' 4.0 6speed the clutch master cylinder is in the exact place I was going to mount my can any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:19 PM   #52
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
Any chance you know the size of the bolts and thread for the factory holes? I have some old SAE bolts that are a hair too big and I dont wanna just use my impact to force them in and ruin the hole.I made my own bracket that I painted to make it look decent, im sure I will find a more professional looking bracket later but this will do for now.
At some point, that idea was contemplated. Thus my answer. I saved you through others' responses.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:12 AM   #53
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82 yotaman View Post
Anybody have any mounting ideas I got a 13' 4.0 6speed the clutch master cylinder is in the exact place I was going to mount my can any help would be appreciated.
I'm in the same boat. Would like to install a catch can but places are few and far between on mine as well for mounting.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:06 PM   #54
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Get enough fuel line and you can mount it damn near anywhere you want. Just make sure the hose doesn't sag too far or kink and you can put it in any open area of the engine bay
Old 03-05-2014, 03:03 PM   #55
H.O.G Hunter Of Gunman
82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

heres how I mounted my can with a 6 speed 4.0 4x4 13' dblcab. And no CEL
Attached Thumbnails
oil catch can-dscn0906.jpg   oil catch can-dscn0907.jpg   oil catch can-dscn0908.jpg  
Old 03-05-2014, 03:10 PM   #56
H.O.G Hunter Of Gunman

I used a piece of 1/8 flat stock that I had laying around and made the bracket to attach my can looks pretty good to me
Old 03-07-2014, 08:50 PM   #57
Oggy's Tacoma Gallery
Custom made a bracket and went to ace to get the right sized bolts the other day, it arrived in the mail today and put it right in. I used the stainless steel mesh idea and got an o-ring from my buddy, did the vacuum test and the dipstick did not want to come out at all. I'm kind of concerned I have too much hose and might be an issue, I used 2, 24" sections of hose. Not sure if I should cut a couple inches off or not, the suction when the truck was running was still really strong.

Also mine came with a small air filter that you can attach to the top, I assume our system should be a vacuum system and the filter would hurt performance?

EDIT: After 100 miles I took a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
oil catch can-20140307_125658.jpg   oil catch can-20140308_170520.jpg  
Old 03-10-2014, 02:48 AM   #58
Chapman is on a distinguished road
Chapman's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for posting this! Just bought mine from Amazon.. I've put this off for too long already @ 7k mi.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:13 AM   #59
Titles? We don't need no stinkin' titles.
bubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to behold

Name: Mike
bubba353z's Tacoma Gallery
Subd
Old 03-10-2014, 06:05 AM   #60
Bam-Ba-Lam

Just an FYI for those of you that do this. If you get a check engine light after the install, 99% chance you have an air leak somewhere in the system

Products Discussed in this Thread