Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-21-2014, 11:34 PM   #101
Oggy is on a distinguished road
Name: David
Oggy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriancast View Post
Questions.

1. What do you do with the oil that is catched?
2. For the oil that was caught, do you match that and put back in engine?
Throw it with the rest of your used oil or whatever container you have. Do not put it back in your truck what so ever.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:08 AM   #102
adriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: USMC
Name: Adrian
adriancast's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
Throw it with the rest of your used oil or whatever container you have. Do not put it back in your truck what so ever.
So for the oil you toss out, do you put new oil back in around the same amount?
Old 03-22-2014, 07:12 AM   #103
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Ground Equipment Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriancast View Post
So for the oil you toss out, do you put new oil back in around the same amount?
Just keep an eye on your oil level and add if necessary. I have about 1/8th of a pint of oil it has caught in 1500miles. There shouldbe no reason to add oil I between service intervals
Old 03-22-2014, 07:16 AM   #104
adriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: USMC
Name: Adrian
adriancast's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective_Dan View Post
Just keep an eye on your oil level and add if necessary. I have about 1/8th of a pint of oil it has caught in 1500miles. There shouldbe no reason to add oil I between service intervals
Thanks.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:46 AM   #105
wannabetrd has much to be proud ofwannabetrd has much to be proud ofwannabetrd has much to be proud ofwannabetrd has much to be proud ofwannabetrd has much to be proud ofwannabetrd has much to be proud ofwannabetrd has much to be proud ofwannabetrd has much to be proud ofwannabetrd has much to be proud of

Name: Zach
wannabetrd's Tacoma Gallery
Oil catch can

Where do you hook the rubber lines from the catch can to
Old 03-22-2014, 07:47 AM   #106
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabetrd View Post
Where do you hook the rubber lines from the catch can to
The pcv hose. It's about a 6 inch rubber hose running on the driver side behind a large bracket. It goes from the crankcase to the intake after the throttle body
Old 03-22-2014, 08:16 AM   #108
wannabetrd has much to be proud ofwannabetrd has much to be proud ofwannabetrd has much to be proud ofwannabetrd has much to be proud ofwannabetrd has much to be proud ofwannabetrd has much to be proud ofwannabetrd has much to be proud ofwannabetrd has much to be proud ofwannabetrd has much to be proud of

Name: Zach
wannabetrd's Tacoma Gallery
Catch can

Thanks a lot for sure my next mod
Old 03-26-2014, 09:29 AM   #109
dispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
dispatch55126's Tacoma Gallery
Another question on this. Besides not burning this sludge, what are the other benefits? Are there performance gains? I'll probably put it on anyways since I do alot of highway driving which means high RPM's on a 4 cylinder but was wondering if I'd "feel" any differences.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:39 AM   #110
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by dispatch55126 View Post
Another question on this. Besides not burning this sludge, what are the other benefits? Are there performance gains? I'll probably put it on anyways since I do alot of highway driving which means high RPM's on a 4 cylinder but was wondering if I'd "feel" any differences.
not gonna feel any difference. it will just help maintain engine cleanliness
Old 03-26-2014, 10:32 AM   #111
philvet is on a distinguished road
Name: Phil
philvet's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a newbie here, but after reading this post I could not keep my mouth shut. The oil you are catching in the can is normally put thru the intake and gets burned up in the combustion chamber it does not gum up any part of the internal parts of the engine. I would also be concerned that you are pulling that much oil out of the engine in only 100 miles
Old 03-26-2014, 10:54 AM   #112
GotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
GotExhaust's Tacoma Gallery
If it hasn't been mentioned you can also use a "shower poof" (technical name?) inside the catch can. They're like .50 so I typically just toss them and replace with another one when cleaning out catch cans. You look a little fruity buying them, but deep down inside you know it's for something manly.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:59 AM   #113
Sacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Sacrifice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by philvet View Post
I'm a newbie here, but after reading this post I could not keep my mouth shut. The oil you are catching in the can is normally put thru the intake and gets burned up in the combustion chamber it does not gum up any part of the internal parts of the engine. I would also be concerned that you are pulling that much oil out of the engine in only 100 miles
That's our entire point of catching it? So it doesn't go in the intake.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:02 AM   #114
GotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotExhaust is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
GotExhaust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's oil that would normally be sucked straight into your air intake tube, through the throttle body and into the intake manifold, and ingested in places where oil isn't necessarily supposed to go. The crankcase vent has a hose coming off it to expel gasses into the intake tube, but some of the oil in the valve train that's sloshing and spraying around will inevitably go along for the ride. The catch can isn't "pulling" oil out of the engine and any faster of a rate than before, it's simply "catching" it before it gets sucked into the air intake. It's not as important or drastic on naturally aspirated vehicles, but on supercharged engines the problem is exacerbated.

When you allow an oily film to collect on the surfaces of your air intake components, all kinds of grime gets attracted to it and the oil its self begins to build up. Over time it can cause a buildup of sludge, rough idle, etc. It's not the end of the world, but it certainly doesn't hurt to install the catch can, especially if you drive your truck hard on or off-road.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:25 AM   #115
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotExhaust View Post
That's oil that would normally be sucked straight into your air intake tube, through the throttle body and into the intake manifold, and ingested in places where oil isn't necessarily supposed to go.
the pcv hose injects the oil/air mixture after the throttle body, directly into the intake manifold. not into the air intake tube before the throttle body
Old 03-26-2014, 11:28 AM   #116
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
and its really not that much oil. i have about 1/16th - 1/12th of a normal sized nestle water bottle filled up after 2k miles
Old 03-26-2014, 04:15 PM   #117
blah blah blah
inesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

inesshell's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to inesshell
just did this mod......thanks op. I forgot how expensive fuel line is by the foot.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:48 PM   #118
st101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedst101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedst101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedst101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedst101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedst101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedst101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedst101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedst101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedst101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedst101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Space Operations
st101's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The filter on top is a breather. You can use that one if you wish, but you'll then need to cap the intake side of the pcv instead of running the intake hose back to it
What do you recommend on this issue?
Mine arrived today with the top-mount breather. To use or not to use, that is the question
Old 03-26-2014, 06:24 PM   #119
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by st101 View Post
What do you recommend on this issue?
Mine arrived today with the top-mount breather. To use or not to use, that is the question
Either return it, or cap the intake side
Old 03-26-2014, 06:34 PM   #120
st101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedst101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedst101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedst101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedst101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedst101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedst101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedst101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedst101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedst101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedst101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Space Operations
st101's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Either return it, or cap the intake side
The one I got doesn't have the breather pre-installed -- it came out of the box with the top of the canister already capped. It looks just like the one in this photo:

Quote:
To add the breather I'd have to install it to the can. So there shouldn't be any issue, then, right?

Products Discussed in this Thread