Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

oil catch can

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-25-2014, 03:15 PM   #1
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Ground Equipment Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
oil catch can

hey gents,

just finished installing my Add W1 oil catch can. i bought it off amazon, free 2 day shipping for $89 at my door. I ordered it on a Thursday evening and it was at my door at 10am on Saturday.

it seems to be pretty damn high quality. all machined aluminum parts, with 15mm and 9mm fittings. i used the 9mm fittings and bought 8ft of 7/16" fuel line because the line that comes with it is kinda shitty.

just a fore-warning to those of you who cant tell from the pictures; no, i dont have massive hands, this can is just pretty tiny. even though it is small, there is no need to worry because the amount that i caught over a 5000 mile period can be held in the reservoir with room to spare.

whats in the box? everything you need (unless you want different line like i did)

the can even has a sealed dipstick so you can check the oil level without having to unscrew the whole can.

i put an o-ring on the dipstick just to re-assure myself that it is sealed, so bust out your handy dandy o-ring kit if you have one

i mounted it above the driver wheel well behind the battery. also, make sure you use teflon tape to seal the tube fittings on the can

then remove your PCV, run your lines and hose clamp them. FROM engine goes to the inlet, TO intake goes on the outlet.

then start her up, and check for a seal and no CEL's.

you can hear the tight seal and vacuum when i pull out the dipstick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fMFJ...ature=youtu.be

ill update this thread every so often to show the amount of oil that has been caught

EDIT: 31 January 2014

after only 4 days and 100 miles of driving, it has caught about 3 tablespoons of oil. the unit has already paid for itself in my eyes

UPDATE as of 26 April 2014:

heres what ive got after 2,500 miles exactly. this is a normal sized nestle water bottle. (duct tape is on it so it doesnt leak because im moving lol)

UPDATE as of 30 June 2014

this is what ive got after 5000 miles on the dot. 16.9 fl oz water bottle

Old 01-25-2014, 06:41 PM   #3
TXPRO4X4 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bryan
TXPRO4X4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wing103 View Post
can you tell me what is it good for? better gas mileage?
it catches gases and oil vapor that is recirculated back into the intake. look for more threads at the bottom.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:11 PM   #4
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
It replaces your pcv hose. Positive crankcase ventilation. All of the blowby gases that would normally be injected back through your intake after the throttlebody, get trapped in the can, instead of being "burned off" by the motor. It causes gunk buildup in the motor so this prevents that from happening. You just empty it every few thousand miles or so
Old 01-25-2014, 07:47 PM   #5
Lord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Mar Div
Name: Nick
Lord Helmet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
blow by gases. keeps the combustion chamber, throttle body, and maf clean

BTW nice write up Detective Dan, I plan to add the other one on the passenger side too
Old 01-26-2014, 04:43 AM   #6
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Butterfly catcher
Old 01-26-2014, 08:46 AM   #7
Bam-Ba-Lam

Dream catcher
Old 01-26-2014, 10:24 AM   #8
Bam-Ba-Lam

i put a chunk of stainless steel scrub brush in the baffle so that the oil vapor has something to stick and condense to. no pic of it but you get the idea. the baffle unscrews so you can put whatever filter media you want in it.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:18 PM   #10
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Dang. That is a pretty nice piece. Good find Dan.
Thanks toe. For $89, I couldn't not give it a try. I've bought cans almost twice this much with equal or lesser build quality on them. You're basically paying for a name brand at that point
Old 01-27-2014, 05:22 PM   #11
Bam-Ba-Lam

I would absolutely recommend this can to anyone. Great quality at good price. Plus it doesn't have those shitty sight tubes or draincocks at the bottom that are prone to leaking
Old 01-29-2014, 05:36 PM   #12
Bam-Ba-Lam

after EXACTLY 100 miles of driving, i popped it open to check what has been collected. quite a bit for only 100 miles. cant wait to see what it will catch in the next few thousand

Old 02-05-2014, 11:20 PM   #13
RedLantern is on a distinguished road

RedLantern's Tacoma Gallery
Nice one Dan. I think i have their older can on my truck. I have yet to see if it will collect anything once i get my truck back from the shop lol.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:03 AM   #14
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLantern View Post
Nice one Dan. I think i have their older can on my truck. I have yet to see if it will collect anything once i get my truck back from the shop lol.
Does the older model have the baffle to put mesh in? If so I recommend it. It's catching more now that the vapor has something to condense on.

Don't use anything really fibrous like steel wool. Really small stuff has the capabilities of breaking apart and going into your intake
Old 02-06-2014, 08:22 AM   #15
RedLantern is on a distinguished road

RedLantern's Tacoma Gallery
no baffle..ill end up modifying it at work tho.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:14 AM   #16
BlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud of
Navy: EM1 Coastal Warfare
BlackSportD's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BlackSportD
Very good looking can, looks to catch very well too.

Googleing around, I can't find the actual companies home page or website... anyone have their homepage?
Old 02-12-2014, 12:32 PM   #17
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSportD View Post
Very good looking can, looks to catch very well too.

Googleing around, I can't find the actual companies home page or website... anyone have their homepage?
this is the exact one i ordered from the exact same company. just make sure to get some new 7/16'ths fuel line because you need to use the smaller nipples with this can on our engines. + the hose that comes with it is crap

http://www.amazon.com/ADD-W1-Univers...+oil+catch+can
Old 02-12-2014, 01:23 PM   #18
BlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud of
Navy: EM1 Coastal Warfare
BlackSportD's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BlackSportD
I ask because I'm curious about the company itself. They seem to make air fuel gauges, HUDs etc, but I had never heard of them before and its now very interesting to me that I can't find any info on them.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:56 PM   #19
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSportD View Post
I ask because I'm curious about the company itself. They seem to make air fuel gauges, HUDs etc, but I had never heard of them before and its now very interesting to me that I can't find any info on them.
ive never heard of them before either, but im very impressed with the quality and finish of it for the price
Old 02-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #20
Sacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Sacrifice's Tacoma Gallery
oil catch can

Did you fab up a bracket for this? I see the two holes that are there from factory but I see you still used the two small bolts that came with the can? Just received mine today so hopefully installing it tomorrow.

Edit: saw there were nuts for those two, so I take it you just drilled two holes and then bolted through the fender wall?

Products Discussed in this Thread