Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Substantial lack of power, questions for anyone willing to comment.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #1
Kuhl29 is just really niceKuhl29 is just really niceKuhl29 is just really niceKuhl29 is just really niceKuhl29 is just really nice

EMS: Emt-I
Name: Ian
Kuhl29's Tacoma Gallery
Substantial lack of power, questions for anyone willing to comment.

Alright gents,
So, I have done a small amount of work to my taco, and am curious about getting new and substantial gains. I know people talk about their opinions on forced induction, but that solution seems a little exravagant and overpriced. Let's discuss power options for my truck. $$ is not an issue in regards to solution, but I would prefer not to drop 3500 on an FI system when I can try to find gains n/a.

Truck: '07 Tacoma, 6cyl. 4.0l
Current mods: trd intake, magnaflow exhaust.... (Not much)
Debating re-gear to justify the 33" tires.

I did some research on popular suggestions. Intake manifold spacers, which don't really show any true results, seem to be a popular suggestion. Any official proof as to performance gains? Headers are another popular suggestion, but I live in California, so long tubes are not legal. Chips are common as well, but I've seen too many friends destroy motors by fucking withe the fuel/air ratio, and I have no intrest in blowing up my dirty girl....

The floor is now yours. Leave suggestions, options, research, facts, and your own personal experiments/experiences with tuning, mods or motor work. I want power, lots of it, so let's get my dirty girl spinning tires again. Please keep posts civil and respectful. Thank you.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:58 PM   #2
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
No talk of street racing allowed... May wanna edit ur post
Old 01-28-2014, 04:58 PM   #3
-Solve et Coagula-
Silence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Silence9's Tacoma Gallery
Supercharger will be the biggest gain in power. Bigger wheels will slow you down. Exhaust is good too.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:00 PM   #4
Kuhl29 is just really niceKuhl29 is just really niceKuhl29 is just really niceKuhl29 is just really niceKuhl29 is just really nice

Kuhl29's Tacoma Gallery
Noted changing now.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:01 PM   #5
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Ur asking for "lots of power" and money not being an issue, but dont wanna commit to a blower.

Ur not gunna get "lots of power" without forced induction.

Maybe a few here and there but nothing like boost

Ur not gunna find chips anyhow so dont worry about ur buddies trucks.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:02 PM   #6

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Look up the username Torspd and follow any links in his signature
Old 01-28-2014, 05:02 PM   #7
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Without either forced induction or an engine swap you are essentially not going to get any real noticeable power gains.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:06 PM   #8

Kuhl29's Tacoma Gallery
Is that truly the best and only true power mod? And thank you, I will look him up, I appreciate the feedback.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:07 PM   #9

Kuhl29's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacolover55 View Post
Without either forced induction or an engine swap you are essentially not going to get any real noticeable power gains.
I see.... Thank you.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:11 PM   #10

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhl29 View Post
Is that truly the best and only true power mod? And thank you, I will look him up, I appreciate the feedback.
Best..... Yes

Only, no

But an instant bump from 236hp crank to 300+ on avg is nice, plus u can still use other bolt ons, and swap the pulley after taking fuel system precautions.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:06 PM   #12

Kuhl29's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Best..... Yes

Only, no

But an instant bump from 236hp crank to 300+ on avg is nice, plus u can still use other bolt ons, and swap the pulley after taking fuel system precautions.
Fair enough. Thank you for the information. I do appreciate it.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:43 AM   #13
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
I'll just post here

The links in my sig have a substantial amount of dyno graphs. Including the mods listed.

Lucario Runner is likely the highest HP/TQ N/A 1GR, on a stock engine, out there.

If you want gains, and live in CA, then you need to keep your stock parts. The good thing is, that you have an '07.

You want good N/A gains that stay in place if you get a TRD s/c down the line (all exhaust and tuning can be retained if you decided to get the URD s/c), then you need the AFe intake, URD Spec-U long tube headers, URD Y-pipe, 2.5" Catback, and a UCON EMS (as is basically the most user friendly plug n play aftermarket EMS on the market). They are plenty other available for your year model as well.

Further would be the larger FJ throttle body and adapter from URD.

That will net you around 260-270 whp and ~300+ wtq. All N/A. And considering that stock is about 198whp, 235wtq, that is a huge gain.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:50 PM   #14

Kuhl29's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
I'll just post here

The links in my sig have a substantial amount of dyno graphs. Including the mods listed.

Lucario Runner is likely the highest HP/TQ N/A 1GR, on a stock engine, out there.

If you want gains, and live in CA, then you need to keep your stock parts. The good thing is, that you have an '07.

You want good N/A gains that stay in place if you get a TRD s/c down the line (all exhaust and tuning can be retained if you decided to get the URD s/c), then you need the AFe intake, URD Spec-U long tube headers, URD Y-pipe, 2.5" Catback, and a UCON EMS (as is basically the most user friendly plug n play aftermarket EMS on the market). They are plenty other available for your year model as well.

Further would be the larger FJ throttle body and adapter from URD.

That will net you around 260-270 whp and ~300+ wtq. All N/A. And considering that stock is about 198whp, 235wtq, that is a huge gain.
Wow, I was going to search you up today when I got off work. I really appreciate the information. I will definitely take all of that into account when getting ready to buy. Thanks again.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:05 PM   #17

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggbert View Post
What's a Lucario?

quoted for greatness

go Racecouch
Old 03-17-2014, 11:05 AM   #19

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario Runner View Post
I would think that would qualify for sig material, no?
agreed
Old 03-17-2014, 11:15 AM   #20
Lord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Mar Div
Name: Nick
Lord Helmet's Tacoma Gallery
Short of what Torspd have said already, your own restriction of no force induction will greatly limit your choices. You can cam the engine or stroke it but then again you live in the nazi state of california so smog test "might" result in fail.