1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replace JBA with URD Headers, or URD Y Pipe?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by TacomaGus, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Jan 29, 2014 at 6:40 PM
    TacomaGus

TacomaGus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    Tinted Tails, TRD Shift Knob, Kenwood Headunit, Ebay BHLM Lights, Trimmed Mud Flaps, 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2's, WeatherTech Mats, Black Badges, Sylvania ZXE Bulbs, AFE Stage 2 Si Intake, 17x8.5 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, URD SS, Custom 2.5" Catback with Aero 2525 and Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator, URD MAF CAL, JBA LT Headers, OME 884's, Nitrochargers, Dakars with 3rd lead removed, Light Racing UCA's
    If I'm going to spend $5-600 on performance mods again, I want to spend it wisely.

I currently have the URD Maf cal, afe stage 2 si intake, JBA LT headers, stock y and a full 2.5" exhaust with a vibrant ultra quiet resonator and Aero 2525. I am N/A but someday hope to S/C.

Would It benefit me more to get the y-pipe, or the new headers from URD? I see that many say you lose all your low end when you are catless without a blower. Hence my thinking that maybe just getting the new headers would be more beneficial until I do get the S/C.

Suggestions?

2. Jan 30, 2014 at 7:48 AM
    TacomaGus

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    Tinted Tails, TRD Shift Knob, Kenwood Headunit, Ebay BHLM Lights, Trimmed Mud Flaps, 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2's, WeatherTech Mats, Black Badges, Sylvania ZXE Bulbs, AFE Stage 2 Si Intake, 17x8.5 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, URD SS, Custom 2.5" Catback with Aero 2525 and Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator, URD MAF CAL, JBA LT Headers, OME 884's, Nitrochargers, Dakars with 3rd lead removed, Light Racing UCA's
    Also debating the Intake manifold spacer, or larger FJ throttle body. Would either of those be better than replacing headers or putting on an aftermarket Y?

If we are going with purely numbers then it seems like the Y pipe would net me the biggest boost, I just don't want all my power moved up top w/o a blower

3. Jan 30, 2014 at 10:56 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    truthfully, Id leave it alone unless ur having issues with the current headers.

maybe the manifold spacer for now......... I cant say much bout the TB cuz I dont know enough.

SInce the blower isnt cheap, Save the money from other bolt ons..... no single bolt on will yield the sheer fun/hp factor as much as forced induction.

and I mean that as comparing a single part to the blower.... like headers alone vs blower, or y pipe alone vs blower.

get the fuel pump upgraded for now, so when u throw the blower on, u will have a proper fuel supply that wont drop off on high demand, and u will also have an external fuel filter which u will love!

just my 2 cents.

I had the intention of going n/a with a lot of bolt ons for the fun factor until I screwed up my tq curve.

I immediatley ordered the blower the next business day.

I tried this setup N/A and its what made the tq curve suck and I HATED driving the truck:

• URD TCAI
    • doug thorley long tubes (second gen with 4 bungs)
    • URD y pipe
    • URD MAF calibrator
    • URD 02 simulators
    • new front 02 sensors
    • URD MK2 3" catback exhaust

your results may be different since no 2 trucks are identical and u have different headers, intake, and smaller exhaust (3" is overkill n/a IMHO)

4. Jan 30, 2014 at 10:57 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    and trust me.........I got ALL my torque back down low like I wanted it, plus a TON more than I started with I assume with the blower :)

5. Jan 31, 2014 at 12:27 PM
    Street Runner

Street Runner Active Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport BSP
    TRD CAI, JBA LT's, TRD CatBack, Hellwig Sway Bars, SS Brake Lines
    The intake manifold spacer worked wonders to restore the low end torque I lost when I installed the LT's. At just over $200 this part is a gift.

6. Jan 31, 2014 at 1:39 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    The Y-pipe doesn't "move" the power band. It just frees up the restriction so that more power is available in the mid to upper RPMs. Based off of what the dyno graphs show from Lucario Runner.

I just wish that we had a manual to do the same before and after test on, so that below 3k RPMs would be visible.

To bad Gadget doesn't do that test, since he does have a dyno now.....:eek:

7. Feb 3, 2014 at 6:17 PM
    TacomaGus

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    agreed, sure would be nice haha

8. Feb 3, 2014 at 6:19 PM
    TacomaGus

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    Thanks for all the input guys

Products Discussed in

To Top