1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Edge Insight CTS or individual gauges

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by kckrawford, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Jan 30, 2014 at 11:10 PM
    kckrawford

kckrawford [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Longview, TX
    Vehicle:
    01 DC Ltd. TRD 4x4
    So i've been racking my brain on which is the better route here. If you have seen my recent thread in 1st gen section, I am putting a TRD supercharger on my 2001 DC Tacoma. Also installing all of the URD goodies along with headers and exhaust. Now one of the things i'm running into is how I want monitor everything.

Things that I think are essential to be monitored.

Transmission Temp
    Oil Pressure
    Coolant Temp
    Air/Fuel Ratio
    Boost pressure

Couple other things that I'd possibly like to monitor:

EGT
    Fuel Pressure
    Possibly Voltage
    Possibly Oil Temperature

So here is the dilemma. The only Pillar pod that I can find is the 2 pod which isn't going to work. Just not enough. 3 would be nice but can't seem to find one.

I really also don't want to have 5-7 individual gauges to stare at, plus then i'd have to build custom bracket to hold the other 3 even with the pillar.

With the Edge insight, they have the EAS (Edge accessory system) in which you can add pressure sensors and temperature sensors and name them to monitor whatever you want. Everything would be on one nice little gauge display that you can also set alarms to alert you if anything is out of whack.

The only problem with the EDGE, and I might call them tomorrow on this, is the AFR. I'm not sure if you can hook up a Wideband 02 sensor to the Edge to monitor your AFR. On this one, I might have to go with an actual gauge kit; something like the innovate motorsports one. But I really don't want the look of having 1 actual round gauge and then the edge insight. To me I don't think that it would look right in the truck. As far as tranny temp, boost, coolant temp, oil pressure can all be monitored through the edge. Does anybody know if this is possible? And what is everyone's suggestion. Individual gauges or Edge Insight CTS?

2. Jan 30, 2014 at 11:12 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    I don't have any input for you, but i was just contemplating a insight CTS for my truck.
    I only found out about them after looking for a multi-gauge display for my dads 6.0.

3. Jan 30, 2014 at 11:45 PM
    kckrawford

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Longview, TX
    Vehicle:
    01 DC Ltd. TRD 4x4
    I've got an insight on my 09 DMax. It monitors everything that I could ask for. The only thing that I had to add to it was the EGT sensor.

What's nice about the Edge EAS is that you only run one wire into the cab. Everything else ties together underneath the hood.

4. Feb 22, 2014 at 4:36 PM
    keninsb

keninsb "Senior", Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    KC I just bought an Edge CTS and I say go with the Edge. I was playing around with it last night and was blown away by all the options (parameters covered and display options). A little pricey, but it is VERY cool. I like the expandability and ability to upgrade and personalize software. The only thing that I am a little disappointed in is that they are geared towards domestic vehicles. I did speak to someone at Edge and they are anticipating incorporating more foreign vehicles. I like the dash pods they sell (am not a big fan of windshield mounts) but again they don't have one for the Tacoma so I am looking at modding a Ford or Dodge pod to fit. I will also say that the window mount that comes with the unit is really beefy. It has a mechanized suction cup that REALLY gets a good grip and the linkage and mount are pretty stout so the CTS isn't bouncing all over when driving over bumps. I REALLY like it.
    Ken

5. Feb 23, 2014 at 7:22 AM
    kckrawford

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Longview, TX
    Vehicle:
    01 DC Ltd. TRD 4x4
    Ken,

I hooked up my edge insight to the tacoma, and here are a few problems. For starters the insight can't read the trans temp so you would need a temp sensor for that. Would also need a sensor for the oil pressure. I spoke with Edge and it can't read a wide band o2 sensor so you have to have a separate for that. It will read boost but won't read vacuum so you need a stand alone gauge for that. So all in all, it's almost worth just going with the stand alone gauges since you are going to have to have a couple stand alone and buy all the sensors anyways. I think i'm just going to go with stand alone gauges on the tacoma, and will keep the insight for the duramax.

6. Feb 23, 2014 at 9:22 AM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    Gotcha KC. I knew about the trans temp and oil pressure, I am planning to add those to the gauge. Personally I would rather have the one CTS versus several individual gauges, but that is just a personal preference. I do like the fact that the CTS has the roll and pitch meters. Some people are modding their Tacos and installing the roll/pitch/compass setup that sits on top of the dash from the FJ. I was thinking about that mod myself, but now won't have to.
    Anyway, to each his own. Glad that you found a solution and hope everything works out for you!

7. Mar 2, 2014 at 12:37 PM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    I just checked the parameters listed on my CTS and do not see transmission temp? I have ECT (Engine Coolant Temp), but no trans temp. I also checked it with an Ultra Gauge and same thing. Does anyone know if they still cover that parameter on the '13 Tacoma? If it is, then it must be a parameter that falls outside of OBD II required parameters and is only available via "enhanced" software that picks up manufacturer specific data. Does anyone know?
    Thanks,
    Ken

8. May 19, 2014 at 10:15 AM
    jst3751

jst3751 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DBL Cab
    Shell, Rear Axle Aire Lift kit, Inverter, Dual battery kit.
    I have recently bought and attached a Edge CTS Insight to my 2008 Tacoma V6 and I have a couple questions for those that have done this.

During initial setup, what vehicle information do you chose since there is no Toyota Tacoma option?

Do you use the Average MPG gauge and is it accurate?

Did you go through the tire size adjustment?

Which gauges are you using? I am interested in 2 things: Monitoring for fuel economy and performance while towing.

9. May 19, 2014 at 11:20 AM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    I set up the CTS on my '13 Taco temporarily just to check it out, but have not installed it permanently, I am still in process of mounting a boost sensor and transmission fluid temp sensor. I do remember vaguely that when I set it up there was some option for "other" on the vehicle manufacturer selection and that is what I used. The CTS then detects what version of OBD II software is running on the vehicle. I did also put in the tire size diameter, but did not play with the average mpg, etc.
    If I were you I would give Edge a call and see what they have to say. I spoke to and emailed a couple of people there urging them to add Toyota enhanced data coverage, maybe if they get enough calls they will pursue it (they did seem genuinely interested when I spoke to them). I think the Insight is a SWEET setup with great visuals, ability to upgrade and I like the touch screen, but they do lack the enhanced data that ScanGauge and UltraGauge have at half the cost.
    Anyway, sorry I could not be more help.
    Ken

10. May 19, 2014 at 12:21 PM
    jst3751

jst3751 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DBL Cab
    Shell, Rear Axle Aire Lift kit, Inverter, Dual battery kit.
    Other Domestic or Other international?

11. May 19, 2014 at 12:29 PM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    I am pretty sure I selected Other International. I am pretty sure that it does not matter because when you make the selection, the CTS checks the system to see what protocol is running. Once it knows the protocol, it will display whatever parameters are available. Heck, try both and see if there is a difference, it won't hurt anything.
    Ken

Products Discussed in

To Top