Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Urd Cai

Old 09-29-2007, 07:59 PM   #1
Jesse_Craw is on a distinguished road
Jesse_Craw's Tacoma Gallery
Urd Cai

I cant tell from the web site but does the grill need to be removed to accommodate this CAI. Also, if it rains do you think water could be sucked into the engine 'cause its exposed like that?
Old 09-29-2007, 08:17 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
grille doesnt need to be removed. u cut a small hole/section out of the metal beside the passenger headlight, but the grille still fits. a few people on here have them and grille's as well. as far as rain, i have no idea. pb2 has one, maybe he'll chime in on the topic.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:48 AM   #3
lkout4trucks is on a distinguished road

lkout4trucks's Tacoma Gallery
ok i know these are pictures from my colorado BUT you guys should give this mod a try. it made a nice difference in my truck and provides the same cold air as the intake you are talking about.

Run a tube (3" diameter seems to be the best) from your CLOSED off stock intake box down to the bumper or behind the grill or some other lower location without putting too many bends in the line.

--if you are worried the tube is too far down run it just to behind your grille.

as for your piping from the air box to your TB a nice straight pipe is also good to have:

final product looks stock and clean but will give you better performance than a $300 k&n or aem or w/e company sells stuff for the tacos:

**As far as the urd cai goes -i would say that rain might not be a big issue but in heavy rain it prob would be. if you do any type of offroading i would say be careful cuz if your gonna get mud/water on that thing for sure.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:29 PM   #4
SDroots27 is on a distinguished road
SDroots27's Tacoma Gallery
Quick question: IN an 2005 Tacoma, where the hell is the air intake. It appears to be coming from the wheel well. I'm used to seeing air taken in on the front in sports luxury sedans which I am used to driving. Was unable to find where air actually enters into engine area.

Thanks, Matt, SD
Old 10-01-2007, 12:36 PM   #5
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
People use the K&N filter cover to prevent the water from getting in there. This TCAI is not recommended if you plan on your Tacoma swimming or taking big mud baths.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:37 PM   #6
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
You should also look into the TRD intake. It is a bit more shielded and takes air in from the wheel well. Also, there is no cutting required.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:25 PM   #7

this cai will basically get thrashed at even the car wash. so keep that in mind. the idea of it getting cold air right there is awesome but pretty much not thought out well imo.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:03 AM   #8
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Before my brother wrecked my beloved Beamer i was about to buy a CAI froma friend. My model car had 4 headlights, 2 high and 2 low. The intake i was going to buy actually takes the place of one of the high beams so it's completely exposed. i was only doing this because it was going to be a weekend driver and i wasnt going to rely on it for everyday (bad weather) use. If it were my every day driver, i would never have an exposed intake like that. if you're driving your truck everyday, i woudl look at one of the CAI that actually fits inside the engine compartment. i'm sure you get better performance pulling in cold air from in front of the grille, but its not worth the water and debris that can get in your engine. just my two cents
Old 10-02-2007, 09:07 PM   #9
Can speak french in Russian.
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
Geeze, you guys are scaring the hell out of me. Im calling and canceling my order tomorrow. I hope they havent shipped yet. Ill go with the TRD CAI instead.

Ted
Old 10-02-2007, 09:09 PM   #10
Spyder327 is on a distinguished road

Spyder327's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Spyder327
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonKs View Post
Geeze, you guys are scaring the hell out of me. Im calling and canceling my order tomorrow. I hope they havent shipped yet. Ill go with the TRD CAI instead.

Ted
It's no where near the scariness that you think.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:37 PM   #11
Can speak french in Russian.
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
URD's not too far from where I live. Maby Ill drive down there and have them nail down the scariness level.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:54 PM   #12

or tell them to build a more practical setup....show them mine and see what they say. its not too complicated but has given me such good results. most effective intake ive ever had or seen on a truck
Old 10-02-2007, 10:59 PM   #13
SDroots27 is on a distinguished road
SDroots27's Tacoma Gallery
RE: CAI's - - Aside from hearing things on this forum about the K&N screwing up the air flow sensor gauge, I've been talking to all the peformance guys at autoanything and performanceproducts and they all say that the K&N is the best, only you can't put too much oil on it when you reapply at say, 20,000 or 25,000 miles. The oil is what actually traps a lot of the debris that might make it into the engine.

Also, re: CAI covered like the TRD vs. uncovered K&N they said that this doesn't really prove to be cause any issues with the K&N and that there shouldn't be any worries that it will take in heat from the engine. The same guys at autoanything and performanceproducts said that recently when AFE did tests on it's air flow through their own setups that the uncovered units worked more efficiently.

Does anyone not like K&N for any reason. I just ordered the 63 series.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:03 AM   #14
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkout4trucks View Post
or tell them to build a more practical setup....show them mine and see what they say. its not too complicated but has given me such good results. most effective intake ive ever had or seen on a truck
I'm not trying to bash your set up at all, but that intake just looks like trouble to me. I'm sure it pulls in plenty of cool air due to its location, it just seems like when you it a big puddle your going to completely drown your engine. With it being so close to the ground it seems like its just waiting to suck up water like a wet-vac. Is this not a concern for you?
Old 10-03-2007, 06:37 AM   #15

the intake i have was actually a members mod project over on coloradofans.com there are prob 100s of members who have this mod or their own variation of it. i have ran my truck in serious downpouring rain and then pulled off the highway and the box has had nothing more than a small trail of water going from the stock inlet to the run-off hole in the bottom of the box. even in the winter while driving in 1-2 ft. of snow the only issue i have found is that the snow will clog my new inlet and then the motor will simply grab from the stock inlet.

a few members that are big on offroading have ran their tubes to behind the grille instead so that it is higher up. i havent heard a single member say they have had an issue. i think there are a couple guys who do put a plug on the new inlet from inside the box if they plan on going serious mudding but other than that the majority of people seem to be more than happy with the results.

Volant intakes actually do a cai tube that is almost identical to this setup accept they run their to BELOW the bumper....even lower! but imo they look funny.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:21 PM   #16

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, i stand corrected. Although being as stubborn as i am, and considering the price of these trucks, i just dont think i could have an exposed intake on my truck. Now that i think about it, the length of the hose and the fact that it's vertical probably helps keep water from being sucked up in large amounts. I'm sure it's a perfectly good set up, just not for me
Old 10-03-2007, 01:09 PM   #17

word! if you want a bigger inlet consider widening your stock inlet on the fender.